Reload this Page >

Help with I-134

Help with I-134

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

JustAGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with I-134

Hi group,

I need help with the I-134 needed for my interview in the K-1 process.

My fiancee does not fulfill the income requirements stated in the poverty guidelines.
The household size including me would be 4 persons and therefore $22.625 will be needed to qualify as a sponsor.

My question is: can she add the child support money she receives from her ex husband add to her income?

What about life insurance?

Further: What documents and/or proof is needed if she will be using assets like her life insurance and personal property?

When we get a joint sponsor, does he/she need to fill out the I-134 or I-864 ?

And if we can't find a joint sponsor and she won't fulfill the requirements, can we count my assets to hers? Or can I transfer money to her account so she fulfills the requirements?

Thanks in advance for any help,

JAG
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with I-134

Originally posted by JustAGuy
Hi group,

I need help with the I-134 needed for my interview in the K-1 process.

My fiancee does not fulfill the income requirements stated in the poverty guidelines.
The household size including me would be 4 persons and therefore $22.625 will be needed to qualify as a sponsor.

My question is: can she add the child support money she receives from her ex husband add to her income?

What about life insurance?

Further: What documents and/or proof is needed if she will be using assets like her life insurance and personal property?

When we get a joint sponsor, does he/she need to fill out the I-134 or I-864 ?

And if we can't find a joint sponsor and she won't fulfill the requirements, can we count my assets to hers? Or can I transfer money to her account so she fulfills the requirements?

Thanks in advance for any help,

JAG
I don't know about life insurance but we used child support money to count for the I 134.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Ptarmigan,

did you just add the child support money to the sponsors income without further explanation, or did you attach a paper to the affidavit stating the annual income PLUS the child support money.

The proof would be the divorce decree which states the amount of child support to be paid.

Any ideas about life insurance? Anybody?

THanks,

JAG
Old Jul 24th 2002, 4:20 pm
Mrtravel@Sbcglo

Child support, yes.. Life Insurance.. Need more info.

You couldn't use one time life insurance proceeds and count them as annual income.
You could use the proceeds at 1/5 for income, the same as other assets. If the policy
has cash value, then you could also use it at 1/5 of the value toward the annual
income. If it is a policy that only has value if you die, then you wouldn't be able
to use it.

Old Jul 24th 2002, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

andyjbilton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Where abouts on the I134 do we write in the child support amount? Under income?

Thank you
Andy
Old Jul 24th 2002, 7:20 pm
Mrtravel

Just adding statement is not enough evidence. Ideally you should attach a copy of the
court documents showing it. I would also recommend getting bank or other records
indicating you actually got the money, if you can do it.

JustAGuy wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for your reply Ptarmigan,
    >
    > did you just add the child support money to the sponsors income without further
    > explanation, or did you attach a paper to the affidavit stating the annual income
    > PLUS the child support money.
    >
    > The proof would be the divorce decree which states the amount of child support to
    > be paid.
    >
    > Any ideas about life insurance? Anybody?
    >
    > THanks,
    >
    > JAG
    >
    > --

Old Jul 24th 2002, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks alot Mrtravel,

guess we'll use the cash value of the life insurance and count it as 1/5 toward the annual income.

JAG

Originally posted by Mrtravel@Sbcglo
Child support, yes.. Life Insurance.. Need more info.

You couldn't use one time life insurance proceeds and count them as annual income.
You could use the proceeds at 1/5 for income, the same as other assets. If the policy
has cash value, then you could also use it at 1/5 of the value toward the annual
income. If it is a policy that only has value if you die, then you wouldn't be able
to use it.