British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help - How to get ink out of leather?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-how-get-ink-out-leather-762092/)

bromleygirl Jun 18th 2012 2:46 pm

Help - How to get ink out of leather??

Cream leather Coach handbag + black biro ink = :ohmy:

I've already googled and ended up trying nail varnish remover which lightened the ink but actually spread it as well! I've ust returned from the dry cleaners who advised they would have to send it away and as I've used the nail polish remover on a couple of small spots those have probably set.

Does anyone have any experience of removing ink from leather? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I'm now desperate!. :)

Bluegrass Lass Jun 18th 2012 2:51 pm

Re: Help - How to get ink out of leather??

I was going to suggest the dry cleaner before I actually read the full situation. The local Coach store suggested that to me for a couple of spots I have on one of my bags. Have you tried some mild soap + water? Or leather cleaner? I've seen that in a few places. Depending on what the cleaners will charge, it might be worth going ahead and giving them a shot at trying to get it out.

Are we talking large splotches of ink or random drops?

ChocolateBabz Jun 18th 2012 3:11 pm

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser - it cleans my white leather car seats beautifully - it's worth a try.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 18th 2012 5:09 pm

My SIL got marker pen off her cream leather couch using hairspray. I didn't believe her and she showed me. She sprayed the mark and waited like 10 seconds and wiped it with a cloth. Amazing.

penguinbar Jun 18th 2012 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10125827)
My SIL got marker pen off her cream leather couch using hairspray. I didn't believe her and she showed me. She sprayed the mark and waited like 10 seconds and wiped it with a cloth. Amazing.

I second that! Hairspray is great for removing ink.

Oregon4now Jun 18th 2012 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 10125602)

I've already googled and ended up trying nail varnish remover which lightened the ink but actually spread it as well! I've ust returned from the dry cleaners who advised they would have to send it away and as I've used the nail polish remover on a couple of small spots those have probably set.

Does anyone have any experience of removing ink from leather? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I'm now desperate!. :)

Rubbing alcohol is the method my wife swears by.

bromleygirl Jun 19th 2012 12:27 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10125641)
Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser - it cleans my white leather car seats beautifully - it's worth a try.

Can I get it in Walmart or do you need to special order it?

bromleygirl Jun 19th 2012 12:28 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar (Post 10125937)

I tried Hairspray but wiped it off quickly as I've read that along with rubbing alcohol it can be quite abrasive on leather. I'll give the Hairspray a go now!

Bob Jun 19th 2012 12:39 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar (Post 10125937)

The irony is that cheap hair spray makes a great fixer if you're a skint student and need to fix pencil/charcoal/pastel drawings and don't want to buy proper artists fixer to stop the stuff from smudging :D

Bob Jun 19th 2012 12:40 am

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 10126420)

It's in the kitchen supply, you can get it at any grocery store, Target, Hannafords, etc, it'll be with the regular sponges and washing up liquid.

The cheap own brand stuff works just as well, and very handy for most stains while you're at it.

Dorothy Jun 19th 2012 12:51 am

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 10126420)

Looks like this
http://www.rebeccagoings.com/images/magiceraser.jpg
and you get it in the cleaning aisle at the grocery store.

bromleygirl Jun 19th 2012 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10126451)
Looks like this
http://www.rebeccagoings.com/images/magiceraser.jpg
and you get it in the cleaning aisle at the grocery store.

Hairspray didn't work so am now off to get the rubbing alcohol and the magic eraser!

Dorothy Jun 19th 2012 2:12 am

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 10126501)
Hairspray didn't work so am now off to get the rubbing alcohol and the magic eraser!

Just use the magic eraser with no alcohol.

bromleygirl Jun 19th 2012 2:34 am

Oh no I wish I had read your post - I've just used the rubbing alcohol and literally a speck just exploded and spread 20 times the size of what it was. Will the magic eraser take resolve what I have done??

I'm at the point of giving up and getting the spots painted cream to cover up the ink

FlirtyKnickers Jun 19th 2012 2:40 am

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 10125602)

Try baby wipes if you have any handy, they used to work a treat on my cream leather sofa.