Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help - How to get ink out of leather??

Help - How to get ink out of leather??

Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:13 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - How to get ink out of leather??

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Looks like this
http://www.rebeccagoings.com/images/magiceraser.jpg
and you get it in the cleaning aisle at the grocery store.
I love them for cleaning grout!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Do you think if I use the magic eraser it will remove the ink that I have already spread with the nail varnish remover and rubbing alcohol?? I know leather is porous so I'm worried that the ink is now set into the leather...any thoughts?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Oh no I wish I had read your post - I've just used the rubbing alcohol and literally a speck just exploded and spread 20 times the size of what it was. Will the magic eraser take resolve what I have done??

I'm at the point of giving up and getting the spots painted cream to cover up the ink
Didn't you read the instructions on the magic eraser? You don't use anything with it, just a dab of water.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Do you think if I use the magic eraser it will remove the ink that I have already spread with the nail varnish remover and rubbing alcohol?? I know leather is porous so I'm worried that the ink is now set into the leather...any thoughts?
Use the Magic Eraser, the way you're meant to.

If that doesn't work, get a professional to give it a shot, because it'll probably be knackered if you spread it any further, with any more chemicals...
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Didn't you read the instructions on the magic eraser? You don't use anything with it, just a dab of water.
I thought I'd try the alcohol first - I'm going back in the morning for the magic eraser
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I love them for cleaning grout!
Yeah but I wouldn't use it on leather.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 19th 2012 at 12:48 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:45 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes!

Stop. Clearly the things you're trying have only made it worse.

Don't use the magic eraser. Amazingly, it's not actually magic, and won't work AT ALL for your bag. It's a very mild abrasive, so it'll just be like sanding down the leather a bit. Most likely it will spread the ink further AND permanently change the texture of the leather.

Here are some ideas:

Whatever you decided, I suggest you stop applying random solvents suggested by well meaning people on the internet. The solvents have already spread the ink AND will have permanently changed the color or the underlying leather (it's dyed too, and that dye will have been altered and affected by the solvents much like the ink has).
        Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:55 pm
        Bob
        BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dbj1000
        Here are some ideas:
              It's only a coach hand bag, it'll be cheaper just to buy a replacement, at this point and ebay the knackered one.
              Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:02 pm
              SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
              It's only a coach hand bag, it'll be cheaper just to buy a replacement, at this point and ebay the knackered one.
              Some are getting on for 4 figures.
              Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:03 pm
              BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbj1000
              Yikes!

Stop. Clearly the things you're trying have only made it worse.

Don't use the magic eraser. Amazingly, it's not actually magic, and won't work AT ALL for your bag. It's a very mild abrasive, so it'll just be like sanding down the leather a bit. Most likely it will spread the ink further AND permanently change the texture of the leather.

Here are some ideas:

Whatever you decided, I suggest you stop applying random solvents suggested by well meaning people on the internet. The solvents have already spread the ink AND will have permanently changed the color or the underlying leather (it's dyed too, and that dye will have been altered and affected by the solvents much like the ink has).
                    Thank you - both the nail varnish remover and the rubbing alcohol spread the ink - even though it appears lighter now the spots are more obvious.
                    My local dry cleaner said he would need to send it away and cost $30 to try. I'll contact Coach itself (had called the outlet and they had no clue what to do), I'll call around other dry cleaners and see if I can find a leather restorer.
                    Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:12 pm
                    Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags...&tier=2&LOC=CC
                    Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:45 pm
                    Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the dye used, you may not be able to use their leather cleaner (go figure). The care instructions that came with mine specifically said not to use cleaner on it, but mine is a raspberry color.
                    Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:55 pm
                    Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

A whole thread on a minor handbag issue...funny... any other woman worth her salt would just gone out and splurged on another totally uncecessary and over priced handbag by now. Good excuse to buy one, as if you need one...!

Good luck getting it cleaned/picking out your new one..
                    Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:29 pm
                    Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The trick is going to be finding enough ink to stain the rest of the bag to match.
                    Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:41 am
                    BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SDDep
                    A whole thread on a minor handbag issue...funny... any other woman worth her salt would just gone out and splurged on another totally uncecessary and over priced handbag by now. Good excuse to buy one, as if you need one...!

Good luck getting it cleaned/picking out your new one..
                    I'd hate to be married to you! If you think my request for help with ideas to remove the ink is trivial then don't read the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.