Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help - How to get ink out of leather??

Help - How to get ink out of leather??

Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Help - How to get ink out of leather??

Cream leather Coach handbag + black biro ink =

I've already googled and ended up trying nail varnish remover which lightened the ink but actually spread it as well! I've ust returned from the dry cleaners who advised they would have to send it away and as I've used the nail polish remover on a couple of small spots those have probably set.

Does anyone have any experience of removing ink from leather? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I'm now desperate!.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - How to get ink out of leather??

I was going to suggest the dry cleaner before I actually read the full situation. The local Coach store suggested that to me for a couple of spots I have on one of my bags. Have you tried some mild soap + water? Or leather cleaner? I've seen that in a few places. Depending on what the cleaners will charge, it might be worth going ahead and giving them a shot at trying to get it out.

Are we talking large splotches of ink or random drops?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:11 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser - it cleans my white leather car seats beautifully - it's worth a try.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My SIL got marker pen off her cream leather couch using hairspray. I didn't believe her and she showed me. She sprayed the mark and waited like 10 seconds and wiped it with a cloth. Amazing.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:24 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
My SIL got marker pen off her cream leather couch using hairspray. I didn't believe her and she showed me. She sprayed the mark and waited like 10 seconds and wiped it with a cloth. Amazing.
I second that! Hairspray is great for removing ink.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl

I've already googled and ended up trying nail varnish remover which lightened the ink but actually spread it as well! I've ust returned from the dry cleaners who advised they would have to send it away and as I've used the nail polish remover on a couple of small spots those have probably set.

Does anyone have any experience of removing ink from leather? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I'm now desperate!.
Rubbing alcohol is the method my wife swears by.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser - it cleans my white leather car seats beautifully - it's worth a try.
Can I get it in Walmart or do you need to special order it?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I tried Hairspray but wiped it off quickly as I've read that along with rubbing alcohol it can be quite abrasive on leather. I'll give the Hairspray a go now!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
The irony is that cheap hair spray makes a great fixer if you're a skint student and need to fix pencil/charcoal/pastel drawings and don't want to buy proper artists fixer to stop the stuff from smudging
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the kitchen supply, you can get it at any grocery store, Target, Hannafords, etc, it'll be with the regular sponges and washing up liquid.

The cheap own brand stuff works just as well, and very handy for most stains while you're at it.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like this

and you get it in the cleaning aisle at the grocery store.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Looks like this
http://www.rebeccagoings.com/images/magiceraser.jpg
and you get it in the cleaning aisle at the grocery store.
Hairspray didn't work so am now off to get the rubbing alcohol and the magic eraser!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hairspray didn't work so am now off to get the rubbing alcohol and the magic eraser!
Just use the magic eraser with no alcohol.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh no I wish I had read your post - I've just used the rubbing alcohol and literally a speck just exploded and spread 20 times the size of what it was. Will the magic eraser take resolve what I have done??

I'm at the point of giving up and getting the spots painted cream to cover up the ink
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:40 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Try baby wipes if you have any handy, they used to work a treat on my cream leather sofa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.