British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help - how does my wife get a drivers license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-how-does-my-wife-get-drivers-license-674138/)

washsaint Jun 26th 2010 6:03 pm

Help - how does my wife get a drivers license

I am on an L1a, have a mortgage (with my wife on the title) in Virginia and my wife and kids are on an L1, not for work visa.

No problem obtaining my drivers license (I have an I797 as well as visa) but I was told by the DMV that my wife would not be able to take the test as she does not have 2 valid forms of ID. She has the visa (valid for 3 years) but no I797.

The lady told me they would have to send a request to Richmond, VA to get approval for her to take the test (even though she is a valid resident).

Has anyone got any good advice how I can ensure the wife is able to quickly take the drivers test?

Thanks in advance!

fatbrit Jun 26th 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Help - how does my wife get a drivers license

Originally Posted by washsaint (Post 8659145)
I am on an L1a, have a mortgage (with my wife on the title) in Virginia and my wife and kids are on an L1, not for work visa.

No problem obtaining my drivers license (I have an I797 as well as visa) but I was told by the DMV that my wife would not be able to take the test as she does not have 2 valid forms of ID. She has the visa (valid for 3 years) but no I797.

The lady told me they would have to send a request to Richmond, VA to get approval for her to take the test (even though she is a valid resident).

Has anyone got any good advice how I can ensure the wife is able to quickly take the drivers test?

Thanks in advance!

Your wife is presumably on an L2.

Has she got her social security card, yet? That might help.

Btw, your wife can work on application for an EAD.

ian-mstm Jun 26th 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by washsaint (Post 8659145)
... my wife and kids are on an L1, not for work visa.

If you have an L-1 visa, your wife and children likely have L-2 visas. Your wife is eligible to work if she applies for an EAD (form I-765). This has the added benefit of providing another form of government issued ID. Regardless, she is eligible for a SSN even without an EAD.

I was told by the DMV that my wife would not be able to take the test as she does not have 2 valid forms of ID.
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/applying.asp.

Ian

taffie77 Jun 27th 2010 12:54 am

I'm on an L2, and they just took my passport/visa and my UK licence. I already had my Social Security number when I took my test though.
My husband did his before our SS numbers came through, and used his passport/visa and birth certificate.

Bob Jun 28th 2010 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by taffie77 (Post 8659592)
I'm on an L2, and they just took my passport/visa and my UK licence. I already had my Social Security number when I took my test though.
My husband did his before our SS numbers came through, and used his passport/visa and birth certificate.

Different state, different rules.

Get EAD usually sorts the problem out.

washsaint Jun 29th 2010 12:31 am

Thanks for all the replies - DMV has told me (my wife) to provide docs she has and these will be sent to Richmond to ask for a waiver. At the same time we are applying for an EAD.

Geico have told me that although they would like people to get a VA drivers license within 30 days they will accept any time in the policy duration (i.e. 6 months) so hopefully not as painful as I first thought.

taffie77 Jun 29th 2010 12:44 am

6 months is pretty good. It's 60 days in Minnesota, and I took my test on day 60 :rofl: