Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help!How to do these with my UK banks in US

Help!How to do these with my UK banks in US

Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:24 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all
Default Re: Help!How to do these with my UK banks in US

I have a UK account and can pretty much do everything i need to do online concerning payments, transfers, direct debits, etc within the UK.

For foreign transfers you will need the iban or swift number of the bank you are transfering to/from and account numbers. I do this with my bank over the telephone and have never had any problems. Depending on where you are there will be restrictions on the amount of money you can transfer in one lump sum.

I would suggest you go to your branch and discuss what you need to do, they should be able to give you all the info and contact numbers.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:25 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by punktux
Hi all

I am moving to LA within 2 months and prob. can't come back UK for half a year due to personal reason

I was wondering, if I am not physically possible to be in a bank branch in UK(I am with HSBC and RBS), how do I settle my UK bank affairs over there in LA???

things i'd do including paying money to my friends in UK, setting up or cancelling direct debit, transferring money to UK bank accounts or US bank accounts....

Can all these be done with telephone banking or internet banking??

I was told the only thing I can do once I am aboard is to hand write a letter with details on what I want to do and send the letter by post to my branch in UK. Obviously it'd take long time. So, I am thinking to leave HSBC a written consent saying I authorise myself to handle anything on telephone....do you guyz think it's possible????

pls helppp... thanks
I do all my stuff over the internet, or if I'm really pushed, with a phonecall. You will have no problems apart from the long turnaround time for letters if you ever have to send any. I email mine to my brother who prints them off and sends them from the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

punktux is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fitz750
I have a UK account and can pretty much do everything i need to do online concerning payments, transfers, direct debits, etc within the UK.

For foreign transfers you will need the iban or swift number of the bank you are transfering to/from and account numbers. I do this with my bank over the telephone and have never had any problems. Depending on where you are there will be restrictions on the amount of money you can transfer in one lump sum.

I would suggest you go to your branch and discuss what you need to do, they should be able to give you all the info and contact numbers.
it's really strange different banks (HSBC and RBS) or even same bank but different staff told me different story abt foreign transfer...hmm, not sure which one i should listen to.

doesnt foreign transfer by telephone bankinbg require tighter security?

to all:
thank you guyz very much! it's really helpful and nice of you'all
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by punktux
Hi all

I am moving to LA within 2 months and prob. can't come back UK for half a year due to personal reason

I was wondering, if I am not physically possible to be in a bank branch in UK(I am with HSBC and RBS), how do I settle my UK bank affairs over there in LA???

things i'd do including paying money to my friends in UK, setting up or cancelling direct debit, transferring money to UK bank accounts or US bank accounts....

Can all these be done with telephone banking or internet banking??

I was told the only thing I can do once I am aboard is to hand write a letter with details on what I want to do and send the letter by post to my branch in UK. Obviously it'd take long time. So, I am thinking to leave HSBC a written consent saying I authorise myself to handle anything on telephone....do you guyz think it's possible????

pls helppp... thanks
Hi I am with HSBC and BOF halifax bank and have lived in the US for over 2 years. I had no bank accounts in the US for a while when I first arrived and did all my banking with my UK bank with no problems. You do not need to be there to use your bank. I use the internet banking to transfer money from one account to the other and direct debits I was locked out of my internet banking and got put through one of they operators in India and then Malaysia but that is another story. I ended up having to ring my bank direct and they fixed it all for me there and then. as I use the telephone banking. They ask a lot of security questions when you ring even what was your last withdrawal to make sure it is you. They have known about me being in the US and I have rang them to changed my address to my US one to send me mail and was told to do it on line they seamed fine with the fact that I was out of the UK. They did ask how long I would be away and I said I was not sure and they advised me to open an offshore account as it would be better but the funds you need to keep it open are rather high to be sitting around. I have also sent them requests by mail and sometimes they will send me a form to fill out if it is needed. To transfer money from here into my account in the UK I do it from my bank here in the US. Set up the telephone banking before you leave change your address with the bank when you get here and ask if they can hold any statments that you would normally get or reduce the amount of times they send them you can even request to print your own online if you need them. make sure you have a credit card before you come and bring your cheque books for sending money to friends and family. Open a bank acount as soon as you get here wahsington mutual is a good bank. I hope this will help you out
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shish kebab
Hi I am with HSBC and BOF halifax bank and have lived in the US for over 2 years. I had no bank accounts in the US for a while when I first arrived and did all my banking with my UK bank with no problems. You do not need to be there to use your bank. I use the internet banking to transfer money from one account to the other and direct debits I was locked out of my internet banking and got put through one of they operators in India and then Malaysia but that is another story. I ended up having to ring my bank direct and they fixed it all for me there and then. as I use the telephone banking. They ask a lot of security questions when you ring even what was your last withdrawal to make sure it is you. They have known about me being in the US and I have rang them to changed my address to my US one to send me mail and was told to do it on line they seamed fine with the fact that I was out of the UK. They did ask how long I would be away and I said I was not sure and they advised me to open an offshore account as it would be better but the funds you need to keep it open are rather high to be sitting around. I have also sent them requests by mail and sometimes they will send me a form to fill out if it is needed. To transfer money from here into my account in the UK I do it from my bank here in the US. Set up the telephone banking before you leave change your address with the bank when you get here and ask if they can hold any statments that you would normally get or reduce the amount of times they send them you can even request to print your own online if you need them. make sure you have a credit card before you come and bring your cheque books for sending money to friends and family. Open a bank acount as soon as you get here wahsington mutual is a good bank. I hope this will help you out

There is a lot of useful information in your post, but the fact that you don't break it up into paragraphs makes it very difficult to read!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 2:38 am
Just Joined

SunnyDave is on a distinguished road

As mentioned earlier, go to your HSBC branch & ask to sign a 'Fax Indemnity'. This will allow you to fax a request to do any instruction (within reason) including cancelling Direct Debits and to send Wire transfers to the US. The Indemnity basically states that as long as the Bank uses reasonable care then they are not liable should the fax turn out to be a fraudulent instruction.

Sounds scarey but if you're needing them to do something without being there, they are going to make sure that they are covered, especially as it's easy to photocopy someones genuine signature onto a fraudulent payment letter & fax it !!

Dave