Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help Guys - Renting with a dog!!!

Help Guys - Renting with a dog!!!

Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Guys - Renting with a dog!!!

Guys

Need some of your expert advice.

Are moving over to Connecticut (OH has a job in White Plains New York), but are finding it increasingly difficult to obtain a rental because we have dogs. We have made the heartbreaking decision (as if I'm not emotionally unstable enough!!!!!) to re-home our older dog as he has health problems and the vet said it would be better for him to stay here. He is hopefully going to his new home tomorrow. We really don't want to rehome our other boy, as he's only 4 and we've had him since he was a pup.

So problem one is we have a dog and need a rental home. Problem 2 seems to be as soon as you mention ROTTWEILER it is a no go. He is not a devil dog, unruly or distructive and is always on a lead. Has anyone else came across this problem in the past and if so, how did you get round it.

I know you'll be honest and tell me how it is so I'm ready to decide on the best way forward.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Guys - Renting with a dog!!!

we rented a couple of years ago with our dog. Had to pay an extra $500 deposit. Told the landlord he could come over anytime to check that the dog was behaving etc. and that the dog stayed in his crate when we went out.
We also had to leave our aging dog behind when we first moved over here so I know how upset you must be.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lisa

Can't believe it's this hard. We have offered to pay extra, house him in the attached garage (obviously make sure it was heated etc), but still the replies keep coming back that no can do. We are running out of time and he's too good a dog to just give away to anyone.

We're waiting on the realtor getting back to us about another couple of houses, but it seems to take ages to get a reply. Will keep you posted - and yes, we're all upset at leaving Paddy. But that's one of the sacrifices I suppose
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:38 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Try Craiglist there are a lot of private rentals on there and at least you can speak with the landord face to face, I used to have 2 labs here and when I was married and looking to rent for a while we had the same hurdle.

Place your own wnated to rent ad on CL as well
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Guys

Need some of your expert advice.

Are moving over to Connecticut (OH has a job in White Plains New York), but are finding it increasingly difficult to obtain a rental because we have dogs. We have made the heartbreaking decision (as if I'm not emotionally unstable enough!!!!!) to re-home our older dog as he has health problems and the vet said it would be better for him to stay here. He is hopefully going to his new home tomorrow. We really don't want to rehome our other boy, as he's only 4 and we've had him since he was a pup.

So problem one is we have a dog and need a rental home. Problem 2 seems to be as soon as you mention ROTTWEILER it is a no go. He is not a devil dog, unruly or distructive and is always on a lead. Has anyone else came across this problem in the past and if so, how did you get round it.

I know you'll be honest and tell me how it is so I'm ready to decide on the best way forward.

Thanks
When we moved to NJ 13 years ago we couldn't find any rentals that would take 2 dobermans. This was mainly because of the breed. Some will accept one dog...preferably a small one but mostly in this area pets were not accepted in rentals.

In the end we left them with the breeder...we thought we would be back within 1/2 years. It broke my heart to leave them...it is something I have always regretted and if I had to do it again I wouldn't have left them.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 15th 2010 at 1:19 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we moved to NJ 13 years ago we couldn't find any rentals that would take 2 dobermans. This was mainly because of the breed. Some will accept one dog...preferably a small one but mostly in this area pets were not accepted in rentals.

In the end we left them with the breeder...we thought we would be back within 1/2 years. It broke my heart to leave them...it is something I have always regretted and if I had to do it again I wouldn't have left them.
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm trying to remain calm at the minute, but one more hurdle just might push me over the edge!! Leaving Buster here is going to be a last resort, but if we can't get accommodation with him, then it looks like I'm not going to have much choice. Then I've the problem of where to re-home him, because they are such powerful and dominant dogs you need to know what you're doing.

I'm running out of time, so all your replies are very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're very right. It is almost impossible to rent an apartment or probably even a house with a dog. And a rottweiler? No way. They and the pit bull are two dogs that were almost banned from private ownership in recent years.

Even if you were to buy a condo or a co-op, you will find the same problem. It is not the mess of the animal if the owners are not responsible, but the fear factor as many of these dogs in recent times have mauled children.

Good luck.

BTW Westchester County (where White Plains is) isn't any easier.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

The craigslist idea is a good one, that is what I am doing to find hubby a short term lease in Sc until we can join him in June.

The pets thing is always an issue with rentals, our dog is medium sized and we have still had issues in the past. We have a cat too and find that it's even harder with them. I think with dogs it comes down to size mostly, so for you with a rottie, it will be harder.

Are you going to be near any military bases? if so, PM me and I can send you a link for rentals thru' military owners, they are usually more acceptable of animals in their homes for some reason
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm trying to remain calm at the minute, but one more hurdle just might push me over the edge!! Leaving Buster here is going to be a last resort, but if we can't get accommodation with him, then it looks like I'm not going to have much choice. Then I've the problem of where to re-home him, because they are such powerful and dominant dogs you need to know what you're doing.

I'm running out of time, so all your replies are very much appreciated.

Thank you.
May I suggest you contact the breeder you bought the dog from. A good breeder will always take their dog back and make sure it goes to a good home...rather than it go to someone who can't handle the breed or may mistreat it. My dog's breeder kept my dogs in the house as pets...she did not rehome them.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

OP...are you coming over here to eventually buy a house? If so, you might be able to find someone over here who will foster your dog (our local dog rescue fosters out dogs) until you buy a home.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You're very right. It is almost impossible to rent an apartment or probably even a house with a dog. And a rottweiler? No way. They and the pit bull are two dogs that were almost banned from private ownership in recent years.
Yeh, this is essentially a liability issue for a landlord. And in a litigious society, few are willing to take the risk. But with so much rental property out there right now, it might be possible to find a landlord desperate enough to rent in these circumstances.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lisa67
OP...are you coming over here to eventually buy a house? If so, you might be able to find someone over here who will foster your dog (our local dog rescue fosters out dogs) until you buy a home.
Thanks Lisa

That could be an option. We may have found a rental where the landlord is willing for us to take out an rental insurance policy with a specific clause for dogs so that could also be an option. I''m going to look into that tonight because we are going to have to make a decision by the start of next week.

Thank you.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yeh, this is essentially a liability issue for a landlord. And in a litigious society, few are willing to take the risk. But with so much rental property out there right now, it might be possible to find a landlord desperate enough to rent in these circumstances.
Would the landlord be liable if the dog did do something untoward. Would the responsibility not lie with the owner. This is where I'm getting confused. Would he be liable because he would have agreed to house the dog in his property. Is that the issue? Thank you for your knowledge. All these comments are helping with this.

Cheers
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Before you even go as far as finding a place that will accept dogs have you checked with the cities you are looking in to see their policy on dogs. It's possible that your breed of dog is on the prohibited list so you wouldn't be able to live in the city with it even if the rental property allowed it or you may have to jump though hoops to get it registered and tested to make sure it's not a danger. Some cities have very, very strict policies, some have more lenient ones and some have none.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Would the landlord be liable if the dog did do something untoward. Would the responsibility not lie with the owner. This is where I'm getting confused. Would he be liable because he would have agreed to house the dog in his property. Is that the issue? Thank you for your knowledge. All these comments are helping with this.
The problem is that this is a very litigious society and people have a habit of suing anybody they perceive as having deep pockets. Let's say your dog attacked a child. That could well end up with someone suing both you (on the basis you are the dog's owner) and the landlord (on the basis they allowed a dangerous dog to live on their property). I have no idea how a court would end up ruling, but really it's kind of moot: by virtue of being sued, the landlord has to spend $$$ and time defending themselves regardless of whether they end up paying damages. Why take that kind of risk if you can rent to a tenant who doesn't come with that kind of "baggage"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.