Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowance?

Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowance?

Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowanc

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
... complementary booze.. United charge a premium for alch now - credit card only.
As do American airlines.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

onthepunt will become famous soon enoughonthepunt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowanc

Im not flying with United but Iceland Air.. finding it hard to comprehend fitting my entire life in two 50lb suitcases.. the cases I've got are 12lbs when empty!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onthepunt
Im not flying with United but Iceland Air.. finding it hard to comprehend fitting my entire life in two 50lb suitcases.. the cases I've got are 12lbs when empty!
You'll have to let us know how that goes, I mean the flight with Iceland Air. I'm considering them for when we fly back to the UK, next summer. We've not flown with them before, but they sure ring in cheaper then the rest.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Myself and my 2 children are flying LHR to SFO Wednesday morning with United Airlines. We each will have 2 checked bags which I've been told should weigh no more than 50lbs each but do they mind if you go a few pounds over?

On their website it says you can check bags up to 100lbs but they are subject to excess charges but I can't seem to find anywhere that states how much these are..has anyone had any experience of dealign with United Airlines and paying excess baggage charges??

We each will have our carry on's and a personal item each - we are also planning to wear as many clothes as possible to lighten the load that we are checking in Any advice would be really appreciated
Can't vouch for this -- but I've heard of people sending some of their stuff via air freight inasmuch as it is cheaper. It should be limited to stuff you don't need immediately.

[One daughter had spent nine months in school in Europe. She actually MAILED her winter clothes -- it got there in three weeks.]
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Can't vouch for this -- but I've heard of people sending some of their stuff via air freight inasmuch as it is cheaper. It should be limited to stuff you don't need immediately.

[One daughter had spent nine months in school in Europe. She actually MAILED her winter clothes -- it got there in three weeks.]
My daughter looked into this, she's leaving tomorrow to go back to the UK. Shipping back to the UK was going to cost a lot more than paying $50 for an extra bag. Don't know what the shipping costs are for going UK to US.