Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowance?

Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowance?

Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowance?

Myself and my 2 children are flying LHR to SFO Wednesday morning with United Airlines. We each will have 2 checked bags which I've been told should weigh no more than 50lbs each but do they mind if you go a few pounds over?

On their website it says you can check bags up to 100lbs but they are subject to excess charges but I can't seem to find anywhere that states how much these are..has anyone had any experience of dealign with United Airlines and paying excess baggage charges??

We each will have our carry on's and a personal item each - we are also planning to wear as many clothes as possible to lighten the load that we are checking in Any advice would be really appreciated
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowanc

I have only experienced United on internal US flights - and they are very particular on luggage allowance - try and pack as much in your hand baggage as possible
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:15 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help: Flying with United Airlines - how picky are they about the baggage allowanc

I had family travelling from Seattle to SFO and then from SFO onto Australia with United, they were really really strict about the weight. Yhey had to unpack one bag and repack into others etc... in the middle of the check-in area, there was no leeway!!

That said I guess it depends who is checking you in on the day!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

They are strict about the weight limits. Try packing your suitcases and standing on the scale with them and without them to see how you're doing before you head to the airport.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:42 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Myself and my 2 children are flying LHR to SFO Wednesday morning with United Airlines. We each will have 2 checked bags which I've been told should weigh no more than 50lbs each but do they mind if you go a few pounds over?

On their website it says you can check bags up to 100lbs but they are subject to excess charges but I can't seem to find anywhere that states how much these are..has anyone had any experience of dealign with United Airlines and paying excess baggage charges??

We each will have our carry on's and a personal item each - we are also planning to wear as many clothes as possible to lighten the load that we are checking in Any advice would be really appreciated
Would take the advice of weighing yourself & case.

You do not want a case over 50lbs, the fee now is 200 USD, for each bag over, better to have one bag at 65lbs than 5 bags each 3 lbs over as that would cost 1000.

For tickets purchased on or before April 9, 2010, the charge for baggage that weighs 51-70 lbs. (24-32 kg) is 150 USD or an equivalent amount in local currency.

Last edited by fsm; Aug 8th 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fsm
Would take the advice of weighing yourself & case.

You do not want a case over 50lbs, the fee now is 200 USD, for each bag over, better to have one bag at 65lbs than 5 bags each 3 lbs over as that would cost 1000.

For tickets purchased on or before April 9, 2010, the charge for baggage that weighs 51-70 lbs. (24-32 kg) is 150 USD or an equivalent amount in local currency.
Thanks for al lthe replies - am shocked at the charges though for excess. Our tickets were bought after April so we'd be looking at $200/fee per bag over 50lbs

Have a very reliable pair of scales though and am detrermined not to pay any excess if possible. Even if we need to wear 5 layers of clothes and then disrobe once we have boarded!!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I can't seem to find anywhere that states how much these are...
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53403,00.html.

Ian
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:28 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice would be really appreciated
They are pretty strict.
stuff yourself beforehand... like most of the airlines, the food is pretty awful and skimpish.
UA don't carry cash on board nor do they accept cash - so if you want booze, you'll have to use a credit card. No more complimentary alch on trans-atlantic flights.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Could it be a United Code-share flight (I doubt it but one never knows) ?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks - I had thought about buying another bag but when I called United they advised me that a 7th bag would cost 130 pounds but I can see on the link that excess baggage is charged at 130pounds so I'm wondering if I was quoted correctly for the additional bag??
Incidently, we will be paying $45/bag for bags 4,5,and 6.

That;s crap about no alcohol on flights anymore - I was really looking forward to a bottle of wine and relax once on board
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
Could it be a United Code-share flight (I doubt it but one never knows) ?
Very unlikely (unless something has changed very recently) - the OP said that she was flying from LHR to SFO - United has two direct LHR <-> SFO flights per day and both of them are operated by United.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by md95065
Very unlikely (unless something has changed very recently) - the OP said that she was flying from LHR to SFO - United has two direct LHR <-> SFO flights per day and both of them are operated by United.
I booked through Continental but it is defintley operated by United
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

That;s crap about no alcohol on flights anymore - I was really looking forward to a bottle of wine and relax once on board
What was that ? No alcohol served on board ?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:36 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
What was that ? No alcohol served on board ?
... complementary booze.. United charge a premium for alch now - credit card only.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
... complementary booze.. United charge a premium for alch now - credit card only.
Not even with meals ? No wonder it getting Untied

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.