Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help with finding somewhere nice to live in the SF bay area? Please, I'm begging

Help with finding somewhere nice to live in the SF bay area? Please, I'm begging

Old May 29th 2014, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with finding somewhere nice to live in the SF bay area? Please, I'm begging

We live in Los Gatos and our rent has just gone up by $200 a month (to $4100!!!) It's crazy prices for crappy 3 bed houses. The school district is over-rated but the town itself and the downtown is really nice. We'll stay here one more year and then move elsewhere to a better school with potentially more affordable housing. Not sure if that exists though :-) I think more houses tend to be listed once school finishes - think lots of people arrive in June/July and snap up everything and anything so like others have said, pounce on a listing as soon as you see it! Good luck
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with finding somewhere nice to live in the SF bay area? Please, I'm begging

Thought I would update this thread as we found somewhere to live.

We spent all last weekend driving all over the peninsula and the easy bay and couldn't find anything. We would see a house in a nice area with good schools but the house would have something weird going on (door to the garage in a bedroom) or we would find a nice house in a not so good area. Sunday night we were a bit worried that we wouldn't find anything and we would have to extend our temp accommodation.

Anyway while I was in work on Monday my wife called a listing on cl which turned out to be right round the corner from where we are staying in foster city now. Really nice house, really nice looking neighbourhood. I spoke to the realtor and explained our situation. He said it wouldn't be a problem, they just need to confirm my work status (it helps I work for one of the big software companies round here). So next day I sent off my application (half of which I couldn't fill in) along with my employment verification and a copy of our uk credit rating (both excellent). An hour later he mailed to say we can have the place. My work checks out and our uk credit rating is excellent. Got the lease today. Not sure if we have been lucky as I prepped an application pack with references, job offer, mortgage information etc and ended up not needing any of it. Hopefully nothing nefarious is afoot.

It went from being mad stressful to calm ridiculously quickly. Now we just need to furnish the place. My son might even be able to start school on day one.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, FC is great but so over priced nowadays.
Originally Posted by Zez
We're in Foster City and that budget seems about right for a 3 bed. What I will say is that it moves fast.... When we were lookin no one would consider us unless we we're live in ready so it really was pointless looking until about the week before we flew.... Risky and very stressful. We found ours via craigslist.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:47 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funstuie
Thought I would update this thread as we found somewhere to live.

We spent all last weekend driving all over the peninsula and the easy bay and couldn't find anything. We would see a house in a nice area with good schools but the house would have something weird going on (door to the garage in a bedroom) or we would find a nice house in a not so good area. Sunday night we were a bit worried that we wouldn't find anything and we would have to extend our temp accommodation.

Anyway while I was in work on Monday my wife called a listing on cl which turned out to be right round the corner from where we are staying in foster city now. Really nice house, really nice looking neighbourhood. I spoke to the realtor and explained our situation. He said it wouldn't be a problem, they just need to confirm my work status (it helps I work for one of the big software companies round here). So next day I sent off my application (half of which I couldn't fill in) along with my employment verification and a copy of our uk credit rating (both excellent). An hour later he mailed to say we can have the place. My work checks out and our uk credit rating is excellent. Got the lease today. Not sure if we have been lucky as I prepped an application pack with references, job offer, mortgage information etc and ended up not needing any of it. Hopefully nothing nefarious is afoot.

It went from being mad stressful to calm ridiculously quickly. Now we just need to furnish the place. My son might even be able to start school on day one.
Well done

As soon as you have your lease get down to the school district with it and his vaccination record, it'll only take them a day to give you a place, it's great for them to start on the first day.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 1:15 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Yep FC is overpriced, but I reckon so is everywhere else round here!! I for one am v glad you guys have found a place here. It was lovely meeting your family the other day....look forward to meeting you too.

Our rental was easy too, and we've just renewed for another year with no price increase which is unheard of. I reckon we just have a nice landlord who is happy to have a decent family who are taking care of the place.

Hope the school registration goes smoothly too.