British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HELP! EAD Interview sooner than expected (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-ead-interview-sooner-than-expected-110811/)

sly_950 Aug 21st 2002 11:00 pm

HELP! EAD Interview sooner than expected

Hi all,
Here's some stats for the Charlotte Office (NC): i-130, i-765, i-485, i-131 sent on June 30th 2002, Receipt Dated July 16th and EAD interview scheduled on Aug 30th 2002... (Just got the letter). The normal wait for EAD was supposed to be 60 days... This took less than 45.

This is pretty fast right? Sure, but here's my problem. I'm flying to my wife's parents home (and they're not close to Charlotte!) on the 29th for the labor day week end, and her birthday is the day after that... yes the day of the interview.
Does *anybody* have any idea what I could do? (Of course the letter says you can reschedule but that it may take up to 90 days for that!) I already checked on changing flights but if that can be avoided (not cheap to change a week in advance).
Of course there's no number to call to reach the local office....
Should I go before my interview date? Like tomorrow for example?
Or should I go after my interview date, like after labor day?

Any input is greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
Sly.

Rete Aug 21st 2002 11:09 pm

Re: HELP! EAD Interview sooner than expected

Suggestion:

Go in person with the EAD letter and your airline tickets and the same explanation as you gave here and see what happens. If worse comes worse, you can try and reschedule while you are there.

Rete

Originally posted by sly_950:
Hi all,
Here's some stats for the Charlotte Office (NC): i-130, i-765, i-485, i-131 sent on June 30th 2002, Receipt Dated July 16th and EAD interview scheduled on Aug 30th 2002... (Just got the letter). The normal wait for EAD was supposed to be 60 days... This took less than 45.

This is pretty fast right? Sure, but here's my problem. I'm flying to my wife's parents home (and they're not close to Charlotte!) on the 29th for the labor day week end, and her birthday is the day after that... yes the day of the interview.
Does *anybody* have any idea what I could do? (Of course the letter says you can reschedule but that it may take up to 90 days for that!) I already checked on changing flights but if that can be avoided (not cheap to change a week in advance).

Thanks,
Sly.

sly_950 Aug 21st 2002 11:53 pm

Has anybody tried this before? I may do it tomorrow! (it would be a 3:30am wake up and a 3 hour drive). I'm just wondering if the paperwork would be ready...

Originally posted by Rete:
Suggestion:

Go in person with the EAD letter and your airline tickets and the same explanation as you gave here and see what happens. If worse comes worse, you can try and reschedule while you are there.

Rete

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,

Thanks,
Sly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rete Aug 22nd 2002 1:47 am

Sly

There isn't any paperwork to get ready. The EAD is made while you are there. You will place a single digit print on a card, they will take your photograph and tell you to wait and then call your name and hand you the card. It is that simple.

Hey look at it this way: You aren't working, you won't be able to keep the appointment and will have to reschedule anyway, so what do you have to lose by spending your day at the Charlotte INS office rather than at the beach?

Rete

PS Good Luck

sly_950 Aug 22nd 2002 8:48 pm

I want to give an update on this especially for those that go to the Charlotte INS office. On Rete's advice I went this morning to the INS (at 7:00 am) gave my EAD appointment letter (I was one week before schedule) and I got the card!!! (I did wait for 5 hours... I was out by noon). The person had no problem with me being 1 week early and didn't even ask why. But I did have to wait for the people with appointments today to be done before I got processed.
Also, the people that do the EAD cards don't come in until 9-9:30am, so don't bother showing up early (you won't get a number, rather you just give you appointment letter and wait to be called). The optimal time to come is around 8:30-9am before the rush of late comers, so you can get in the building... (it was 90deg in Charlotte today...).

Originally posted by Rete:
Sly

There isn't any paperwork to get ready. The EAD is made while you are there. You will place a single digit print on a card, they will take your photograph and tell you to wait and then call your name and hand you the card. It is that simple.

Hey look at it this way: You aren't working, you won't be able to keep the appointment and will have to reschedule anyway, so what do you have to lose by spending your day at the Charlotte INS office rather than at the beach?

Rete

PS Good Luck

Rete Aug 23rd 2002 12:10 am

Way to go Sly. Now you can go away for the Holiday weekend and enjoy the wife's birthday. Glad that the advice paid off favorably.

Rete

I want to give an update on this especially for those that go to the Charlotte INS office. On Rete's advice I went this morning to the INS (at 7:00 am) gave my EAD appointment letter (I was one week before schedule) and I got the card!!! (I did wait for 5 hours... I was out by noon). The person had no problem with me being 1 week early and didn't even ask why. But I did have to wait for the people with appointments today to be done before I got processed.
Also, the people that do the EAD cards don't come in until 9-9:30am, so don't bother showing up early (you won't get a number, rather you just give you appointment letter and wait to be called). The optimal time to come is around 8:30-9am before the rush of late comers, so you can get in the building... (it was 90deg in Charlotte today...).