Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help buying iPad for Ireland from states?

Help buying iPad for Ireland from states?

Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:37 am
Just Joined

beadrysdale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help buying iPad for Ireland from states?

Hello,
I live in the states but will be going to visit family for Christmas in Ireland. I wanted to buy one family member an iPad for a gift. I tried to order it from the Ireland apple online store (.ie) as I wanted it to come with the proper plug for Ireland,and have it delivered to the address in Ireland. That site will not accept my payment method for some reason. I called Apple here in the states and they told me that site will not accept my payment because I would need a card from an Irish bank for the online Ireland store to accept payment.

What? I buy stuff from amazon.co.uk with my US credit card for UK and Irish delivery all the time!

I don't want to buy it here and take it over with me as then they will always need to use an adapter. Plus, the apple customer service guy here said I cant do that anyway cos of taxes etc.

I can't call the customer service number for the apple Ireland online store as my trackphone cant seem to do it. Will try from a pay phone on Monday, but... any experience with this anyone?

Thanks.
Bea
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:45 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help buying iPad for Ireland from states?

Buy it on Amazon.co.uk. Or buy it in the US, take it over and just buy a UK charger.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:54 am
Just Joined

In both scenarios, would the family member still have access to the 90-day customer support without any complications?
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:57 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Apple customer service is worldwide.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Weeze. I just worry that the number will be international long distance, even if it is a free call I would like it to be an Irish number. I want to make this as easy as possible for this family member. I am going to try this thread in The Lab forum. I didn't see that forum before.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 10:02 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Apple customer service is worldwide.
Correct with one note slightly off topic. iPhones are offered with country-specific warranties so say an Irish iPhone warranty wouldn't be valid in the US. iPads and macs are worldwide however. Can go to any apple store for service.

Not to the OP's question but figured it might be relevant to someone who finds this thread later via google or something.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Turns out I can buy the ipad from teh Irish online store with my usa credit card on my usa itunes account. What happened was, teh bank blocked my card as they thought the attempted purchase was suspicious activity. Once they unblocked it, the purchase went through. The little officious weazel from the apple usa customer service line gave me completely false information.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beadrysdale
The little officious weazel from the apple usa customer service line gave me completely false information.
Sounds like a former USCIS mis-information line worker :-)
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Correct with one note slightly off topic. iPhones are offered with country-specific warranties so say an Irish iPhone warranty wouldn't be valid in the US. iPads and macs are worldwide however. Can go to any apple store for service.

Not to the OP's question but figured it might be relevant to someone who finds this thread later via google or something.
Note also that in the EU the warranties run a little different... IIRC Apple got fined in Italy for selling AppleCare after sales cover for the 2nd & 3rd years of ownership, when by law the standard, free, warranty etc has to be minimum of 2 years...