Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help!!! Bug Question.....

Help!!! Bug Question.....

Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help!!! Bug Question.....

OK this is gross so if you're eating don't read any further!

I am getting flies EVERYWHERE. Last night I was running around with the fly spray and when I lifted up the blinds in the living room, without a word of a lie there must have been about 30 dead ones on the window ledge. I vacumed them all up and sprayed everywhere and when I came home today it was the same again :scared:

The apt people send pest control every 2 weeks so it has been sprayed recently - but someone said to me that those little white wormy things that came up the plughole could have been - ugh - maggots and that they turn into flies. Gross, gross, gross.

I dont know what to do. All I ever do is clean this place, its gleaming LOL. I have looked to see if there is gaps in the windows, doors etc or holes but there is nothing visible. I am wondering if it could be something do do with any of my cats? One of them sits outside on the porch sometimes and she has been very listless for a couple of days and jerking a little, I am taking her to the vet tomorrow. If this keeps up I am going to go and stay at Jen's because its just too disgusting

Anyone any clue what could be causing this or what I can do???
Old Jul 17th 2004, 1:26 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!! Bug Question.....

Originally posted by Lesley1020
OK this is gross so if you're eating don't read any further!

I am getting flies EVERYWHERE. Last night I was running around with the fly spray and when I lifted up the blinds in the living room, without a word of a lie there must have been about 30 dead ones on the window ledge. I vacumed them all up and sprayed everywhere and when I came home today it was the same again :scared:

The apt people send pest control every 2 weeks so it has been sprayed recently - but someone said to me that those little white wormy things that came up the plughole could have been - ugh - maggots and that they turn into flies. Gross, gross, gross.

I dont know what to do. All I ever do is clean this place, its gleaming LOL. I have looked to see if there is gaps in the windows, doors etc or holes but there is nothing visible. I am wondering if it could be something do do with any of my cats? One of them sits outside on the porch sometimes and she has been very listless for a couple of days and jerking a little, I am taking her to the vet tomorrow. If this keeps up I am going to go and stay at Jen's because its just too disgusting

Anyone any clue what could be causing this or what I can do???

I dunno, make a horror flick and make a million?
Old Jul 17th 2004, 6:30 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!! Bug Question.....

Originally posted by Lesley1020
<snip>those little white wormy things that came up the plughole

<snip>Anyone any clue what I can do???
Buy a plug - put plug in plughole
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:55 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure one of the cats didn't bring in something dead like a mouse or a bird. Although you would have smelled it before the flies arrived I would think.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:33 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

You might try putting some clorine bleach in your bathtub (full of water- a couple of cups bleach i.e.) and running it out the drain- maybe even followed up by a cup more when its drained. Let the bleach/water stand in the drain (don't rinse it with clean water when finished). Maybe do this daily for a week, then once a week as maintenance. If you have any maggots in your waste system this should kill them off. The bigger question for your apt. manager should be is HOW flies are entering the system to lay the eggs, and WHAT on earth is down there for them to eat- as they usually congregate and lay eggs in decaying animal flesh. Perhaps there is a blockage downstream that is allowing food waste to accumulate.

That, or...if you finally knocked off the ex-boyfriend and stashed his body in the closet- you ought to get rid of him, he's probably pretty ripe by now.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 2:19 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
these flies may be carpenter ant young. I live in Florida and last year I had a major problem with these ants climbing the house walls and entering at the roof. They then proceeded to infest the walls and ceilings. The flying types were coming out of the light fittings and plugs. It may be that your flies are coming from these places. I had my pest control spray into the ceiling voids and I spent $150 on Ortho carpenter ant killer. You are supposed to dilute this but I put it concentrated around the outside walls and into the ceiling voids. Touch wood we appear to be clear at the moment.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
That, or...if you finally knocked off the ex-boyfriend and stashed his body in the closet- you ought to get rid of him, he's probably pretty ripe by now.
Yeap that could be the problem

Leslie are the flies blow flies (blue bottles)? they sometimes make a buzzing noise when they fly... those are the flies that form from maggots. If you have maggots they are feeding on something rotten (usually meat/flesh) and you need to have your land lord deal with it.

Ash
Old Jul 17th 2004, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

[i]That, or...if you finally knocked off the ex-boyfriend and stashed his body in the closet- you ought to get rid of him, he's probably pretty ripe by now.
Damn, someone figured it out

Well so far today it hasn't been as bad, and no they're not like blue bottles I have only heard them making noises when I spray them and they're dying LOL. They do have big brown eyes tho

Today there has only been a few and they seem to be at the window all the times so I'm wondering if they are getting in there somewhere. Those disgusting little white things I haven't seen for over 10 days and I've put bleach down there now too (without removing the plug this time LOL). The apt people are coming out on Monday and pest control on Tuesday but if it doesnt get sorted after that I'm going to ask them if I can move.

Ah the joys Well off to the vet with one of my kitties, poor little thing.

Have a good weekend all!