Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help - British Postdoc J1

Help - British Postdoc J1

Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:52 am
Just Joined

benny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - British Postdoc J1

I need some help here regarding the J1 visa, especially from British citizens who are currently doing a postdoctoral fellowship in an American University. Could you tell me if it's likely that British postdocs will get a J1 WITH the 2 year foreign residency requirement? Did you get that in your case? Is the type you get known when the institute send you the IAP form, or is it not known until you go to the embassy in London to get your visa stamp? I would like to hear from as many of you as possible. Many thanks.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:53 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help - British Postdoc J1

Originally posted by benny
I need some help here regarding the J1 visa, especially from British citizens who are currently doing a postdoctoral fellowship in an American University. Could you tell me if it's likely that British postdocs will get a J1 WITH the 2 year foreign residency requirement? Did you get that in your case? Is the type you get known when the institute send you the IAP form, or is it not known until you go to the embassy in London to get your visa stamp? I would like to hear from as many of you as possible. Many thanks.
I believe that whether or not you are subject to the 2 year HRR is dependent on whether or not US Govt. funds (possibly Federal only, I am hazy on this) are involved in your placement.

Try posting your question on the alt.visa.us forum (US Visas) for Sylvia Otttemoeller. She works for a college as an student advisor on immigration matters and should be able to give you a more comprehensive answer.

Good luck!