Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help! best places to live in New York?

Help! best places to live in New York?

Old Oct 31st 2002, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

LondontoNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help! best places to live in New York?

Hi

I'm relocating from London to New York and would like to know the best places to live. Preferably, close to other brits I'll be working in mid-town Manhattan and the places I'm considering are Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn - unfortunately I don't know much (anything) about these places. Any advice for a single girl? I'm looking to spend from $1,000 to $1,500 per month for an apartment. I will like to be close to the subway.

Should I be considering other places apart from those listed?

Cheers
Lou
Old Nov 1st 2002, 11:55 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

There are some Brits who live in NYC who post on the similarly-named
http://www.british-expats.com discussion boards. They may be able to help or know about flat-sharing.

Also you might want to consider Hoboken, just across the Hudson River in New Jersey - it's directly opposite Manhatten and is a lively place which attracts young single workers as it is much cheaper than Manhatten. You can take the frequent buses from the Port Authority bus terminal (at 8th & 42nd, one block from Times Square), the PATH trains or the ferries which go to the World Financial Center, Wall Street, Battery park and have a free bus service to go uptown and downtown.

Here's a little bit of info:

http://www.hobokeni.com

http://www.british-expats.com
Old Nov 1st 2002, 10:47 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with englishmum. the other site does have quite a few brits in Manhattan, a few of which are female too.

Hoboken would be a good place too. If you don't fancy going over to NJ, I would stick with Manhattan. Brooklyn would be my next choice. With you being a single female you would have a good time in Manhattan or Hoboken.

Good luck
Old Nov 3rd 2002, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

IanR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoboken is the "in" place to live these days for singles.
It's very close to Manhattan, great views, great restaurants and bars and lotsa singles. And it's well priced.
We married folk live further out in NJ
Old Nov 5th 2002, 1:55 am
Xen
Just Joined

Xen is an unknown quantity at this point

First ask your employer for a pay rise. For an 'ok' place in Manhattan/Brooklyn Heights you're looking at around $2500. I also looked at a semi-ok 1-bed near the PATH in Hoboken 4 years ago for $1700. Now it's probably over $2000.

If you're set on the price range and want to be near a subway, look at Bay ridge, Brooklyn (Express buses are quick), or maybe Williamsberg on the 'L' line, another up and coming neighbourhood.

If you can up your rent to $1700, try looking at East Village, Chelsea, or Murrey Hill. Here you'll find some dark, smallish, overlooked 1-beds floating around. Studio's lower in price.

The best place to look is here:

http://www.villagevoice.com/classifi...ex_search.php3

However watch out for the brokers, they constantly advertise apartments at a lower price just to get you interested. Always say no to a 15% brokers fee, worst you should pay when you push them is 10%.

I've now moved twice in Manhattan in the last four years, although I've looked outside many times, I still haven't taken the plunge and headed for the cheaper rents. I prefer the ultra-modern tower blocks, with great views, built-in air-con, (these summers are hot), and the convenience of an unlimited-ride subway card.

Last edited by Xen; Nov 5th 2002 at 2:00 am.
Old Nov 9th 2002, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

cykit is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you a young, single female? The best place to stay is with me! Actually, I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Astoria. It is in Northwest Queens and is quite affordable compared to Manhattan. You’d probably pay around $1000-$1500 for a much better apartment than you’d get for the same price rage in Manhattan (if that price range even exists there). For about $1500, I think you can get a few 2BR’s as well. Astoria has traditionally been a Greek and Italian neighborhood, but there is an increasing number of Bengalis, Japanese and Koreans moving there. It’s only about 10 minutes away from Midtown Manhattan with the N and W trains.

I lived in Astoria when I first moved to NY, but moved out because I thought the rents were getting too high. I now live in Jackson Heights and LOVE it, but will probably move away because I don’t like my apartment and my landlord is giving me problems. I’ll most likely be looking for a place in Flushing or New Jersey, where I’ll probably be getting a job.

I agree with XEN about brokers. Avoid them! They’re full of shit. The often say they’ve got something (one promised me a 1BR for $600/mo, but I found out he was pulling my leg). But sometimes they truly know the best deals. I only used one for my current apartment because I was desperate to find a place right away.
Old Nov 17th 2002, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

LondontoNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking 'Help! best places to live in New York?'

Hi Englishmum, IanR, Xen and Cykit

Thanks a lot for your advice. I didn't realise I had any replies, for some reason I didn't see the e-mail until today. I will check out the places you suggested Hoboken, Williamsburg, Astoria and Bay Ridge. Manhattan is probably out since $2,500 is too pricey for me and I don't want to spend $1,700 on a dark tiny apartment I live in a large 1.5 bedroom flat in London, it will be too much of a culture shock!

I will also look into sharing an apartment in Manhattan with other single women. Cykit thanks for the offer I'll like to take you up on it but my mum will be too upset