Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help and any advice - for young couple

Help and any advice - for young couple

Old Oct 14th 2010, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Rebrab06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help and any advice - for young couple

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am hoping that I can tap into your knowledge for some help and guidance.

Myself and my fiancé wish to move to USA (pref NYC or San fran), we initially would like to work for 2 or so years in the USA before making our decision completely permanent.

I have been researching as much as I can on the Internet but I now need advice as the information on the Internet isn't specific enough.

We are both 21 and own our house, we wish to move in 2-3 years to USA. I work as a freight fowarder and my fiancé is wedding/event planner. We feel what we do would really fit into the city given the chance. We will have around 5 years experience with our jobs as well.
I understand all the requirements that there are, but if there is something we can begin to do now that could help us make our move happen we would like to know as early as possible.

If people have any ideas, companies we could contact, anything really that could help us it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your responses, thanks for your time!!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 4:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and any advice - for young couple

Originally Posted by Rebrab06
but if there is something we can begin to do now that could help us make our move happen
start PhD's.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Have you read this link? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Doesn't sound as though from what you've said, you'll be very likely to get a visa unfortunately.

How about Canada or Oz instead?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I understand all the requirements that there are, but if there is something we can begin to do now that could help us make our move happen we would like to know as early as possible.
None of what you propose is possible without a visa. Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified. If you can answer "yes" to any of the questions, you might have a chance at a visa. If not, you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
None of what you propose is possible without a visa. Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified. If you can answer "yes" to any of the questions, you might have a chance at a visa. If not, you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor.

Ian
I appriecate what you are saying and the moment I can't answer yes to any of the points, that is why I am asking for help in ways that I can say yes to one of the points. If there are companies my and my fiancé can get in, that offer transfers. Or begin to work on job specific qualifications that could get us a visa.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Have you read this link? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Doesn't sound as though from what you've said, you'll be very likely to get a visa unfortunately.

How about Canada or Oz instead?
Yes I have read that, just wanted to see if people could advise us personally.

Funny you should say about oz, if USA isn't a possiblity then we are going to look into oz or nz
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should say about oz, if USA isn't a possiblity then we are going to look into oz or nz
Oz is certainly a lot easier than the US to get in to. If you do want to go to the US, then your first step needs to be obtaining a degree really.

Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

It;s going to be either company transfer OR a degree + experience to get the employers here interested.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Both of you could each marry a USC.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If there are companies my and my fiancé can get in, that offer transfers.
All right.. I'll bite. If you can get a job in the UK with a company that has a US branch, that's your best bet. Read up on L-1A/B visas. I'll tell you what's likely not going to happen - you're likely not going to get a US company to sponsor you for an H-1B visa without a university degree and years of *superior* experience. Quite simply, there are, literally, thousands of unemployed folks in the US who have superior qualifications to you and don't need sponsoring.

Or begin to work on job specific qualifications that could get us a visa.
With respect, you really don't want to do this. You don't ever want to train for a job that *might* get you a visa. Do what you enjoy... and if you can get a visa out of it, great! If not, you're still enjoying what you do.

Ian
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll tell you what's likely not going to happen - you're likely not going to get a US company to sponsor you for an H-1B visa without a university degree and years of *superior* experience. Quite simply, there are, literally, thousands of unemployed folks in the US who have superior qualifications to you and don't need sponsoring.

Aye, the position would be something that requires a degree, and if you have no uni experience, you'd need 12 years experience.

If you have very niche skills and work for a company with a US presence, then you might have a chance of working your way towards a company transfer, but again, going to need a lot of niche skills and be fairly senior.

Wedding planner just isn't going to happen unless you've done massive events for say royalty, in which case you might have a chance of looking at the O1....but that's going to be a rare chance.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Wedding planner just isn't going to happen unless you've done massive events for say royalty, in which case you might have a chance of looking at the O1....but that's going to be a rare chance.
For all the royal weddings in the US?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Every celebrity wedding in the US is a royal wedding! Just look at Chelsea Clinton's recent get-together!

Ian
Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well they do like to flounce around a lot over here