British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-all-bri%7Ctish-texans-sos-243423/)

LAL Jul 21st 2004 6:49 am

Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 
We are in Texas (houston at the mo) but we'll be travelling around for the next couple of weeks and the baby has drank all her Ribena YIKES!!!:scared: We have tried with just water, but she doesn't drink half quarter what she should ( I could kill my mother for flavouring her water now!!!), we found some Robinsons Apple and Blackcurrant at an outrageous price in Publix supermarket chain in Florida but I cant seem find any in Texas!!! AGGGHHHH!! Any suggestions for replacement drinks or sightings of ribena or robinsons blackcurrant in texan supermarkets would be greatly appreciated to quench the thirst of a soon to be dehydrated 18 month old scumbag!!!At the mo we are trying her with hawaiian punch the kiwi and strawberry flavour she seems to like it but it is very green and I am worried about additives and hyperactivity for an already hyperactive child!!!
Cheers

LAL and Nellie the ribena guzzler XXXX

g1ant Jul 21st 2004 7:02 am

Re: Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 

Originally posted by LAL
I am worried about additives and hyperactivity for an already hyperactive child!!!
Cheers

LAL and Nellie the ribena guzzler XXXX
You should be more worried about what the pruit juices are doing to her teeth.

Take this opportunity to get her on plain water. It will be the best thing in the end.

LAL Jul 21st 2004 7:25 am

Re: Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 

Originally posted by g1ant
You should be more worried about what the pruit juices are doing to her teeth.

Take this opportunity to get her on plain water. It will be the best thing in the end.
Obviously you have been in the USA a long time or have immersed yourself deep in their culture and have taken up one of their favourite obssessions of teeth...

I am not so stupid as to give my child pure ribena, we always use toothkind and just colour the water slightly, she brushes her teeth (well eats the toothpaste - I bet you are gonna criticize about that now) twice a day.

That was the reason I didnt buy ribena in florida the sugar content was too high, but the last thing I want to do in this heat is fight with my 18 month old daughter over drinking water, I mean sure I could probably get her back on water but at what cost??? She is as stubborn as me, and when she says no she means no!!
I don't want 2 days of her refusing water to get her to drink some. After all she could be in hospital by then totally dehydrated....
It may seem like the easy option to you, but for me finding something to colour her water that she will drink, that I can trust is a priority, before forcing her to drink water, we have tried bottled water, but this is the child that says no to her favourite sweets, oh please no lectures she only gets sweets about 3 times a week and a little more on holiday, she is so stubborn it is unbelieveable.

So dont criticize before you know the facts, and dont judge me about the parenting of my child, i would like her to drink more plain water but my mother thought (in her infinitisemal wisdom) that giving my daughter very watered down ribena would boost her vitamin C intake, after she kept getting sick.

If you have nothing but critical comments to make and nothing helpful to say, gan and boil your heed and divint tell ya grannie how suck eggs reet...

Lal

g1ant Jul 21st 2004 8:04 am

Re: Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 

Originally posted by LAL
So dont criticize before you know the facts, and dont judge me about the parenting of my child, i would like her to drink more plain water but my mother thought (in her infinitisemal wisdom) that giving my daughter very watered down ribena would boost her vitamin C intake, after she kept getting sick.

If you have nothing but critical comments to make and nothing helpful to say, gan and boil your heed and divint tell ya grannie how suck eggs reet...

Lal
Wow, who pissed on your parade?????

I gave a simple piece of advice from someone who has seen first hand the damage that Ribena Toothkind can do to children's teeth. I don't see where that amounts to major critisism. It was simple advice. Advice which I still stand by. Water is better for kids than Ribena. No doubt about that.

Of course, you know best. Its nice to see responsible parents getting their kids used to Aspartame and Acesulfame K at such an early age.

So far you have produced a child who is addicted to Ribena and Weetabix. Good job. ;) and with regard to your last comment I would refer you to the reply given earlier by my honourable friend the Vice President of the United States.

jaytee Jul 21st 2004 9:39 am

Re: Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 

Originally posted by LAL
We are in Texas (houston at the mo) but we'll be travelling around for the next couple of weeks and the baby has drank all her Ribena YIKES!!!:scared: We have tried with just water, but she doesn't drink half quarter what she should ( I could kill my mother for flavouring her water now!!!), we found some Robinsons Apple and Blackcurrant at an outrageous price in Publix supermarket chain in Florida but I cant seem find any in Texas!!! AGGGHHHH!! Any suggestions for replacement drinks or sightings of ribena or robinsons blackcurrant in texan supermarkets would be greatly appreciated to quench the thirst of a soon to be dehydrated 18 month old scumbag!!!At the mo we are trying her with hawaiian punch the kiwi and strawberry flavour she seems to like it but it is very green and I am worried about additives and hyperactivity for an already hyperactive child!!!
Cheers

LAL and Nellie the ribena guzzler XXXX
Try Fiesta Mart http://www.fiestamart.com/

They have international aisles at the big one on Blalock. There is a small British foods section there.

snorkmaiden Jul 21st 2004 1:41 pm

Kroger signature stores often have ribena in the British section but not toothkind. They do have the low sugar blackcurrant but only every now and again, my local ones don't have it at the moment. Just the orange and barley.

I had the same problem when I moved over here last year. My boys have a gentic condition which makes their teeth very brittle and susceptible to sugar. If only it were as simple as making them drink water instead :D

Unfortunately I haven't found anything sugar free that compares in taste to ribena.

We had the most success with the Country Time or Crystal Light powdered drinks that you mix up with water. None of those however taste like blackcurrant. The lemonade and strawberry lemonade flavours in particular our children found acceptible. Thankfully they will now drink water but it took for ever to make the transition.

Good Luck!!!

DaveC Jul 21st 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 
Check Central Market out, I get Ribena at our local one. There is one in Houston on 3815 Westheimer.

http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/cmLocation.jsp

If you make it up to the DFW area then there is a great little Indian grocery store in Arlington - near the Texas Rangers Ballpark and Six Flags over Texas. It has a shedload of Brit foods including Ribena and Robinsons Barley Water.

Also, there is a British Food Store in Grapevine (which I haven't been to yet).
http://www.british-emporium.com/

If you're coming up to Grapevine there is a fantastic Outlet Mall nearby.

I have also found Ribena in a British store in downtown Fort Worth, at the Rail Market.

http://www.fortworthpublicmarket.com/index2.cfm

AmerLisa Jul 21st 2004 2:53 pm

It is very hard to get a little one to drink only water (I must have had the only child in the free world who would drink just plain water - strange child) Anyway we did start giving her juice while we lived in the UK, but we gave her this stuff called Roo Juice (something Disney - hence the name Roo) Not sure who made it, but it was bloody expensive. Anyway, the one reason I continued using it was because it had absolutely NO SUGAR. I think even if you look at Ribena's Toothkind you'll find it has some unsavoury stuff in it. The best stuff you can buy over here (in my opinion) is Juicy Juice. Its 100% juice and of course you can water the stuff down, which is even better. The other great alternative is watered down apple juice. The absolute greatest is stuff you can find is juice that's not from concentrate, but pretty much that would be you buying a juicer and doing it yourself. All in all, don't waste your time or money looking for Ribena, you can find a good alternate here. Believe me, your child will drink what you give her, it may take a bit of encourgement, but hey, who's the parent? ;)

Good luck.

Lisa

Brit'n'TX Jul 21st 2004 4:00 pm

Re: Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 

Originally posted by g1ant
Wow, who pissed on your parade?????

I gave a simple piece of advice from someone who has seen first hand the damage that Ribena Toothkind can do to children's teeth. I don't see where that amounts to major critisism. It was simple advice. Advice which I still stand by. Water is better for kids than Ribena. No doubt about that.

Of course, you know best. Its nice to see responsible parents getting their kids used to Aspartame and Acesulfame K at such an early age.

So far you have produced a child who is addicted to Ribena and Weetabix. Good job. ;) and with regard to your last comment I would refer you to the reply given earlier by my honourable friend the Vice President of the United States.
nothing like a good rumble early on is there?


:D

g1ant Jul 21st 2004 4:01 pm

Re: Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 

Originally posted by Brit'n'TX
nothing like a good rumble early on is there?
:D :D :D

Taffyles Jul 21st 2004 4:40 pm

Cran-grape juice tastes very similar to Ribena. Use the 100% juice (not from concentrate though)- my grandkids love that, well watered down of course. Although my grandson is addicted to Lemon barley-my fault. Thankfully we can always get it in the supermarkets here..and I just colour the water with it. Both drink plenty of water though- when they're playing outside or at the pool, they'll drink anything that's wet in this Florida heat.

Yosser Jul 21st 2004 4:47 pm

so far this post has made me laugh :D

First of all, the baby is just...well a baby, its not like its been knocking back a gallon of Ribeana a week for 20 years has it?

Most all drinks (except for water) has a sugar content in it, so I wouldn't worry too much whilst on hoilday, maybe try
- Mott's apple juice (my daughter loves that), or Capri sun. If your daughter looks like she is dehydrated, there is a pedriatric liquid you can buy (walmart) that is plain water with nutrients, or you can buy flavoured pedriatic(black current I think).

maybe try, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, or Jack Daniels (alsong as it with Coke C2, less carbs, less cals;) ).

Ash UK/US Jul 21st 2004 6:58 pm

We were having a hard time trying to get our daughter to drink water (we tried all ways and means) anyhow we give her Gerber baby fruit juice and water mixed together. At our local store it is in the baby aisle not the drinks aisle... worth a try.

Ash :)

effi Jul 21st 2004 7:43 pm

Re: Help All Bri|tish Texans Sos!!!
 

Originally posted by LAL
We are in Texas (houston at the mo) but we'll be travelling around for the next couple of weeks and the baby has drank all her Ribena YIKES!!!:scared: We have tried with just water, but she doesn't drink half quarter what she should ( I could kill my mother for flavouring her water now!!!), we found some Robinsons Apple and Blackcurrant at an outrageous price in Publix supermarket chain in Florida but I cant seem find any in Texas!!! AGGGHHHH!! Any suggestions for replacement drinks or sightings of ribena or robinsons blackcurrant in texan supermarkets would be greatly appreciated to quench the thirst of a soon to be dehydrated 18 month old scumbag!!!At the mo we are trying her with hawaiian punch the kiwi and strawberry flavour she seems to like it but it is very green and I am worried about additives and hyperactivity for an already hyperactive child!!!
Cheers

LAL and Nellie the ribena guzzler XXXX
My little 2yr old g/son will only drink plain water. He does not like any kind of candy or ice cream, he does not even like the happy meals at mikkey Ds, strange kid. It is not like we kept any of this stuff from him, he just will not go for it, he loves fruit and veggies etc.

ironporer Jul 21st 2004 8:43 pm


Originally posted by AmerLisa
... but hey, who's the parent? ;)

I think that is the crux of the issue. God, I hate to see baby when she's 15...


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.