Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

help or advice please ....

help or advice please ....

Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

steve cross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help or advice please ....

hello group ,i have posted on here before asking for advice ,i have followed all advice given . but i hit a major problem getting a flight back to the uk now ,i had my passport stolen a while back ,i can get an emergency document off consulate in chicago ,my friend can book a flight for me in the uk to fly from chicago . but travel agent wants my passport info before booking a flight and the consulate wants to see a flight itinery before issuing any travel documents . i got no credit card to book online either .. any ideas ...
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: help or advice please ....

Originally Posted by steve cross
hello group ,i have posted on here before asking for advice ,i have followed all advice given . but i hit a major problem getting a flight back to the uk now ,i had my passport stolen a while back ,i can get an emergency document off consulate in chicago ,my friend can book a flight for me in the uk to fly from chicago . but travel agent wants my passport info before booking a flight and the consulate wants to see a flight itinery before issuing any travel documents . i got no credit card to book online either .. any ideas ...
Can't you get one of those prepaid credit cards and use that to pay with?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't quite tell what the problem is? Your friend is booking you a flight from US to Chicago. When the flight is booked, you'll receive an itinerary. Show that itinerary to the consulate.

Where's the problem?

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:44 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It would be useful for you to detail your activities in the original thread if you could, so those in the future can benefit from your experiences; and those that gave advice know what worked and what did not.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

ok i will try that again ,im in wisconsin i flew into orlando on the 11th december and was due out on 29th feb 2012 ,me and my fiance had to leave her mothers home due to a bust up ,we had to leave with nothing ,clothes on our backs ... im on the vwp too ..ok now i need to get back to the uk due to things not working out for me here with said fiance ..so my friend can book a ticket to get me home ,but travel agent wants my passport details ,the consulate can issue a emergency travel document but wants to see the flight itinery first .both consulate and travel agent wont try to sort this out .i hope that helps ..
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

..... but travel agent wants my passport info before booking a flight.....(
Did you just try the one agent? maybe an alternative agent will be more accommodating.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

i tried one in wisconsin where i am ,and one in wales where my friend is .they wont budge .its the law they said ..
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:50 pm
He/him

i tried one in wisconsin where i am ,and one in wales where my friend is .they wont budge .its the law they said ..
It might be the law, or it might not be, I do not expect people doing their job to necessarily know their job, maybe they do. maybe they do not.

As far as I know (and there is a good job I do not know it right) under the TSA Secure Flight Procedures, they need to provide name, dob and gender, so that you can be checked against the no flight list; not passport number. But even if what I say is correct, it does not help you if they or their manager is insisting,
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

ok i will try that again ,im in wisconsin i flew into orlando on the 11th december and was due out on 29th feb 2012 ,me and my fiance had to leave her mothers home due to a bust up ,we had to leave with nothing ,clothes on our backs ... im on the vwp too ..ok now i need to get back to the uk due to things not working out for me here with said fiance ..so my friend can book a ticket to get me home ,but travel agent wants my passport details ,the consulate can issue a emergency travel document but wants to see the flight itinery first .both consulate and travel agent wont try to sort this out .i hope that helps ..
Why don't you provide a provisional flight detail. i.e a flight that you are proposing to take.

Maybe the consulate has to provide you with a travel document which has an explicit flight on it and which will expire when you have taken the flight.

This is to prevent you, once again, overstaying like you did on the VWP.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:12 am
Just Joined

yes ,the docoment has to have a flight on it ,in this case chicago o hare to london ? then from london to manchester .im getting confused with all this red tape .
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you need a travel agent? To my knowledge, this can all be done on the internet. Your friend can book your flight for you (meaning pay for it) from the UK. You will get an email with the itinerary and flight information, along with the online ticket. No travel agent involved.

Once you get the itinerary and can print the online ticket, take that in to the consulate to get your emergency travel document.

It just doesn't seem as complicated as you're making it.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:33 am
Just Joined

my mum in the uk tried to book online for me ,but didnt know what she was doing and somehow got ripped off for 4oo dollars ,i got no card either .its probably not complicated .im just stressed out and cant think straight at the moment .
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:43 am
He/him

yes ,the docoment has to have a flight on it ,in this case chicago o hare to london ? then from london to manchester .im getting confused with all this red tape .
So it does not need to be a ticket, just an itinerary? Print one off a ticket web site. Edit it as needed.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:45 am

my mum in the uk tried to book online for me ,but didnt know what she was doing and somehow got ripped off for 4oo dollars ,i got no card either .its probably not complicated .im just stressed out and cant think straight at the moment .
OK, but right now your mom is not involved in this. You said you have a friend in the UK who is booking your flight. That's good. I assume your friend is the one paying for the flight, since the friend is doing the booking. So, when the friend is done booking and paying for the flight, he will use your email address on the information he provides during booking, and you will receive an email itinerary and most likely also an online ticket.

You will print this information and bring it to the consulate so they can give you the emergency travel document.

Then you go to the airport when the time comes, show your emergency travel document and your ticket, board the plane and go home.

It's not complicated.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung
So it does not need to be a ticket, just an itinerary? Print one off a ticket web site. Edit it as needed.
Yep, that too. If the consulate only needs to see some itinerary and not proof of purchase, then that's very easy to get....you can choose flights, print the itinerary, and show it to the consulate without even purchasing the ticket...

Personally I'd let the friend back home go ahead and get the ticket, and use that one, as you'll be able to show an actual ticketing number.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.