help

Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help

Originally Posted by caleyjag

Northern California, on the other hand, doesn't.
errr...it's expensive cost of living, it's an earthquake hole waiting to happen, well the Bay at least...

I'm surprised somewhere like NC or Colorado aren't more popular ex-pat holes tbh.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
errr...it's expensive cost of living, it's an earthquake hole waiting to happen, well the Bay at least...

I'm surprised somewhere like NC or Colorado aren't more popular ex-pat holes tbh.
It's expensive if you live in San Francisco.

However if you live elsewhere the cost drops off, as does the earthquake risk.

I only picked it as an example because of sun+sea. In any case, whatever way you swing it, it's better than Florida.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:59 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah see that's the thing. Florida seems to have all these drawbacks.

Northern California, on the other hand, doesn't.
Well I don't know about that, we have scorpions (they hurt) roaches, rattle snakes, temps above 100 for long stretches, dry dry heat that ages you prematurely no matter how much you moisturize. We also retreat to those A/C rooms and emerge when the sun goes down and hopefully it cools off a bit if we are lucky
I don't think the sea seems as warm here as other places or have just been unlucky every time I've been to Ocean Beach or other beaches too.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Apr 9th 2009 at 3:02 am.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: business in florida

Originally Posted by steve8898
please help my family and i would love to live and work in florida, but we do not have skilled jobs, i work in child day care and my husband is truck driver and x army. we have some money to buy house and business but can we buy any business to get visa < i saw on tv a man buying lawn business for $100,00 and that got him and his family in but this was 5 years ago> can we still do this ?. please can you tell me best ways to get into the usa.
we have job offer in canada and can move fairly quick, but i love florida and really want to move there.

i also have daughter whos half sister is us citizen who would sponser us if she could
thanks but would like to hear from people who have done it
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Well I don't know about that, we have scorpions (they hurt) roaches, rattle snakes, temps above 100 for long stretches, dry dry heat that ages you prematurely no matter how much you moisturize. We also retreat to those A/C rooms and emerge when the sun goes down and hopefully it cools off a bit if we are lucky
I don't think the sea seems as warm here as other places or have just been unlucky every time I've been to Ocean Beach or other beaches too.
I think the sun/heat is primarily what all these first time Brit ex-pats are looking for.

Ocean beach is ALWAYS freezing. It's like your very own personal piece of Aberdeen.

When you factor it all together though (and Tahoe, Big Sur and Yosemite are big factors), I reckon the only place in the country that can seriously compete with Northern California as a place to live is the Pacific Northwest.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think the sun/heat is primarily what all these first time Brit ex-pats are looking for.

Ocean beach is ALWAYS freezing. It's like your very own personal piece of Aberdeen.

When you factor it all together though (and Tahoe, Big Sur and Yosemite are big factors), I reckon the only place in the country that can seriously compete with Northern California as a place to live is the Pacific Northwest.
I thought the water temp felt familiar, I took me back to my childhood days dipping in the Irish sea and there was me, one of those delusional Brits thinking the Pacific Ocean was warm and exotic
The trouble is Tahoe, Yosemite and San Francisco are all so far away from each other it'd be like touring Europe, "lets just pop to France for the weekend and go through Germany on the home"
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the only place in the country that can seriously compete with Northern California as a place to live is the Pacific Northwest.
Oh, hello.
(shhhh!)
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Should try taking a dip in the ocean on the East coast
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You need to love large roaches, alligators, mosquitos and snakes. Florida is not a promise land but guess the grey and damp environment of parts of the UK make it appear to be.
I have relatives in Daytona Beach, FL. WAAAY too many huge scary looking cockroaches for my liking. Found one right on my pillow as I was about to lay my head there to go to sleep. That killed me ever wanting to live there.

Rene
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

thanks but i would like to hear from people who have done it
The FIRST bloody line of Pulaski's Ways reads:

The following is a non-legal guide to living and working in the USA by people who have already done it.

We really can't help those who can't help themselves!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
:
The trouble is Tahoe, Yosemite and San Francisco are all so far away from each other it'd be like touring Europe, "lets just pop to France for the weekend and go through Germany on the home"
You could look at it like that.

However the better way to look at it is "hey kids, let's go camping this weekend!"

In California you are spoilt for choice.

In Florida....... not so much.

Also, 3 hour drive to Tahoe for skiing is just about justifiable for a daytrip. I've seen nutters drive from London through the night to get to Aviemore for the same thing!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I have relatives in Daytona Beach, FL. WAAAY too many huge scary looking cockroaches for my liking. Found one right on my pillow as I was about to lay my head there to go to sleep. That killed me ever wanting to live there.

Rene
hahahah.. how's them scorpions treating you though?

Oh caleyjag, I went camping one night in Florida. ONE night. An armadillo almost killed me.
And it was the sweatiest night of non-sleep I ever had. Motels were invented for a reason!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

However the better way to look at it is "hey kids, let's go camping this weekend!"
Like the Italian PM did about the earthquakes?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:55 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Why do people who have visitted Florida want to live there ?
It's not the wonderfull place they all see on holiday !

I used to visit Lake George on holidays every year and always wantd to live around the area ...... for the last 9 years I have achieved that and wish to f**k I hadn't on many an occassion. Life here is far fro a holiday
Classic Hasler.

Seriously though, I always wanted to live in France after being there as a kid on hols

Let 'em all go to Florida....there's no room left in Maine anyway.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:29 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
Let 'em all go to Florida....there's no room left in Maine anyway.
Texas is full. See how well I'm assimilating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.