Help!!

Old Apr 17th 2001, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Soliliquy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an 18 yr old British student hoping to spend 3-6 months living and working in the US on my gap year in between high school and college. I have tried to do my research on the immigration process but I've found it extremely confusing. Which type of visa do I need to apply for and how long should the procedure take? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 18th 2001, 12:18 am
robmhamilton

if you want to work (legally that is) you would need a work visa...in which case you
need to find a company to sponsor you. Not to put you off, but you may find this very
difficult to do in the short term as it can take 3-4 months to even process a visa.
If you just want to visit the states for up to 90 days, you can enter on the visa
waiver program. If you wnat to stay for longer than 90 days, you should apply for a
B1/B2 visa, which lets you stay for up to 180 days. You can find all the information
about visas on a lot of websites, but probably best to try the US consulate in
Londons home page.

Good Luck

Old Apr 18th 2001, 3:35 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Try BUNAC. I found this site by accident one day.

Its a national student club that offers work and travel programmes worldwide. During the summer months they have got opportunities to work and travel in the USA on a special J-1 work/travel programme visa sponsored by the International Branch of the YMCA.

http://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/workamerica/index.htm

Regards

Sue