British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   helo forum need info on sharing a shippping container (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/helo-forum-need-info-sharing-shippping-container-769719/)

derkiow Aug 28th 2012 9:01 am

helo forum need info on sharing a shippping container

Hello forum . just joined ,i want to take a motorcycle back to the uk has anyone got any info and and has anyone got any room in a shipping container...derk

kirstyp Aug 28th 2012 12:54 pm

Re: helo forum need info on sharing a shippping container

Originally Posted by derkiow (Post 10250199)
Hello forum . just joined ,i want to take a motorcycle back to the uk has anyone got any info and and has anyone got any room in a shipping container...derk

Hi Derk, try contacting a moving company direct and asking about shared container services, most offer this service and they put you with their own customers moving at the same time to save you having to do the search.

Here is what FIDI (international professional moving association) has to say about moving vehicles into the UK:

- For duty-free importation use form C104A (your shipping company will provide)
- Documentary proof that the car/vehicle has been owned and used by the importer in the origin country for at least 12 months prior to shipment (e.g. proof of insurance; purchase invoice)

Used cars/vehicles can be imported into the UK duty and tax free so long as the importer :
- is moving their normal home to the EC
- has had their normal home outside the EC for a continuous period of at least 12 months
- has possessed and used it for at least 6 months outside the EC before it is imported
- did not get it under a duty/taxfree scheme
- declares it correctly to UK Customs
- will retain it for their own personal use
- will not sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of it in the EC within 12 months of importation

The car/vehicle can arrive no more than six months before the importer’s
own arrival date. The car/vehicle can arrive no more than twelve months after the importer’s own arrival date.

Hope that helps!

lf1 Aug 28th 2012 3:10 pm

Derkiow, Kirsty is right. It is best to contact a moving company and they will arrange for you to share a container. We have just moved from Canada to Scotland and that is exactly what we are doing.

If you post where you are moving from, some other posters may be able to recommend a moving company.

Best of luck with your move.:)

derkiow Aug 28th 2012 10:50 pm

thank's for the replies , i,m based in Cairns , here is my story. I have been traveling around Australia on my motor bike when on the 1st of August I had a bad motorbike accident I am on the mend and bike is repaired , but i need to get back to the uk and i would like to get the bike back as well .Time scale for the bike returning is not to important as for me i need return my the 18th of September....Any assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated..... Derk

lf1 Aug 29th 2012 6:03 am

Derk, sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are on the mend. Hopefully, someone will be along shortly with a recommendation for a mover.:)