British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   hello there! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hello-there-407663/)

Manc Nov 12th 2006 8:57 pm

Re: hello there!

Originally Posted by britpunk101
i have one thing sorted, i'm living with a friend :D

marry him, it'll be easier

Ray Nov 12th 2006 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

Unless you are a gay couple of course .....

jumping doris Nov 13th 2006 1:25 am

Originally Posted by scatty
Because the fees will be approx $20,000.00 pa, then you had to pay for accomodation and food medical insurance

There is only a small amount of work allowed on a student visa

So hope your parents are rich

A bit more than that. We are looking at schools for my eldest and the average for a smallish uni is about $24,000. That often includes accomodation but there are lots of extras....$900 a year for books for starters.Jobs on campus are very limited and the hours you can work are restricted.
We are hoping for our greencards before she starts and that will half the fees!

After looking at lots of schools I cannot see the attraction of comming here to get a degree. Different if it's a big place like Yale perhaps but otherwise I would stay in the UK.
That's my gloomy bit of advice but welcome to BE .

Bob Nov 13th 2006 3:59 am

Originally Posted by jumping doris
A bit more than that. We are looking at schools for my eldest and the average for a smallish uni is about $24,000. That often includes accomodation but there are lots of extras....$900 a year for books for starters.Jobs on campus are very limited and the hours you can work are restricted.
We are hoping for our greencards before she starts and that will half the fees!

Where the missus went, tuition was $34 a year, accommodation and food were extra and were required, so might as well have used it.

Best bet would be to do an exchange year, quite a few uni's do them, still need to have around $10K per semester all the same, though doing it as an exchange year you can probably get ERASAMUS sponsorship and possibly that other one.

Anyway, welcome to BE :)

jumping doris Nov 13th 2006 2:20 pm

The other thing to remember are the alcohol laws here. Most campuses we have visited have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol and drugs. That means no student bar! The legal age for drinking is 21 and a few of the colleges we have seen do not allow people over that age to drink on campus.
Obviously it goes on but the penalties for getting caught can be very harsh.

My daughters friends at Uni in the UK are really are amazed by this as you can imagine.
But of course you may be teetotal :)

Partystar Nov 13th 2006 4:55 pm

i dont get anything for free here... but medical insurance isnt a must in our country, so thats gonna be weird gettin used to

I find that hard to believe!

Oh & welcome to BE!

Elvira Nov 13th 2006 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar

Oh & welcome to BE!

Isn't it amazing how much Brits take for granted until they move abroad?

Partystar Nov 13th 2006 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Isn't it amazing how much Brits take for granted until they move abroad?

Yes, it is. Although, I am slightly guilty of that one myself, but in my defense, I was misinformed by my husband! :rolleyes:

Bob Nov 13th 2006 5:11 pm

Yes, it is. Although, I am slightly guilty of that one myself, but in my defense, I was misinformed by my husband! :rolleyes:

and the tele :D

Elvira Nov 13th 2006 5:21 pm

And you have not let the poor chap forget this ever since, right? :D

Partystar Nov 13th 2006 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
and the tele :D

Nope, I don't fall for that bollox!

Partystar Nov 13th 2006 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
And you have not let the poor chap forget this ever since, right? :D

Of course! :D Although I don't blame him for that part, he joined the military when he was 19, so he didn't know much about 'adult responsibilities', he was still living at home, bless!

britpunk101 Nov 14th 2006 5:16 pm

Oh & welcome to BE!

by saying 'getting things for free' you do mean state benefits etc dont u? coz i dont get any of them... but i do need a hell of a lot of info before i move.. so any info would be great :D

britpunk101 Nov 14th 2006 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

and my friend is female, so that wouldnt work :p

Bob Nov 14th 2006 5:40 pm

by saying 'getting things for free' you do mean state benefits etc dont u?...

Well you get the NHS for free, dental is a lot cheaper, and you have all those benefits to fall back on...

As a student in the US, if you drop a class, and fall under the credit hours required, you'll be kicked out straight off...a few years ago, a bunch of students going to San Fran got letters telling them to leave the country a day before the university told them that a class was being canceled which put them under the required hours of study.

Car insurance and just plain running a car is also a lot more expensive over here, especially as you won't have any credit history and your young.

You also can't work in your first semester as a student, and when you are allowed to work, it has to be part time and on campus work only...not so great when you have to pay for your visa, whilst in the UK, there isn't a process, you turn up in blighty with a letter from school saying you have been accepted, and your passport gets stamped for the length of the course.