Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hello there!

hello there!

Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:24 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello there!

Originally Posted by britpunk101
by saying 'getting things for free' you do mean state benefits etc dont u? coz i dont get any of them... but i do need a hell of a lot of info before i move.. so any info would be great
There are so many every day costs that will start popping up, such as travel/medical/dental etc, don't leave yourself high & dry. I don't know how the public transport is in WA, but that might be something you could look into, as Bob said, buying a car could prove difficult for you (a decent credit rating is almost a must to live here), so just make sure you do your homework.

Good luck to you!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

StephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to behold

yeah thanks for the warm welcome

i've been interested in going to university in America for a long time. just finishing re-sitting my A Levels so i can get in
I went to university in America and yes it is very expensive but it also depends where you go. I went to a small state university in SW Missouri..(Don't ask!?!?) it wasn't that bad compared to the big state schools. But I didn't have to pay overseas tuition...had my Green Card by then. I had some friends who were there from overseas and compared to the bigger schools they saved a bunch and got the same education.
Yes...books will be extra and you will need transportation if there is no good public transportation in that area..although..if you live on campus you won't need a car that much. I had some friends who lived on campus and didn't have a car and on the weekends they all just came out with us.
You might be able to get on a exchange program with another university but usually you have to go to school in the UK first for that to happen.
I don't want to be all gloomy on this post...I am a firm believer that if you want it bad enough you can make it happen.
Just research alot first...you are well on your way asking questions on this forum...
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

hiya my name is kay, i am 20yrs old and looking to move across the pond for university. is there anyone here who studies at western washington university in Bellingham, WA? if so, i would love to know more about the town and what there is to do there?

i also need info about all the laws etc like how i go about getting my visas etc...

thanks!
Are you considering living and working in the US after uni? If so do you know how feasible it is? If you intend to return to the UK you may be better to stay and get a UK degree.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Shouldn't britspunks post be in the immigration forum?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Shouldn't britspunks post be in the immigration forum?
And WTF would YOU care?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
And WTF would YOU care?
I dont...it was a got opportunity to sneak in the word "spunk" and I grabbed it.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

britpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Well you get the NHS for free, dental is a lot cheaper, and you have all those benefits to fall back on...

As a student in the US, if you drop a class, and fall under the credit hours required, you'll be kicked out straight off...a few years ago, a bunch of students going to San Fran got letters telling them to leave the country a day before the university told them that a class was being canceled which put them under the required hours of study.

Car insurance and just plain running a car is also a lot more expensive over here, especially as you won't have any credit history and your young.

You also can't work in your first semester as a student, and when you are allowed to work, it has to be part time and on campus work only...not so great when you have to pay for your visa, whilst in the UK, there isn't a process, you turn up in blighty with a letter from school saying you have been accepted, and your passport gets stamped for the length of the course.
we get nhs for free but many of us choose to go private, as do i. you arent doing a very good job of encouraging me to leave for the US lol
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

we get nhs for free but many of us choose to go private, as do i. you arent doing a very good job of encouraging me to leave for the US lol

<<<sigh>>>

Some reading for you:

The San Francisco Chronicle - October 11-15, 2004
IN CRITICAL CONDITION: HEALTH CARE IN AMERICA

Why health care costs are rising fast. Plus the Bush and Kerry health care plans.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGII96CVP1.DTL
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGII96D031.DTL

Retirees hit hard as health benefits are lost.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...UGMN979TS1.DTL

Health care tops the labor-management agenda.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...UGMN97GRD1.DTL

How Canada provides health care for all.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...GR28JFEN59.DTL

Employees are digging deeper to pay for health insurance.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...G7T8E81H63.DTL
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't encourage people.

I don't tell them that it is the land of milk and honey because it is not.

just have a fair idea of what you're letting yourself into.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:45 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

Very good advice.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

britpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud ofbritpunk101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc

that is why i am here, i honestly dont have a clue what i am getting myself into. hence the reason i asked for info/advice on anything you can offer
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

that is why i am here, i honestly dont have a clue what i am getting myself into. hence the reason i asked for info/advice on anything you can offer
unless your parents are seriously loaded,

or you are going into a field that is excellently paid and will get you a green card immediately upon graduation.

then I think studying in the United States is a bad idea and will leave you in a mountain of debt.

"staying with a friend" is not an acceptable alternative to taking care of yourself.

it will take one row / barney / disagreement / eviction notice to leave you basically destitute.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:31 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

What are you planning to study at University? If you are doing a degree in American Studies, some uni's offer a 'sandwich' course which often includes a semester at an American University. Otherwise, if you would like a taster of life abroad I suggest looking into any of these places:

http://www.mountbatten.org/
Is an internship program in New York City and is expensive as hell.

http://www.bunac.org/ - Is good to do without tons of money and would give you a taste of America

http://www.workandtravelusa.net/ site title says it all.

As others have said, you need a lot of money if you want to live and study in the US, most of the international students here are either geniuses or have very wealthy parents. imagine how much money you'll need to live and study in the USA and then double that figure. It is do-able but it will require a lot of saving up on your part.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sarah
What are you planning to study at University? If you are doing a degree in American Studies, some uni's offer a 'sandwich' course which often includes a semester at an American University. Otherwise, if you would like a taster of life abroad I suggest looking into any of these places:

http://www.mountbatten.org/
Is an internship program in New York City and is expensive as hell.

http://www.bunac.org/ - Is good to do without tons of money and would give you a taste of America

http://www.workandtravelusa.net/ site title says it all.

As others have said, you need a lot of money if you want to live and study in the US, most of the international students here are either geniuses or have very wealthy parents. imagine how much money you'll need to live and study in the USA and then double that figure. It is do-able but it will require a lot of saving up on your part.
i would like to go to WWU Bellingham, WA. i am going to see if my college can put me forward for a scholarship as i am currently scoring top of the Chemistry Dept. (not that i like to brag lol) and i want to study Forensics or something Chemistry based
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you considering living and working in the US after uni? If so do you know how feasible it is? If you intend to return to the UK you may be better to stay and get a UK degree.
yes i do plan on staying in the US after uni. i am going into the fields of medicine or chemistry so they will pay quite high once i have graduated.

can someone explain to me the greencard system?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.