Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello from a soon to be overwhelmed newbie!

Wikiposts

Hello from a soon to be overwhelmed newbie!

Old Jul 29th 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from a soon to be overwhelmed newbie!

Hi all, back again. The 'soon to be' is rapidly turning into 'completely' as I navigate my way through the red tape of our move!

Can anyone tell me if my son's XBox 1 and PS4 will work in the US? A minor thing on my list, but top priority for an 11 yr old!

Thanks again
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Hi all, back again. The 'soon to be' is rapidly turning into 'completely' as I navigate my way through the red tape of our move!

Can anyone tell me if my son's XBox 1 and PS4 will work in the US? A minor thing on my list, but top priority for an 11 yr old!

Thanks again
Its a good idea to get the important bits out the way, thats why i checked Looks like you will need to buy a new power supply for the Xbox one(
Amazon.com Amazon.com
)

The ps4 is good for 100 - 240V and 50 or 60hz so just get yourself a US power lead for this one (
Amazon.com Amazon.com
).
Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, another thing to tick off (almost). I don't use Amazon, so will have to seek out another supplier :-)
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:14 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

up above - you mention the kids will be prepared to do several hours of catching up a night if they need to - but they may already be getting several hours of US school work too - just bear that in mind.

Plus if they spend hours every night working - they will miss out on the social side of things you say they are looking for.

tough choices to be making for sure.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:23 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use Amazon
Well thats an eye catching claim. Why ever not?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MsElui
up above - you mention the kids will be prepared to do several hours of catching up a night if they need to - but they may already be getting several hours of US school work too - just bear that in mind.

Plus if they spend hours every night working - they will miss out on the social side of things you say they are looking for.
Agreed, it's tough, but exam season is tough and whether they are in the UK or US in the few months of build up to their exams a social life is pretty much confined to weekends. That's certainly the way it is in their peer group here.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Well thats an eye catching claim. Why ever not?
They have a somewhat questionable reputation when it comes to UK taxes.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:20 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, I know the academic capabilities of my children. Their current school is supportive and whilst we all appreciate it's not the best time, that's what our timetable is.

Onwards with the research
No one is pretending to know your children better than you. I wish your kids luck when you throw them into the mixer
Old Jul 31st 2014, 5:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, it's tough, but exam season is tough and whether they are in the UK or US in the few months of build up to their exams a social life is pretty much confined to weekends. That's certainly the way it is in their peer group here.
Here, it seems to all be based around school activities, sports and camps for a large part and they're through out...they're also not cheap.

As for the consoles, while the PS4 isn't region locked, some games may be. The issue though is DLC content, which is locked to the region of the game, so buy a game in the US and US DLC will be fine, but if you bring UK games over, DLC downloaded here might not be.

The Bone is region free. The issue is trying to renew the online membership stuff, trying to change a card to one issued in another country is next to not going to happen.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

So things are speeding along through the legals. OH has decided to base himself in Schaumburg so we now have a focus for the relocation research. We'll be coming over early Sept for a few days to get a feel for the area. Number one priority for OH is a commute of under an hour.

I assume we can just come out using our current ESTA status?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

For a visit yes.