Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello from a soon to be overwhelmed newbie!

Hello from a soon to be overwhelmed newbie!

Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from a soon to be overwhelmed newbie!

You know, the OP and her family have made this decision so why are you all being so negative?

Yes it is a difficult age to move but it sounds like they know what they are getting into. I imagine keeping the family together is top priority, and kids whatever age with the right motivation and help usually manage to survive changes unscathed. Many even embrace the situation.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You know, the OP and her family have made this decision so why are you all being so negative?

Yes it is a difficult age to move but it sounds like they know what they are getting into. I imagine keeping the family together is top priority, and kids whatever age with the right motivation and help usually manage to survive changes unscathed. Many even embrace the situation.
OP will get a range of views and will no doubt do as she sees fit.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
I'm hopefully not being too naive as to the impact of the move on the oldest 2. They've been involved in the decision from the start and appreciate that they'll be coming back to do their exams in May 15. Having already been through the GCSE process once, after Feb half term most of the lessons are spent on revision. The idea of them entering high school is so that they can establish themselves into their community. They're both intelligent and motivated enough to put the hours in on an evening to revise their respective subjects.

It seems from advice on other threads that you either choose a house then hope the school is in the catchment area or set your heart on the best school and then find a home that works. We can be fairly flexible with the rental budget, but it will be a deal breaker for my husband if the commute is more than an hour. As I said earlier, we have an office location choice of either Schaumburg or downtown Chicago (Quincy/Wells area)
Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're kidding, right?
It's just not the same set up as the UK. The schools are completely different and your 18 year old may not even be able to slot into a regular high school, nor want to. For him it would be going in reverse and I can't imagine it would be good, even for social aspects. The 16 year old stands a better chance, but again she may not find the classes suit her. I'd do more research on the whole thing and hopefully come up with a better plan.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jul 29th 2014 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I don't come across negative, although maybe that's what it is, I hope not.

I do think the OP needs to be aware of the school system here and that it is really different to what her kids are going through now. I don't want that to be a negative thing, but since the oldest is so close to being finished with school I'm not quite sure how beneficial a year taken away from his school will help. At 18 he may not be allowed to enroll in public school anyway. One positive idea is that he could definitely go to community college for that year. He'd fine more kids his age anyway.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 4:09 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

...The idea of them entering high school is so that they can establish themselves into their community.
Do the two oldest know they will not be able to go down the pub? Not meaning to be flippant, but the pub is at the heart of many UK kids of that age social life, and it is very different in the states.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Negative might be better defined as realistic. It's a huge move and one we're approaching with definite eyes open so am grateful and appreciative of all advice.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
OP will get a range of views and will no doubt do as she sees fit.
Yep, I'm a big girl (and fairly stubborn) so listening to and acting on advice might be 2 diiferent things Saying that, I've searched out this forum as, hopefully the contributors have experiences they can share.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
It's just not the same set up as the UK. The schools are completely different and your 18 year old may not even be able to slot into a regular high school, nor want to. For him it would be going in reverse and I can't imagine it would be good, even for social aspects. The 16 year old stands a better chance, but again she may not find the classes suit her. I'd do more research on the whole thing and hopefully come up with a better plan.
Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I hope I don't come across negative, although maybe that's what it is, I hope not.

I do think the OP needs to be aware of the school system here and that it is really different to what her kids are going through now. I don't want that to be a negative thing, but since the oldest is so close to being finished with school I'm not quite sure how beneficial a year taken away from his school will help. At 18 he may not be allowed to enroll in public school anyway. One positive idea is that he could definitely go to community college for that year. He'd fine more kids his age anyway.
It'll be for the final 4 months of his school year, as I said earlier, with the support of his current school, he'll be continuing to study for his A Levels on an evening. Community College is an option we hadn't really considered, but it could work for him - he'll be returning to the UK to go to University here, probably after taking 'a gap year', but he may decide he wants to go straight away.

I need to do more research on the options for my daughter post 16 - APs I believe might be an option?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Do the two oldest know they will not be able to go down the pub? Not meaning to be flippant, but the pub is at the heart of many UK kids of that age social life, and it is very different in the states.

The older one's social lives revolve around going to music concerts and their season tickets at Everton.

I now sound neglectful of the 11 yr old! Going to trawl the review sites for school districts and highly rated schools so we can start to draw up a few areas to look at.

Thanks for all your replies so far

Last edited by loubiblu; Jul 29th 2014 at 5:39 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:01 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I need to do more research on the options for my daughter post 16 - APs I believe might be an option?
Here in Washington we have a program called "running start" 11 and 12 graders can attend college, taking college level course, and getting HS credit for them. Your chosen destination probably has something similar.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Negative might be better defined as realistic. It's a huge move and one we're approaching with definite eyes open so am grateful and appreciative of all advice.

Yep, I'm a big girl (and fairly stubborn) so listening to and acting on advice might be 2 diiferent things Saying that, I've searched out this forum as, hopefully the contributors have experiences they can share.

It'll be for the final 4 months of his school year, as I said earlier, with the support of his current school, he'll be continuing to study for his A Levels on an evening. Community College is an option we hadn't really considered, but it could work for him - he'll be returning to the UK to go to University here, probably after taking 'a gap year', but he may decide he wants to go straight away.

Yep APs and the best idea is the IB program. But seriously because the oldest is 18 the local high school may not take him and community college will probably be his spot, which isn't bad for an 18 year old.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The older one's social lives revolve around going to music concerts and their season tickets at Everton.

I now sound neglectful of the 11 yr old! Going to trawl the review sites for school districts and highly rated schools so we can start to draw up a few areas to look at.

Thanks for all your replies so far
AP classes are college-level classes which may be offered at the school - it varies as to how many and which subjects. Students can actually take them at different points in their high school career and may take some right from the start. They are considered analogous to A-levels by UK universities but it's a different set-up within the curriculum.

Lack of pubs is a good point actually. Socializing for my kids tended to take place more at parties or 'hanging' at people's houses. Of course one never knows quite what they're up to. One time a couple of years ago my daughter got caught out because she had 'gone to a friend's house to study', however due to work on the freeway they couldn't get back home from their clubbing in West Hollywood

Yes, I was thinking we'd neglected the 11-year-old! It should be an easier fit but their concerns should not be overlooked.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jul 29th 2014 at 6:31 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

+1.

I'm surprised some of these doom-mongers ever get out of bed in the morning. Even if it all goes tits-up what's the worst thing that can happen?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Macca67
+1.

I'm surprised some of these doom-mongers ever get out of bed in the morning. Even if it all goes tits-up what's the worst thing that can happen?
Only for $10,000.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

+1.

Well it could screw up their exams, their shot at their choice of uni and/or degree, and thereby there career. All for five months of spinning their wheels in the US. ..... Yes, I agree, that might be the pessimistic view, but conversely there is, IMO, virtually no tangible upside benefit to not seeing out their A and O level courses in a more conventional manner.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
One time a couple of years ago my daughter got caught out because she had 'gone to a friend's house to study', however due to work on the freeway they couldn't get back home from their clubbing in West Hollywood
I've got an app for that. find my iPhone
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

+1.

Considering that you can get in trouble for taking your kids out of school for a few days holiday in the UK, including possible jail time then a move like this could be considered equivalent if not worse with regards to the effects on the children education IMO.

I wouldn't even want to move or change schools within the UK if my kids were at this stage in school.

But each to their own. I hope it works out.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Considering that you can get in trouble for taking your kids out of school for a few days holiday in the UK, including possible jail time then a move like this could be considered equivalent if not worse with regards to the effects on the children education IMO.
Couple of misconceptions here - unauthorised absence, ie taking holiday in term time only applies to state schools. Jail would only be a possibility for refusal of paying the fine impose by the LA.

With respect, I know the academic capabilities of my children. Their current school is supportive and whilst we all appreciate it's not the best time, that's what our timetable is.

Onwards with the research

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.