Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello!! A question about location

Hello!! A question about location

Old Oct 24th 2003, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Hello!! A question about location

Hello everyone, I have been hanging around in the marriage visa forum for a while now before and after emigrating here to marry my USC wife. I feel it is now time to move on over to this forum, if no one has any objections?

Well long story short I want to ask you guys a question about location. The wife and I are looking to relocate from Columbus, Ohio when she gaduates from vet school in May. Only we can't decide where.

Employment will be the biggest factor I guess, she wil be a vet and I am a manufaturing engineer, so I will require some kind of industry where we move too. Eventually we would like to own our own vet practice together.

So my question is where should we go? Let me know what is good and bad where you live and give us some ideas of where to research.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Old Oct 24th 2003, 1:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!! A question about location

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
<<snip>>

Well long story short I want to ask you guys a question about location. The wife and I are looking to relocate from Columbus, Ohio when she gaduates from vet school in May. Only we can't decide where.

Employment will be the biggest factor I guess, she wil be a vet and I am a manufaturing engineer, so I will require some kind of industry where we move too. Eventually we would like to own our own vet practice together.

So my question is where should we go? Let me know what is good and bad where you live and give us some ideas of where to research.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
This is not a recommendation but I would like to tell you about a couple I know (not very well).

The husband is British (that's how I know the couple) and his wife is US/NZ. The two have recently moved to Raleigh, NC so that the wife can attend graduate school at NC State to study to be a vet.

From what the husband's told me, there are a limited no. of universities in the country to study to be vet. Does the fact that NC State offers such a course indicate a local need for vets? Maybe?

I don't know about Raleigh itself but I know are a number of manufacturing (automative related come to mind. I'm sure there's more) companies in Durham.

You'll probably find more info on the web about employers for vets and in your industry, e.g. local papers, job websites.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!! A question about location

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Hello everyone, I have been hanging around in the marriage visa forum for a while now before and after emigrating here to marry my USC wife. I feel it is now time to move on over to this forum, if no one has any objections?

So my question is where should we go? Let me know what is good and bad where you live and give us some ideas of where to research. ....
It really depends what sort of veterinarian you wife wants to be - large animals = rural location, household pets = city location. Apart from that I'd have said that you are likely to find it harder to get work than your wife (manufacturing and a non-American wil make things a little harder for you), so I'd recommend looking for a likely place/ region of employment for yourself and taking it from there.

Apart from that, if you really don't know try starting with the "big picture". Do you like hot or cold weather? East or west coast? Narrow things down that way. Is, say, access to a theater important, or lakes, mountains, pro-sports teams? .... Where is you wife's family living? .... And do you want to be near them or far from them!