Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello Newbie saying hi - What made you move from the UK?

Wikiposts

Hello Newbie saying hi - What made you move from the UK?

Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Newbie saying hi - What made you move from the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really?!?

LOL!
Although it's more a person I'm interested in than a place. But being a native, you know she's going to stress the positives and ignore the negatives.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
Although it's more a person I'm interested in than a place.
Good job really!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:58 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Good job really!
I win!!! I was betting with myself when I saw you'd replied that you would have said that!!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I win!!! I was betting with myself when I saw you'd replied that you would have said that!!
Well someone had to!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Newcastle's gorgeous. The locals are friendly and the young ladies there seem to have just a touch more class than the average. I's also well known for its nightlife. If the weather's nice you can pop along to the nearby coastal resort of Whitley Bay.
Sadly the exotic 'Spanish City' is no more.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:40 am
Just Joined

NikosF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nicole5446
What led you to move FROM the UK? I wonder as I am so desperate to move there now.
I moved from the UK to the US because the company I was working for in the UK insisted on me taking a role that was based in the US. What was interesting is that my wife (who was born in the US but had spent the last 18 years living in Europe) really, really didn't want to leave London. I pretty much dragged her kicking and screaming from the UK. She's settled in here now (the lack of traffic and big houses are nice), but we both miss London a lot.

It seems like the UK has changed a bit in the two years since we left though - 50% income tax and 20% VAT must hurt a little.

Having lived in quite a few different countries on three continents - it's all about having the right attitude and enjoying a place for what it offers. Don't look backwards - look forwards.

Good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikosF
It seems like the UK has changed a bit in the two years since we left though - 50% income tax and 20% VAT must hurt a little.

Good luck.
Isn't the 50% income tax rate for people earning over £150,000? It seems to me that for ordinary middle class working folks tax is probably less onerous in the UK than in the US (remember to factor in the following in the US; high property taxes, state/city/county income tax, out of pocket medical expenses and probably some other things I haven't thought of.)
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hello!

We are heading over to Somerset! I love the area...the weather and scenery are so nice. It would be nice to be closer to London just for entertainment and activities, but it's only a few hours away on train. Though I was surprised at how expensive rail fare is now!
You'll be close to Bristol though, which has a lot to offer. Rail fare is expensive, but you can often get good prices by planning in advance and definitely avoiding peak times (I've seen prices quadruple ). Buses tend to be cheaper, but depending on the route can take longer of course. Another alternative is to drive to a park and ride nearer London, and taking a shorter rail journey.

Anyway, we moved to the US because it was here or a tiny town in Sweden, if my husband wanted to keep his job. We didn't really think about it too long though. I'm definitely a believer in taking this sort of opportunity, even if it's a risk, as they don't come around very often. So far, we are loving it, but it has only been 6 months

ETA - I was a bit saddened by how many people at work said to me "I don't blame you for going, the way this country is going....". Personally I think if you think that way, then it's going to follow you wherever you go.

Last edited by taffie77; Sep 15th 2010 at 6:06 am.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Nicole5446 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NikosF
Having lived in quite a few different countries on three continents - it's all about having the right attitude and enjoying a place for what it offers. Don't look backwards - look forwards.

Good luck.
That's good advice....it's not really where you live but how you live, right?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Nicole5446 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
My wife & I lived in Somerset for eight years. It is a very nice part of the country, we could get to Bristol, Bath & Exeter for day trips by car & the train to London is pretty quick from Taunton.. (we lived in Minehead.)
My SO is in Taunton! The town gets sort of silly at night but it has everything you'd need within walking distance. And I LOVE going to Bath! What an amazing city.

Went to Minehead but once to get on the steam train
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My SO is in Taunton! The town gets sort of silly at night but it has everything you'd need within walking distance. And I LOVE going to Bath! What an amazing city.

Went to Minehead but once to get on the steam train
Yup Somerset is a beautiful county. Taunton is a nice little place (must admit I was never there in the evening!!) Quantocks & Exmoor are good walking country, Blue Anchor Bay and nearby places have amazing fossils and other interesting rocks. But we are now thinking of moving to South Devon, where we lived before we moved to Minehead. I'd like to move to North East England, but my wife (who is from The Bronx originally) claims the NE of England is too cold & damp for her.. so we compromised on Devon.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I don't understand, what do you mean good job?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by traceym
Well someone had to!
Someone had to what?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
I don't know about moving over there, but I definitely have to visit. I know a girl in Newcastle whom I've been talking to for several months, and she's invited me. She sure makes it sound like a great place. I'm a little nervous about it though. Well, maybe more than a little nervous, to be honest.
Well Tom, you salty old dog!
I knew you had an ulterior motive for hanging around here.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah. Well, it seemed like a good place to learn a little about British culture, and I enjoy hearing peoples stories of how they're getting along here. I doubt that I will end up getting married, but she's become a very dear friend over the last several months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.