Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello from a new expat to Houston

Hello from a new expat to Houston

Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello from a new expat to Houston

Hi there. Sought out this forum as we moved over to Houston 2 weeks ago and I'm the 'trailing spouse' as the Expert Expatriate book kindly called me!

So far I've found the shops, collected the cat from the airport, bought a car, managed to get myself to a Dr (twice) after contracting a terrible ear infection .. oh, and my favo(u)rite so far, found the drive-through Starbucks!

Everything will change again though as in 2 weeks we're moving out of our temporary accommodation into our new home, so I'll have to go through the process all over again.

Finding things very up and down - mostly doing ok, but a tad homesick right now and utterly exhausted. The move really took it out of me, and now, after a weekend in San Francisco (work related, so although lovely, not as relaxing as it would have been if just the 2 of us) I'm totally shattered.

Anyway, that's a bit about me! Just wanted to say hello!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from a new expat to Houston

Whereabouts in Houston are you?

There's several expats already there or on the way.

American Amy in Austin
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Whereabouts in Houston are you?

There's several expats already there or on the way.

American Amy in Austin
Hi there

At the moment we're near my husband's work in North Dairy Ashford, but we'll be moving to Cinco Ranch in Katy

I've heard Austin is especially beautiful and well worth a visit
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:22 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Hi there

At the moment we're near my husband's work in North Dairy Ashford, but we'll be moving to Cinco Ranch in Katy

Yes it's nice here and in the Hill Country.

I can't remember who it is that's in Katy/West Houston/Sugarland etc but I know there's at least one!

Where are you from in the UK?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yes it's nice here and in the Hill Country.

I can't remember who it is that's in Katy/West Houston/Sugarland etc but I know there's at least one!

Where are you from in the UK?
We're from the Home Counties - Buckinghamshire to be precise. Right in the Chiltern Hills which is a lovely area to live. Sorry, WAS a lovely area to live!

What about you? Where are you from and how long have you been here? What prompted your move to the States?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:42 am
Lapine Member

What about you? Where are you from and how long have you been here? What prompted your move to the States?
Well I was born here. I'm an Anglophile, so I know what the Home Counties are. I hope to live in the UK or elsewhere in Europe once my kids are grown. My (second) husband, who I met on this forum, is Dutch and has been here a bit over a year now (he'd visited before but arrived with his GC last April). There are a few others here who are not British but are expats from other countries or spouses of expats.

Obviously the Brits in Houston have the great good sense to be in bed at this hour!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably in their bunkers, bit on the radio today that mentioned Houston as a prime target for Islamics. Joint with NY and DC.

Also said that NY Realtors were advertising properties as being outside the contamination zone of a WMD attack on the City.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:16 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

hello and welcome to BE

hope you have kids or at best like kids, cinco ranch and katy are swarming with them
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:22 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Boiler
Probably in their bunkers, bit on the radio today that mentioned Houston as a prime target for Islamics. Joint with NY and DC.
Saw a bumper sticker on a car Sunday night:

"Why did God put our oil under their sand?"

(I think they were taking the piss!)

The Texas Gulf Coast has a huge amount of the refining capacity in the US. It'd be a natural target for anyone wanting to cause mayhem. OTOH Katy is a good ways inland from the Gulf.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

welcome
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Texas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really nice

Welcome to the Forum.

I currently reside in Sugar Land

Enjoy the hot weather at the moment. I hate it LOL
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:02 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. Sought out this forum as we moved over to Houston 2 weeks ago and I'm the 'trailing spouse' as the Expert Expatriate book kindly called me!

So far I've found the shops, collected the cat from the airport, bought a car, managed to get myself to a Dr (twice) after contracting a terrible ear infection .. oh, and my favo(u)rite so far, found the drive-through Starbucks!

Everything will change again though as in 2 weeks we're moving out of our temporary accommodation into our new home, so I'll have to go through the process all over again.

Finding things very up and down - mostly doing ok, but a tad homesick right now and utterly exhausted. The move really took it out of me, and now, after a weekend in San Francisco (work related, so although lovely, not as relaxing as it would have been if just the 2 of us) I'm totally shattered.

Anyway, that's a bit about me! Just wanted to say hello!
Hi and welcome to the site.

It's only natural to feel homesick as you get used to the culture shock and some days will be better than others, but that's what BE is here for. You will find someone to lean on for those bad days and someone to have a laugh with on those good days

Welcome, welcome.

Sue
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:37 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

ear infection ...I had to go back to distilled white vinegar to get ride of mine...worked in 24 hours...hope you are better now...
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Seem's a bit of a fab ole Houston don't it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.