British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hello from a new British Expat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hello-new-british-expat-874158/)

Rob106 Mar 11th 2016 7:23 pm

Hello from a new British Expat

Hello,

Just emigrated to Charlotte, NC from London.

Did a year out here as a student a few years ago, so not all completely new to me, but feels very different to be here permanently!

Big life decision, but you only live once!

Owen778 Mar 11th 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Hello from a new British Expat

Welcome to BE, Rob!

themadpooper Mar 11th 2016 7:46 pm

Welcome

When you get the inclination to explore, check out Charleston in South Carolina. Beautiful in places and some amazing history there. There's a very historic plantation there (Magnolia) I'd highly recommend paying a visit to

Here indefinitely or plan on returning home?

Nutek Mar 11th 2016 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rob106 (Post 11893033)
Hello,

Did a year out here as a student a few years ago, so not all completely new to me, but feels very different to be here permanently!

:wave:

Jerseygirl Mar 11th 2016 10:18 pm

Hello,

Welcome to BE. :wave:

We have quite a few members living in the Charlotte area. They usually hang out in the US forums...why don't you join us over there? Just follow the link below...

USA - British Expats

Pulaski Mar 13th 2016 1:18 am

Hi Rob, welcome to BE and to NC. :)

What brings you to Charlotte? :unsure:

petitefrancaise Mar 13th 2016 6:31 am

:welcome:

BE is a great resource and full of helpful folks..... tell us more about yourself!

Hanco Mar 13th 2016 1:27 pm

Hello,

Welcome Rob, from a Yorkshire expat in GA who has yet (to my shame) to visit Charleston and some of the beautiful areas there. This is a great forum for help and advice! :cool:

Rob106 Mar 13th 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks all.

My wife is originally from Charlotte, she'd survived 4 years in London with me, but was keen to move back, and both we agree there will be a better quality of life for us and our children here.

Harveyspecter Mar 14th 2016 8:55 am

Amen to that, We have the same attitude.

username.exe Mar 14th 2016 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rob106 (Post 11894324)
Thanks all.

My wife is originally from Charlotte, she'd survived 4 years in London with me, but was keen to move back, and both we agree there will be a better quality of life for us and our children here.

Welcome!

My wife and I have a similar story. SWMBO stuck it out for eight years; she's much happier to be back on this side of the pond now too. ;)

Harveyspecter Mar 15th 2016 8:04 am

You have to like that username. I'm pretty sure my better half will be too :)

T minus 2 days to my interview!

chesterton_fan Mar 16th 2016 12:50 pm

Hi! I'm moving to Charlotte with my American wife and children in Winter 2016/17, for largely the same reasons as you.

Roughly whereabouts in the city did you decide to settle? We're looking at Fort Mill, Huntersville and Gastonia. Amazing what you can get for your money compared to SE England.

I'm planning on working as a Business Analyst in finance/banking -- trying to garner details on that at the moment...

Rob106 Mar 19th 2016 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by chesterton_fan (Post 11897124)
Hi! I'm moving to Charlotte with my American wife and children in Winter 2016/17, for largely the same reasons as you.

Roughly whereabouts in the city did you decide to settle? We're looking at Fort Mill, Huntersville and Gastonia. Amazing what you can get for your money compared to SE England.

I'm planning on working as a Business Analyst in finance/banking -- trying to garner details on that at the moment...

We're in Mint Hill at the moment, but staying with the in-laws :unsure:

Waiting til I get a job and we work out where will be best.

My wife grew up in Huntersville, she liked it there.

Good luck with everything.

Pulaski Mar 20th 2016 12:20 am

Originally Posted by chesterton_fan (Post 11897124)
.... We're looking at Fort Mill, Huntersville and Gastonia. ....

Spot the odd one out. :blink: