Reload this Page >

Hello - moving to Albany

Wikiposts

Hello - moving to Albany

Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Red Den is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello - moving to Albany

Hello, I've been popping in a little over the last few weeks and have finally plucked up courage to register. I wanted to say 'hi'.

My husband's firm is relocating us to Albany probably between Christmas and New Year and we are currently in Albany house hunting, which hasn't been the easiest with a 3 year old and 8 year old - there's only so long they can bear being in the car!

We think we've narrowed the area to Clifton Park / Half Moon as we loved the area and have been told the Shenendehowa School Distict is very good. We are going to arrange some second viewings tomorrow / Friday.

I'm on a little emotional rollercoaster, but think today moved us a long way forward........

I just wondered if anyone had experience of these areas or general advice to offer over the obvious that we may have overlooked.....

Thanks x
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hello - moving to Albany

Hi! Welcome to the area!

Advice? Don't drive on the Northway at rush hour - it'll just drive you batty. Time it a half hour early or late, and your trip'll be half the time and much more conducive to retaining sanity.

Be careful about where you end up buying a house; land value and general environment can drop sharply in a relatively small space. Troy and Watervliet are perfect examples - some of it is a terrible dump, and some of it's really quite nice. Make certain you check out the area as best you can before finalizing something - being 5 blocks away from a nice area may not mean you're in a nice area, depending on where you are.

Shenendahowa schools *are* very good - they've consistently been at or near the top of the lists for the area for years. They'd be my first choice in your position.

Pay attention to events going on in Albany and Saratoga. There's some really great - and free - stuff. Albany in particular does free concerts in the plaza over the summer (though I guess that'd have to wait for next year...).

Hit the track at least once. I personally don't gamble as a rule, but it can actually be a fun day out.

Once you're actually here, take a look into day-trips or weekend trips other places in the state or nearby. Immediately springing to mind are Howe Caverns; the Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame (less of a thing for Expats, but still); and the Finger Lakes (with, in my probably biased opinion, the best wines in the country in countless little wineries).

If you've never gone skiing, give it a shot. There's plenty of ski slopes in the area, and it's a great pastime. You can frequently get rental/lift ticket/lesson packages for a really great price. It's not the same kind of snow you'll get somewhere like Colorado, but it works.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Den
Hello, I've been popping in a little over the last few weeks and have finally plucked up courage to register. I wanted to say 'hi'.

My husband's firm is relocating us to Albany probably between Christmas and New Year and we are currently in Albany house hunting, which hasn't been the easiest with a 3 year old and 8 year old - there's only so long they can bear being in the car!

We think we've narrowed the area to Clifton Park / Half Moon as we loved the area and have been told the Shenendehowa School Distict is very good. We are going to arrange some second viewings tomorrow / Friday.

I'm on a little emotional rollercoaster, but think today moved us a long way forward........

I just wondered if anyone had experience of these areas or general advice to offer over the obvious that we may have overlooked.....

Thanks x
Hi there...I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the site. We have a few members who live in your area...so hopefully they'll answer any questions you have.

Kaffy Mintcake is the concierge for the US Forums...so if you feel yourself getting a little lost amongst the many forums...please contact her and she will point you in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

Please yell out if you need help with anything.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Spirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really nice

Hi there,

My husband and I moved to the Albany area at the end of August due to like yourself, his company transferring him over. I take it you're coming over on L1/L2 Visa's. The Clifton Park area is really lovely, we have driven up that way a few times now, but like someone replied the Northway can get mega busy at rush hour. We are more to the east of Albany just the other side of the river.

I feel for you having to do this move with children, we don't have any and it was very stressful. But in other respects I think having children will also help you integrate better, as you will be doing school stuff, as your kids make friends so will you with the parents. I still don't have anyone to talk to here, can be lonely even though I try to go out and meet people. I think if you're the trailing spouse it can be harder to settle. I don't want to sound doom and gloom, just trying to be honest as to what it can be for some. But I think you'll be fine, like I said having kids will help with making links and becoming part of the community.

Any other questions, even if its small feel free to Message me, I found here there are a lot of similarities but many differences too. Have you been to the US before? I think that can help too, I never came here before I moved.

Good Luck.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spirrelbabe
My husband and I moved to the Albany area at the end of August
Welcome to you too, then.

East of the river... Castleton? East Greenbush?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

My husband and I moved to the Albany area at the end of August due to like yourself, his company transferring him over. I take it you're coming over on L1/L2 Visa's. The Clifton Park area is really lovely, we have driven up that way a few times now, but like someone replied the Northway can get mega busy at rush hour. We are more to the east of Albany just the other side of the river.

I feel for you having to do this move with children, we don't have any and it was very stressful. But in other respects I think having children will also help you integrate better, as you will be doing school stuff, as your kids make friends so will you with the parents. I still don't have anyone to talk to here, can be lonely even though I try to go out and meet people. I think if you're the trailing spouse it can be harder to settle. I don't want to sound doom and gloom, just trying to be honest as to what it can be for some. But I think you'll be fine, like I said having kids will help with making links and becoming part of the community.

Any other questions, even if its small feel free to Message me, I found here there are a lot of similarities but many differences too. Have you been to the US before? I think that can help too, I never came here before I moved.

Good Luck.
Hello there and welcome to BE. Why don't you open a new thread in this forum and introduce yourself? That way we get a chance to welcome you and help you find your way around the forums.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:18 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There is an Albany area relocation forum that is filled with advice on neighborhoods, schools, etc. With a look

http://www.city-data.com/forum/albany-area/
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neko128
Hi! Welcome to the area!

and the Finger Lakes (with, in my probably biased opinion, the best wines in the country in countless little wineries).

Absolutely right you are. We vacation at Seneca Lake each summer and love the wines.

Hi there,

We are more to the east of Albany just the other side of the river.

Good Luck.
LOL ... which river? Mohawk or Hudson?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Absolutely right you are. We vacation at Seneca Lake each summer and love the wines.
Are you familiar with Americana Vineyards? It's above Cayuga lake, NW of Ithaca. My favorite, but there are a bunch of other truly excellent ones out there...
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Spirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really nice

I forget there are two rivers, we live in North Greenbush/Rensselaer so east of the Hudson.

We arrived and had two weeks to find a place to live whilst living in a hotel, so we choose to be near my husbands work, so didn't get a chance to explore properly before settling. Its only afterwards we've explored and thought 'oh this would be a nice place to live' (clifton park, rexford, sand lake) not that there are many rentals in those areas.

Thank you for the welcome's.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi there...I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the site. We have a few members who live in your area...so hopefully they'll answer any questions you have.

Kaffy Mintcake is the concierge for the US Forums...so if you feel yourself getting a little lost amongst the many forums...please contact her and she will point you in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

Hi Jerseygirl - thanks so much - am home now in UK until December and can reply on a screen bigger than my smartphone! Although not entirely sure I am replying correctly - will see when I post it.

This forum seems such a frriendly and helpful one - thanks guys.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Neko128
Hi! Welcome to the area!

Advice? Don't drive on the Northway at rush hour - it'll just drive you batty. Time it a half hour early or late, and your trip'll be half the time and much more conducive to retaining sanity.

Be careful about where you end up buying a house; land value and general environment can drop sharply in a relatively small space. Troy and Watervliet are perfect examples - some of it is a terrible dump, and some of it's really quite nice. Make certain you check out the area as best you can before finalizing something - being 5 blocks away from a nice area may not mean you're in a nice area, depending on where you are.

Shenendahowa schools *are* very good - they've consistently been at or near the top of the lists for the area for years. They'd be my first choice in your position.

Pay attention to events going on in Albany and Saratoga. There's some really great - and free - stuff. Albany in particular does free concerts in the plaza over the summer (though I guess that'd have to wait for next year...).

Hit the track at least once. I personally don't gamble as a rule, but it can actually be a fun day out.

Once you're actually here, take a look into day-trips or weekend trips other places in the state or nearby. Immediately springing to mind are Howe Caverns; the Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame (less of a thing for Expats, but still); and the Finger Lakes (with, in my probably biased opinion, the best wines in the country in countless little wineries).

If you've never gone skiing, give it a shot. There's plenty of ski slopes in the area, and it's a great pastime. You can frequently get rental/lift ticket/lesson packages for a really great price. It's not the same kind of snow you'll get somewhere like Colorado, but it works.
Thanks Neko128 - am going to take your advice on the school front and then store all those other gems until we are here - it was nice to read something so positive so quickly, it had been a rocky kind of day!
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Thanks Jerseygirl - I thought I had replied already but then it vanished..... The forum seems such a friendly place, now I'm back in the UK I will be able to pop by more regularly!
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Hi there,

Good Luck.

Hi Spirrelbabe - thanks so much for your reply - sounds like you could use thhe company too! I'm back in the UK now, but out again for good from late December - perhaps a glass of wine / coffee would be in order then?

Meanwhile as soon as I work out how to message you I am sure I will because my head is spinning!

Take care x
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There is an Albany area relocation forum that is filled with advice on neighborhoods, schools, etc. With a look

http://www.city-data.com/forum/albany-area/
Fab website - many thanks x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.