British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hello from Brits in Japan! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hello-brits-japan-411661/)

Akuma Dec 4th 2006 2:35 am

Hello from Brits in Japan!

Hello! *waves*

Ok, I know it may seem a little odd that we're Brits in Japan posting on the USA forum but I can explain....honest!

Husband, son & I can to Japan (for a second time) 6 months ago for an 18 month contract (Husband's contract) but it looks like there is a possibility of the contract finishing sometime early in '07.

We don't want to go back to the UK so are now looking at other options such as USA, OZ, NZ & HK. Mainly the USA though as husband is an Engineer and he believes the opportunities may be better with regards to work. I'm not allowed to work here in Japan ( :D shame, shame!) so am technically a SAHM.

Husband has been to the USA quite a few times and he really likes it. I haven't been yet but that doesn't faze me (Lived in lots of European countries & now Japan twice) but rather sadly I don't know that much about America. I guess if I'm truthful - what I see on the telly about America frightens the pooh out of me :rolleyes: I know, what a muppet! I'm sure it's not really like the telly (always worst case!) so I'd love to know what it's REALLY like to be an Expat in the USA?

Anyway, I'm a Southerner (Sussex) and hubby is a Northerner (North Yorks) & we have a gorgeous 4 year old boy! We're in our mid 30's and we were living in County Durham before upping sticks to Japan.

So that's us in a nutshell! Perahaps you lovely people could point me in the right direction of any posts that have covered all the above issues before?

Thank you very much!

Akuma

Bob Dec 4th 2006 2:54 am

Re: Hello from Brits in Japan!

welcome to BE :)

As for experiences of the US, just read through a bunch of the threads about medical insurance, holiday time, making friends and you'll get some idea....but a lot of it will depend on if you have money when you come here or not as it will make a huge difference, as will the location and your package....as for education, that'll depend so much on the county your in as well as the state etc....some places are great, some places utterly poo.

If you can't get a company transfer to get here, on either L1a/b, that kind of leaves H1B, which you won't be able to get an employer to sponsor you for till next April, for a start date of next Oct....you as the spouse would get an H4, which means you won't be allowed to work again, but if you got the L1, you would be L2, and be allowed to apply for an EAD, which would allow you to work.

Akuma Dec 4th 2006 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Bob
welcome to BE :) that kind of leaves H1B, which you won't be able to get an employer to sponsor you for till next April, for a start date of next Oct....

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome. The H1b is the temp visa, isn't it? How come we'd have to wait until April to apply and not be able to work til Oct? It's seems really odd as for a temp visa!

If that is the case we may have to scrub USA off our list :( I think in OZ the 457 temp visa only takes about 2 months - the same as the visa we got for Japan.

Husband can't do a company transfer as it's a UK/Japan company and they may be closing it down.

Thanks again!

Akuma

Bob Dec 4th 2006 3:51 am

H1 is a dual intent visa, temporary because after x amount of years and extensions, you'd have to leave unless you get sponsored for the greencard by the employer, I think you get a max of 6 years, 7 if you apply for greencard, though I can't remember exactly, but that's why it's a temp visa...and the April application for Oct start, because there is a quota on the number of visa's, and they usually fill up pretty quickly, there's something like around 65K visa applications allowed each year, unless the employer is a university related company.

And the company transfer, doesn't have to be an american company, just have offices in the US.

Originally Posted by Akuma
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome. The H1b is the temp visa, isn't it? How come we'd have to wait until April to apply and not be able to work til Oct? It's seems really odd as for a temp visa!

If that is the case we may have to scrub USA off our list :( I think in OZ the 457 temp visa only takes about 2 months - the same as the visa we got for Japan.

Husband can't do a company transfer as it's a UK/Japan company and they may be closing it down.

Thanks again!

Akuma

Akuma Dec 4th 2006 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Bob
H1 is a dual intent visa, temporary because after x amount of years and extensions, you'd have to leave unless you get sponsored for the greencard by the employer, I think you get a max of 6 years, 7 if you apply for greencard, though I can't remember exactly, but that's why it's a temp visa...and the April application for Oct start, because there is a quota on the number of visa's, and they usually fill up pretty quickly, there's something like around 65K visa applications allowed each year, unless the employer is a university related company.

And the company transfer, doesn't have to be an american company, just have offices in the US.

Thank you for the clarification!

Unfortunately Husbands company doen't have any offices in the US so it's ruled that option out.

Ho hum! I guess if his job hangs together long enough October would be ok as thats when the Japan contract finishes.

Thanks for your help though, it's given me plenty to think about

:)

anabella Dec 4th 2006 3:25 pm

Thank you for the clarification!

Unfortunately Husbands company doen't have any offices in the US so it's ruled that option out.

Ho hum! I guess if his job hangs together long enough October would be ok as thats when the Japan contract finishes.

Thanks for your help though, it's given me plenty to think about

:)

Welcome to BE and good luck with whatever you decide to do.. :beer:

Irn-bru Dec 4th 2006 7:47 pm

Hello and welcome :)
All the best in your decision making.
America is so vast with different cultures etc within it.
So my only advice is come and visit the part where you think you might like to live. Even if you don't decide to live here you should take the opportunity to visit it, loads of interesting things to do.

Partystar Dec 5th 2006 2:56 pm

Welcome to BE! :)

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Akuma Dec 6th 2006 10:12 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome folks :)

Husband actually applied for a job last night with a UK agency who are looking for Engineers to go to the US! Interviews are taking place in Feb for the job to start in autumn 07. Suits us fine if this contract hangs together long enough :rolleyes:

The jobs in Detroit, Husband has spent a bit of time there before so he sort of knows the place. If off to find out all I can about Detroit in all the other areas of this forum!

Fingers crossed for us!!

Thanks again

Akuma

NC Penguin Dec 6th 2006 11:13 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome folks :)

Husband actually applied for a job last night with a UK agency who are looking for Engineers to go to the US! Interviews are taking place in Feb for the job to start in autumn 07. Suits us fine if this contract hangs together long enough :rolleyes:

The jobs in Detroit, Husband has spent a bit of time there before so he sort of knows the place. If off to find out all I can about Detroit in all the other areas of this forum!

Fingers crossed for us!!

Thanks again

Akuma

Welcome to BE! I hope you like cold, cold winters 'cos that's what it's like in Detroit during that season.

NC Penguin

Bob Dec 7th 2006 12:23 am

Good luck with it :)

But Detroit? :D

Akuma Dec 7th 2006 2:58 am

I know, lets just say Detroit wasn't first on the list of places to live ;) Surely though, there must be some nice (ish) areas?! Detroit is #2 on the 'List' isn't it? :rolleyes: I think the company is in Plymouth - I don't know if that's good or bad though?

The cold thing does bother me but last year in the N.E UK we had Minus 7 deg C regularly. Now we happen to be living on the N.W. coast of Japan which is known for it's harsh winters! Last year in the hills they had 15 foot + of snow :eek: I've just looked on MSN weather though....the average minimum temp in Jan for Detroit in Minus 9 deg C with an all time record of minus 29 deg C in 1994 :scared: Just as well our 4 year old loves the snow.

Still, Husband has got to get the job yet!;)

Jerseygirl Dec 7th 2006 3:02 am

I know, lets just say Detroit wasn't first on the list of places to live ;) Surely though, there must be some nice (ish) areas?! Detroit is #2 on the 'List' isn't it? :rolleyes: I think the company is in Plymouth - I don't know if that's good or bad though?

The cold thing does bother me but last year in the N.E UK we had Minus 7 deg C regularly. Now we happen to be living on the N.W. coast of Japan which is known for it's harsh winters! Last year in the hills they had 15 foot + of snow :eek: I've just looked on MSN weather though....the average minimum temp in Jan for Detroit in Minus 9 deg C with an all time record of minus 29 deg C in 1994 :scared: Just as well our 4 year old loves the snow.

Still, Husband has got to get the job yet!;)

Hello and welcome to BE.