Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hello again. posties wife with a question!!

hello again. posties wife with a question!!

Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello again. posties wife with a question!!

Originally Posted by postie
Hi everyone. Haven't been on here for ages. This is a quick update. We're still in England and have had NO luck with our immigration to the USA. The embassy turned down my wifes application for citizenship. Said that because she had had no contact with her father for 40 years, then there was no proof of a relationship. (Dad was moved back to USA before my wife was born and all contact with her mother was lost (they were not married, so wife was 'born out of wedlock)
Lawyer said that my job search wasn't much good because I'm only a mechanic (for 31 years!)
So, if anyone has any ideas, let me know!
Postie
Yes I thought it a bit odd when I noticed that the thread began in 2003!

The only thing I can think of is if one of you trains to be a registered nurse (automatic green card....nurses don't come in on H1 visas any more). Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists are also in short supply in the US. Just like the UK, they are having to import nurses to work in the US.

The NHS pays for all the tuition fees and I think it takes about three academic years(?) but I think you normally need a couple of years post-qualification experience before you would be granted a visa.

It would also mean you could move to Australia or New Zealand easily too.....

Here are some interesting links:

http://www.statesidenursing.co.uk/nurses/greencard.htm

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/florid...cgi?board=Nurs

Another way to move to the US is to buy a business (as many Brits seem to be doing in Florida.....but I believe it will not lead to permanent residency....anyway you will get more info here:

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/florid...ex.cgi#general

(I understand that 'Ray' who posts here is a moderator on the xsorbit board).

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 10th 2004 at 9:21 pm.