British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hello-317962/)

ionaskye Aug 3rd 2005 11:16 pm

hello

Ho I am new here and gald to find this .I have lived in the us for twenty years and love to read what you all think about it.
So if i can ever help answer questions I will be gald to...

Wintersong Aug 3rd 2005 11:18 pm

Re: hello

Originally Posted by ionaskye
Ho I am new here and gald to find this .I have lived in the us for twenty years and love to read what you all think about it.
So if i can ever help answer questions I will be gald to...

Hi there :)

Welcome to the forum. Watch out for the piranhas... their bite is worse than their bark. Or something. :confused:

ionaskye Aug 3rd 2005 11:20 pm

thanks I still not quite sure how to use this yet but i will get better as I get used to it.

Wintersong Aug 3rd 2005 11:22 pm

thanks I still not quite sure how to use this yet but i will get better as I get used to it.

It's fairly straight forward but if you have any problems, post a query - there are loads of people on here who are only too happy to help out :)

Are you an expat Brit? What brought you over to the USA?

ionaskye Aug 3rd 2005 11:28 pm

I got married in 1984 my hubby was in the merchant navy,lost his job I had just came out of teacher training couldn't find a job so we came over here. I have two children , my daughter is at Uni and my son is in the Us army.
I go back to Scotland twice a year .I just came back last week ,I was there for 6 weeks and loved it . I have always felt torn between the two counntries

Wintersong Aug 3rd 2005 11:29 pm

I got married in 1984 my hubby was in the merchant navy,lost his job I had just came out of teacher training couldn't find a job so we came over here. I have two children , my daughter is at Uni and my son is in the Us army.
I go back to Scotland twice a year .I just came back last week ,I was there for 6 weeks and loved it . I have always felt torn between the two counntries

So have you been teaching over here?

I assumed from the name that you were Scottish :D

ionaskye Aug 3rd 2005 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
So have you been teaching over here?

I assumed from the name that you were Scottish :D

I taught 1st grade for years ,but i now have my own private montessori school and have children age 3yrs to 6yrs

Wintersong Aug 3rd 2005 11:39 pm

I taught 1st grade for years ,but i now have my own private montessori school and have children age 3yrs to 6yrs

Oh wow! Congrats - it must have taken a huge amount of work to get it up and running. I bet you get loads of job satisfaction though :)

Bob Aug 4th 2005 12:55 am

welcome to the forum :)

speaking of teaching, someone in another thread was asking about it...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=1#post2653339

maybe you have more insight you could help with?

Wintersong Aug 4th 2005 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Bob

Lol Bob - the girl in question is only 15 at the moment. I'm fairly sure that if she moves over with her family she'll be able to go the usual American route to getting a teaching qualification :)

ionaskye Aug 4th 2005 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Bob

Yes what ever she wants to know , I have brought up two children here and it is very diffrent , also I went back to school because my diploma wasen't enough .The education system is very diffrent and if i can answer questions i will be glad to help " even with a 15yr old"

snowbunny Aug 4th 2005 2:17 am

Hello Iona!

If you'd like to share what part of Scotland you are from, and where you live in the US, you may find some old and new neighbours.

Some of my ancestors were from Ayrshire. I'm Texan born and bred but feel very much at home in the UK. I hope to live there someday and would love to live in the UK in the summer and Texas in winter! ;)

Amy

ionaskye Aug 4th 2005 2:20 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Hello Iona!

If you'd like to share what part of Scotland you are from, and where you live in the US, you may find some old and new neighbours.

Some of my ancestors were from Ayrshire. I'm Texan born and bred but feel very much at home in the UK. I hope to live there someday and would love to live in the UK in the summer and Texas in winter! ;)

Amy

I have a sister in Kilmarnock that is in ayrshire at the moment I am living in houston tx

snowbunny Aug 4th 2005 2:37 am

I have a sister in Kilmarnock that is in ayrshire at the moment I am living in houston tx

cool! several of us in TX, some in Houston even :)

CA!!!!! look for Celtic Angel, she's Welsh. :)

Bob Aug 4th 2005 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Lol Bob - the girl in question is only 15 at the moment. I'm fairly sure that if she moves over with her family she'll be able to go the usual American route to getting a teaching qualification :)

aye, true...but teaching quals do vary state by state....plus if help with the transfer of gcse's into whatever it's called here is pretty handy info for people... :)