British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Heinz Beans .... Cheap ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/heinz-beans-cheap-574858/)

Patrick Hasler Nov 24th 2008 2:43 am

Heinz Beans .... Cheap !

'Price rite' chain of supermarkets is selling them at the amazingly low price of 2 cans for a dollar :thumbsup:

E17Avenue Nov 24th 2008 3:00 am

Re: Heinz Beans .... Cheap !

Add on the cost of a drive to eastern Pennsylvania, and suddenly Meijer sounds cheap.

:blink:

Lord Lionheart Nov 24th 2008 3:18 am

If only you had some real English chips made from English potatoes and real English eggs. You could make the ultimate signature English haute cuisine dish of chips, eggs and beans :rolleyes:

scrubbedexpat097 Nov 24th 2008 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 7002850)
If only you had some real English chips made from English potatoes and real English eggs. You could make the ultimate signature English haute cuisine dish of chips, eggs and beans :rolleyes:

He would probably like it better if he could have an English sausage as well;)

Lord Lionheart Nov 24th 2008 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 7002854)
He would probably like it better if he could have an English sausage as well;)

Bangers and mash is just too complicated to make at home apparently :lol:
What about white starched Mother's Pride bread, American bread just doesn't taste right with the famous beans on toast :rolleyes:

scrubbedexpat097 Nov 24th 2008 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 7002860)
What about white starched Mother's Pride bread, American bread just doesn't taste right with the famous beans on toast :rolleyes:

I blame the toasters.:sneaky:

They toast the American way instead of the good old Brit way when it would be burnt to a crisp so you have to scrape the blackened char off with a knife. Wonderful:thumbup:

Ingurland Nov 24th 2008 3:33 am

I always buy a loaf or Italian or French stick and use that for my beans on toast.

2 tins for a dollar. That's *nice! They're almost $2 per tin, here.

Lord Lionheart Nov 24th 2008 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Ingurland (Post 7002880)
I always buy a loaf or Italian or French stick and use that for my beans on toast.

2 tins for a dollar. That's *nice! They're almost $2 per tin, here.

Never tried beans on an Italian, don't you get a lot of hair on the beans especially if they have a moustache. A French stick sounds a bit tough to chew, probably good for the RDA of fiber though

BlightyBoy Nov 24th 2008 6:08 pm

The Heinz Vegetarian beans are pretty much like the british ones. Maybe a touch sweeter but not much.

TN-Dave Nov 25th 2008 1:58 am

vegetarian beans ?isn't that an oxymoron or whatever it is when two words mean the same thing...? othnerwise the beans would be made from meat ?

Folinskyinla Nov 25th 2008 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 7002860)

Hi:

Ever eat at Tom Bergin's on Fairfax? Had bangers & mash there the other night -- an English dish but at least from the British Isles.

Its the only place I've been in LA that reminds me of visits to the UK -- and predates ME. The bar area can be a tad boisterous at times, but the back dining area is cozy.

http://www.tombergins.com/

Folinskyinla Nov 25th 2008 2:32 am

Originally Posted by TN-Dave (Post 7006218)
vegetarian beans ?isn't that an oxymoron or whatever it is when two words mean the same thing...? othnerwise the beans would be made from meat ?

Hi:

Not really -- the American standard is "pork n beans" -- so the vegetarian means no pork. In other words, it is no more an oxymoron than vegetarian split pea soup -- no ham hocks to be seen.

Lord Lionheart Nov 25th 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 7006303)
Hi:

Ever eat at Tom Bergin's on Fairfax? Had bangers & mash there the other night -- an English dish but at least from the British Isles.

Its the only place I've been in LA that reminds me of visits to the UK -- and predates ME. The bar area can be a tad boisterous at times, but the back dining area is cozy.

http://www.tombergins.com/

I live in Santa Monica. I can walk to Ye Olde King's Head. To be honest I've been here so long I don't crave British food, apart from the odd candy or baked goods.