British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Heinz Beans! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/heinz-beans-715591/)

Kaffy Mintcake May 4th 2011 3:31 am

Heinz Beans!

Okay, I need the Brits to weigh in!

Long story short, on April 29th (when the royal wedding took place), we had my parents in to visit and decided to wake up early, cook a fry-up and enjoy the festivities.

Our breakfast included coffee (sorry, guys), eggs, Irish bangers, tomato, toast and Heinz beans.

At one point we had a bit of a blow-out when I was encouraging my mother to try the beans with her breakfast and my father exclaimed that they were the most vile thing ever! (Apparently he has bad childhood memories of being forced to eat something similar. My husband and I like them!)

He works at a visitor's center in a tourist town in the US and has since asked each British tourist he's met their opinion of Heinz beans. Apparently they have ALL agreed with him that they are terrible, and that our barbecued variety is infinitely better.

I find that hard to believe, or I'm just plain stubborn.

So ... what do you think? Are they vile? Yummy? Couldn't you care less?

Cheers,
Kaffy

Ash UK/US May 4th 2011 3:46 am

Re: Heinz Beans!

I prefer Heinz (or Branston) beans to the US ones, my american hubby says there is no diffrence to the US 'pork & beans' (other than the pork of course), I think he is lost his taste buds on that one :p

Also while we are on the subject is it a local thing around here or common everywhere that most yanks eat their beans cold *gag*

MsElui May 4th 2011 3:54 am

US beans are vile, heinz are the food of the gods :)

SultanOfSwing May 4th 2011 4:00 am

Heinz beans. Toast. HP Sauce. Bliss :)

AmerLisa May 4th 2011 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 9341909)
I prefer Heinz (or Branston) beans to the US ones, my american hubby says there is no diffrence to the US 'pork & beans' (other than the pork of course), I think he is lost his taste buds on that one :p

Also while we are on the subject is it a local thing around here or common everywhere that most yanks eat their beans cold *gag*

:confused:

Mummy in the foothills May 4th 2011 4:22 am

He has lost his taste buds, no way are they the same. But at a pinch I will pick out the blob of fat and add a big dose of ketchup stir and cook and eat pork and beans. Heinz or Branston here too :thumbup:
Oh and the BBQ in the US and Curry beans in UK are the most foul things I ever tasted

Bob May 4th 2011 4:26 am

They're lovely, for beans on toast....but it isn't the end of the world not having them, or eating other beans.

They're still the nicest for breakfast and a fry up though....but just not worth what they cost down my way.

Bob May 4th 2011 4:28 am

Cold bean sarnie is popular up in Maine...and that is gross.

Ash UK/US May 4th 2011 4:55 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9341920)
:confused:

That is how I see beans commonly eaten here, cold, usually as a side to a BBQ etc. They are even sold that way, prepacked on the deli at Meijer.

Ash UK/US May 4th 2011 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9341939)
Cold bean sarnie is popular up in Maine...and that is gross.

As I said on the post above, they eat them as a side dish here and I agree GROSS!

tonrob May 4th 2011 6:59 am

I find US-style BB inedible of course, but I also find Heinz the worst of the bunch from the UK due to their sickly sweet aftertaste. Much prefer Branston beans, or some supermarket own-brands for that matter.

Brucky May 4th 2011 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 9341888)
At one point we had a bit of a blow-out

:rofl:

MrEmjoy May 4th 2011 12:44 pm

I like, Heinz with a splash of HP. Heinz with grated cheddar cheese and HP, Heinz with Tabasco and on their own.

katybluewater May 4th 2011 1:01 pm

Jacket potato, Heinz baked beans and grated cheese mmmmm:)

nethead May 4th 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9342117)
I find US-style BB inedible of course, but I also find Heinz the worst of the bunch from the UK due to their sickly sweet aftertaste. Much prefer Branston beans, or some supermarket own-brands for that matter.

I concur with sprout boy, but prefer Tesco own brand beans over Heinz, Heinz are too sweet for me.