Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heinz baked beans!

Heinz baked beans!

Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:42 am
Just Joined

AshleyandBarry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heinz baked beans!

When I lived in Kentucky, there were lots of Krogers, but no Signatures from what I remember...and no beans either, but then again, I wouldn't have been looking for them.

And it seems to be the pretty general consensus that the vegetarian beans are not the same as the regular ones, so whoever it was that started a thread on here before saying they were EXACTLY THE SAME is meeeeeeean.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:43 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AshleyandBarry
Adobe, do you really think we don't read the ingredients on every single product we buy? Two or three times? lol

Blighty, you know your stuff! I do agree, American stuff is FAR too strong a lot of the time...salt salt salt salt salt...I can't even eat Wheat Thins without scraping off 3/4 of the salt!

Amen on the crackers. I love Jacobs CC with cheese but have not been able to find any crackers here that are not salty. I recently gave some Jacobs to an American friend who really liked them. They said in the American crackers there is so much salt it takes away from the taste of anything you put on it. Now I have to hide them when they come over. lololol
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:41 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
Amen on the crackers. I love Jacobs CC with cheese but have not been able to find any crackers here that are not salty. I recently gave some Jacobs to an American friend who really liked them. They said in the American crackers there is so much salt it takes away from the taste of anything you put on it. Now I have to hide them when they come over. lololol
I know that feeling! I have to hide all my English stuff too because my American friends have developed a taste for some of the things.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 4:40 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark and I just recently discovered (British) Heinz Baked Beans at World Market for $1.79 each (plus tax).

It was so hysterical, because we were walking through the foods section aimlessly, just talking about whatever, when we both spotted the beans at the same time, and in perfect synchronicity both abruptly stopped in our tracks, pointed at them and exclaimed *GASP!!* "HEINZ BAKES BEANS!!!"

The only problem with World Market is that they change their merchandise quite a bit, so while the beans were there last week, they may not be there now. Mark thought I was crazy by insisting we buy four cans but now is happy that we didn't just stop at the two he thought would be sufficient! (I don't eat beans so they're all his!)

We have several Krogers nearby, but we never shop there. Don't know what the difference is between Krogers and Krogers Signature, but we'll have a look.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 9th 2005, 4:43 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

On a slight tangent (but in the same aisle), a cheaper alternative than forking out $2.59 or so for a wee can of Heinz Tomato Soup is to go to GFS (Gordon Food Service ) and buy a big concentrated tin for about the same price. You just add water (don't add milk as the directions suggest) and it tastes the same but at a fraction of the price.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

gloria is an unknown quantity at this point

Yesterday on the way back from a weekend away we stopped at a place called the British Connection in Smithville, NJ. Never been there before but they had a pretty good selection of crips/chocolate/sauces/tinned goods and other stuff. They even sell Walkers beef and onion crisps....well they did until I took them all. Heaven.

They also sell frozen food like pies/bacon and real sausages. Their baked beans are $1.99 a tin which is about the same as we pay at Wegmans.

Definitely made my weekend though.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:07 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
JeeZ ..I knew 2 people lived there ..but did not realize it was you two.
Go down and too the left a bit into Wyoming ..Candy and hubby are the two living in Wyoming...

oi there are 5 brits living in wyoming. and I have heinz baked beans.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 8:19 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AshleyandBarry
I have a question for everyone, well, at least for the Heinz baked beans lovers, which all of you should be. I'm American, married to a Brit, we live in the States at the moment, and have FINALLY tracked down a store that carries the beans, but, they're called "Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans" here, and since Vegetarian isn't in the title in the UK, I'm just wondering if they're the same. Anyone here who has ever compared the two? Thank you!

-Ashley
I wouldn't trust them!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 8:23 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

QUOTE=HoosierDaddy]On a slight tangent (but in the same aisle), a cheaper alternative than forking out $2.59 or so for a wee can of Heinz Tomato Soup is to go to GFS (Gordon Food Service ) and buy a big concentrated tin for about the same price. You just add water (don't add milk as the directions suggest) and it tastes the same but at a fraction of the price.[/QUOTE]

I don't bloody think so!!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:11 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
QUOTE=HoosierDaddy]On a slight tangent (but in the same aisle), a cheaper alternative than forking out $2.59 or so for a wee can of Heinz Tomato Soup is to go to GFS (Gordon Food Service ) and buy a big concentrated tin for about the same price. You just add water (don't add milk as the directions suggest) and it tastes the same but at a fraction of the price.

I don't bloody think so!! [/QUOTE]

...and you're entitled to your opinion.
Maybe you're not making it correctly?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kroger = King Stupids here, but I have never seen any English goods, will have a closer look next time.

Also Loaf n Jug.

PS I have been to S Dakota, so close yet so far. N Dakota = Fargo?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:27 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
The only problem with World Market is that they change their merchandise quite a bit, so while the beans were there last week, they may not be there now. Mark thought I was crazy by insisting we buy four cans but now is happy that we didn't just stop at the two he thought would be sufficient! (I don't eat beans so they're all his!)
Our World Market has them quite consistently. If you want to pay less, try checking out a local Asian or Indian market of some kind. You might be pleasantly surprised at the other stuff they carry too....
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:31 am
Just Joined

AshleyandBarry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Boiler
Kroger = King Stupids here, but I have never seen any English goods, will have a closer look next time.

Also Loaf n Jug.

PS I have been to S Dakota, so close yet so far. N Dakota = Fargo?

ND=Fargo, well done! My husband, Mr. "I grew up an hour away from London" loves Fargo, it's actually a really really nice place, very pretty residential areas, bit of variety(for here anyway)....NOT like the movie. And SD sucks by the way.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:21 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
...We have several Krogers nearby, but we never shop there. Don't know what the difference is between Krogers and Krogers Signature, but we'll have a look...
As far as I can see the only three differences between a standard Kroger and a Kroger Signature are:

1) The store says "Signature" in handwriting-styled lettering on the store front.

2) They're in higher-income areas than standard Krogers (you see, the class system back home had some uses - they're actually in middle-class areas, but everyone in the US above the poverty line thinks they're middle class! )

3) Kroger Signature stores have a British Isle (or is that British Isles isle?).

Oh, and the Kroger website makes no mention of signature stores, and lists all our local stores as just Kroger Texas, so they're no help at all!

...and you can order "hard to find foods" from their site, but there's isn't a single Brit item listed!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:11 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Oh, and [at] the Kroger website ... you can order "hard to find foods" from their site, but there's isn't a single Brit item listed!
I took a look at it, and there ARE some English food items -- not many, but there are some.

From the Home page...

1) On the left-hand side, click the "Special Order" tab
2) Choose "International"
3) Then, from the left-hand side, choose "English" and/or "Scottish"
4) Then, again from the left-hand side, choose a category under "Store Aisle" (beverages, crackers, etc.)

Still, no British Heinz Baked Beans...

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.