British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Heinz baked beans! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/heinz-baked-beans-318836/)

AshleyandBarry Aug 8th 2005 8:16 pm

Heinz baked beans!

I have a question for everyone, well, at least for the Heinz baked beans lovers, which all of you should be. I'm American, married to a Brit, we live in the States at the moment, and have FINALLY tracked down a store that carries the beans, but, they're called "Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans" here, and since Vegetarian isn't in the title in the UK, I'm just wondering if they're the same. :confused: :confused: :confused: Anyone here who has ever compared the two? Thank you!

-Ashley

AshleyandBarry Aug 8th 2005 8:22 pm

Re: Heinz baked beans!

Oh, well, yes, now that I've discovered there was already a post very similar to this, I have my answer. They ARE the same. Thaaaaaaaaank god.

peacelover Aug 8th 2005 9:43 pm

I don't agree that they are the same, they are similiar but defo not the same, they are much too sweet because they have honey in or just too much sugar.

tony126 Aug 8th 2005 9:53 pm

I certainly would have not thought them to be the same. Vegetarian does not appear on the 3 tins I bought recently @ $1.79ea.

Ray Aug 8th 2005 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by peacelover
I don't agree that they are the same, they are similiar but defo not the same, they are much too sweet because they have honey in or just too much sugar.

Your right ..they are similar....but not the same ....

franc111s Aug 8th 2005 10:00 pm

Similar but definately NOT the same. Just sweet and the juice is thicker.

In Atlanta, we have a Harris Farmers Market and a local Indian Shop. REAL Heinz beans here cost about $1.20 if you buy a pack of 24 (case) at a time. Our shelves are full of Heinz beans - the real ones - yummy. They get massive shipments in and always have about 50 cases on hand in the store.

AshleyandBarry Aug 8th 2005 10:12 pm

Nooooooooooooo, they're not the same???? And they have honey in them? That sucks, we can't even eat them then, cause we're both vegan. Damn it damn it damn it. Now we're gonna have to stick with paying like $30 just to SHIP 20 cans.

nathan barley Aug 8th 2005 10:58 pm

They're similar - the cloest US Heinz equivalent you'll find. They're labelled as vegetarian because they don't have huge hulking chunks of bacon fat in them.

Because you know, anyone who doesn't like bacon in their beans is a leaf eating hippy communist!

mvjenno Aug 8th 2005 11:59 pm

Hubby has approved an acceptable substitute for when we run out of Heniz baked beans...Showboat Pork & Beans...altho not much help if you're veggie/vegan :o

paddingtongreen Aug 9th 2005 12:46 am

I don't understand, those beans are awful. I'll bet you eat them on toasted plastic bread.

I'm frightened to ask this, but do you prefer tinned spaghetti or fresh cooked with a real marinara or putanesca sauce?

dbj1000 Aug 9th 2005 1:10 am

For those of you with a Kroger Signature store near you, they have real Heinz Baked Beans in their British section for around $1.25 per can...

...along with Jaffa Cakes, Penguins, Maltesers, Walnut Whips, Typhoo teabags, Tilda Basmati Rice (oh, what bliss!) and much, much more including some real oddities like Pears soap.

Yum!

gruffbrown Aug 9th 2005 1:42 am

Originally Posted by AshleyandBarry
I have a question for everyone, well, at least for the Heinz baked beans lovers, which all of you should be. I'm American, married to a Brit, we live in the States at the moment, and have FINALLY tracked down a store that carries the beans, but, they're called "Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans" here, and since Vegetarian isn't in the title in the UK, I'm just wondering if they're the same. :confused: :confused: :confused: Anyone here who has ever compared the two? Thank you!

-Ashley

$1.65 a tin and they have Walkers crisps.....

www.britishdelights.com

http://www.britishdelights.com/images/hz1.jpg

Triumphrob Aug 9th 2005 2:11 am

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I don't understand, those beans are awful. I'll bet you eat them on toasted plastic bread.

I'm frightened to ask this, but do you prefer tinned spaghetti or fresh cooked with a real marinara or putanesca sauce?

Please dont be a wanker

gruffbrown Aug 9th 2005 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Please dont be a wanker

He was having a culinary snob moment....

krizzy Aug 9th 2005 2:48 am

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen

Is the second a TV dinner..... :confused: