Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heathrow car hire

Heathrow car hire

Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heathrow car hire

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The last few times I have rented a car from Alamo/Enterprises at Manchester Airport...I've found them to be the cheapest.
That is who we used last time too, they were by far the cheapest esp considering we had an additional driver. We had booked a Astra automatic but when we got there we were upgraded to an Insigina auto with all the bells and whistles (build in sat nav/dvd etc), also it was a diesel which really helped on fuel costs.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
That is who we used last time too, they were by far the cheapest esp considering we had an additional driver. We had booked a Astra automatic but when we got there we were upgraded to an Insigina auto with all the bells and whistles (build in sat nav/dvd etc), also it was a diesel which really helped on fuel costs.
I asked for a diesel when I went to collect my car last week. I was lucky because auto diesels are few and far between at Manchester airport...there will probably be more availability at the London area airports.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

I found a really good LHR fly + drive combo when I booked through British Airways last year, got the car (complete with all necessary insurance) for around $240 for 9 days, picked it up and dropped off at LHR.

Avis was good...no complaints with them.

Not sure how good the deals are now, I booked this early/mid 2009 and as I recall the pound had taken an unusual nose dive. Still worth checking out.

Also, www.kayak.com is pretty good.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

I've previously booked cheaply through www.easycar.com (although that was about a year ago). I've recently discovered http://www.carhire3000.com - the prices look good, but has anyone experienced them? Both these websites are just for the booking - one of the big companies (Avis, Europcar, Thrifty etc) handle the rental at the airport. I also used to know someone who managed Europcar rentals at Heathrow and she assured me that they do not actually have any "economy" cars, so always book an economy car, and you will always get upgraded to the next level of car for free!

Recently I needed to hire a car from Atlanta airport - stupidly I booked the car directly on Thrifty's website. When I got to the airport, they wanted to stick about $700 extra for insurance on! If I'd have used someone like http://www.carhire3000.com, the insurance (with zero excess) would apparently be all part of the charge with nowt to pay at the airport. I'm proposing to use them for my next USA trip in April and will post results here! I emailed them asking if "Your rental includes Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Protection with zero excess" really means what I think it means, and they assured me it did. It all sounds too good to be true to me.

I just checked them and to hire a Ford Ka (or similar) for a week from Heathrow would be £114.87 including all the insurance and stuff (but with insurance excess of about £600). Don't know how this compares to other quotes. And no, I don't work for the company...for all I know they could be completely crap!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

...and what's the deal with USA car hire websites and USA airline sites? They keep the "extras" and "taxes" hidden until the very last moment, when suddenly that $200 flight balloons into a $600 monster! Or that cheapo $150 Geo Metro inflates into a Lamborghini-priced $800 behemoth! rant, rant, etc. etc. etc........
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Fawny is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looked at Avis, 9 days, Free extra driver due to being a member of BA executive club, Ford Focus , no CDW, $420.
Going to check out the others mentioned. Thax everyone
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
Recently I needed to hire a car from Atlanta airport - stupidly I booked the car directly on Thrifty's website. When I got to the airport, they wanted to stick about $700 extra for insurance on!
Personal car insurance in the US usally covers you when you rent a car.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fawny
Just looked at Avis, 9 days, Free extra driver due to being a member of BA executive club, Ford Focus , no CDW, $420.
Going to check out the others mentioned. Thax everyone
when are you looking to book?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Fawny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Arrive 4th April till 13th April. Just gonna get a focus as there is only 3 of us going up to Newmarket.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:14 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I asked for a diesel when I went to collect my car last week. I was lucky because auto diesels are few and far between at Manchester airport...there will probably be more availability at the London area airports.
That is another point -- can the person drive stick-shift? When renting out of Heathrow, I rent an automatic -- it is hard enough driving on the left side of road from the right side of the car -- I do not care to add shifting with the "wrong" hand. [I understand American Expat women in the UK who drive stick are easy to spot -- the manicure on the right hand is ruined].

In countries with left-hand drive cars, I always rent a stick. So, in Berlin, we got upgraded to the TDI with a stick.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
That is another point -- can the person drive stick-shift? When renting out of Heathrow, I rent an automatic -- it is hard enough driving on the left side of road from the right side of the car -- I do not care to add shifting with the "wrong" hand. [I understand American Expat women in the UK who drive stick are easy to spot -- the manicure on the right hand is ruined].

In countries with left-hand drive cars, I always rent a stick. So, in Berlin, we got upgraded to the TDI with a stick.
Some of us drive automatics or stick shift...on the left or right hand side of the road.

No advice given or intended...if you're involved in a RTA it is not my problem.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fawny
Thanks, I will check my BA Chase card to see if I'm covered. I just didn't want any hidden extras when we got there.
I am assuming you get BA miles on your card, if so check out Avis as you will earn miles with them also, sign up for there preferred account and you will get extra miles for that also, plus some other bonuses.

mick
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

flagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud of

My husband used Avis at LHR when he went back a few months ago. I think he booked through our insurance agency (USAA).
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:55 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Personal car insurance in the US usally covers you when you rent a car.
are you sure about this?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember the name of the site where my husband booked our car from, but it was an American site, and you paid in dollars. Basically it searched for the cheapest car-hire for your dates, but didn't tell you who you were going with.

We ended up with Hertz, and got a fantastic deal. I'll ask him when he gets home.

Insurance is always covered with our AMEX card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.