Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heathrow car hire

Heathrow car hire

Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Fawny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heathrow car hire

Anyone recommend a good company with reasonable rates. Need full insurance and extra driver. Thax
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:14 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Heathrow car hire

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=car+rental+heathrow
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Try Enterprise. I rented a Mini-Van from them, at the end of November.

Jim.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fawny
Anyone recommend a good company with reasonable rates. Need full insurance and extra driver. Thax
I just got back last thursday, although I did not get my rental at Heathrow, we used Alamo. It cost £177 for a nine day rental and included an extra driver. We did not take any insurance as rental companies are required to provide 3rd party insurance and the rest was covered by Visa (US Visa credit cards have coverage for car rentals).
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Enterprise were by far the cheapest for me but be careful, their insurance is VERY expensive as there is a £700 excess to pay if you dont take the excess cover. (They didnt tell me that until I picked the car up!)
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I will check my BA Chase card to see if I'm covered. I just didn't want any hidden extras when we got there.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Kayak.com http://www.kayak.com is a good comparison site. I tend to use Hertz (probably not the cheapest) as they always seem to be very well organized and they once gave us an Audi A3 as an "economy" car.

If your credit card doesn't cover the CDW insurance, Travelguard sell insurance for $7 / $9 a day, which is less than the 20ish quid per day from the rental companies...
Old Mar 10th 2010, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Just checked with Chase and my card covers the CDW and theft on car hire.
Thanks for all your help.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Enterprise were by far the cheapest for me but be careful, their insurance is VERY expensive as there is a £700 excess to pay if you dont take the excess cover. (They didnt tell me that until I picked the car up!)
You can buy insurance for the excess (from a third party company not the the rental company) the trip before last I think I paid £27 one off payment.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I also heard that American Express offer some really good car rental insurance too.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I also heard that American Express offer some really good car rental insurance too.
Yes I had the Amex anyway with my card, but it's bad that they dont point it out, especially as I rang and asked them
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Try Auto Europe. They are an agency and try to get you the cheapest deals from various rental agencies. The car we were given came from EuropCar. We haven't used them for Heathrow, but did use them when we travelled to another part of Europe.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

porvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really nice

I always use Hertz. They are well organised, tend to give pretty good car models and if you have are in the Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer programme you get bonus airmiles.

Doubt they are the cheapest but I bet all the "on airport" hire car companies are more or less the same.

Porvera
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fawny
If the person is coming from the US, a car can be reserved from the US via www.kemwel.com or www.autoeurope.com. [Note -- they use the same software and therefore look similar]. I have had good experience with them and the prices can't be beat. The downside is that you have to pay in advance. Once you do that, you get a voucher -- last time in Heathrow, we ended up with a Renault Laguna from Alamo. From the Berlin Hauptbanhoff, we ended with a Skoda Octavia wagon [akin to a VW Jetta wagon to US folks] and they upgraded us for free to a TDI engine. [Note, driving into the former eastern bloc complicates the rentals a bit].

On the extra driver, both Alamo and National included spouses. Last month, Alamo at EWR included us two and we paid extra for our 29-year old. On full insurance, check out the credit card you use -- my AmEx did NOT include full insurance, but the US Bank Visa did.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 10th 2010 at 5:42 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The last few times I have rented a car from Alamo/Enterprises at Manchester Airport...I've found them to be the cheapest. If you have an AMEX card for about $24 each time you rent a car all insurance will be covered by them.

Rental car companies always seem to scare you into buying their insurance. Last week Enterprise tried to tell me that my AMEX card would not cover me for theft or tyre damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.