Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Airport- Hand Luggage.

Heathrow Airport- Hand Luggage.

Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:19 am
Dan Marsden

Muqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to all
Default Re: Heathrow Airport- Hand Luggage.

1 bag is easier to check verses 2 bags
On the contrary, it is much more difficult because you would end up with larger bags and more bags-within-bags. That's if it makes any difference, because most bags are not checked by hand, they just go through the machine. But since you assume it has to do with security issues, let us say they are actually hand-checked. Can you tell me which of the following is easier to check:

Case #1:

Two carry-ons, one being an empty laptop bag (laptop removed and put in separate tray) and the other a half-full backpack (including external hard drive, camera, ipod, adapters, etc.)

Case #2:

Laptop bag in which I put my external hard drive, camera, adapters, etc., which in turn is placed in the backpack which also contains other items. Plus, a laptop that is placed in a separate tray.

If the backpack is to be hand-checked, it will take at least 10 minutes (and create lots of mess and traffic) to remove the bag from inside the bag and empty the contents of the second bag, check them one by one, and put them back in.

Whereas for case #1, the laptop bag is empty, the second bag has all the stuff neatly placed in it, that can be removed very quickly, checked, and put neatly back in the bag, and you're ready to go.

no but they have changed since the last time I flew... so very much worth checking on.
Or maybe worth avoiding UK airports altogether, unless it is one's final destination !

This is why one should check first
No, this is why airlines should enforce the rules of the destination airport. In fact, airlines should enforce their rules, period. And according to Virgin Atlantic, only upper class fliers are allowed two items of hand baggage. If airlines do not enforce their own rules, why/how should/can they expect that passengers respect them? And you will end up with hundreds of thousands of people being stuck in the middle of goddamn nowhere because they were not as smart as you to check up on the rules of every single airport they would be setting foot in and every single airline they will be flying with on that particular occasion. I would not have minded going and buying a hand luggage at the U.S airport, or re-arranging my stuff at check-in. But I was not told anything. That is the whole point. YOU are not understanding the point, not the other way around. And as I said, I had flown through Heathrow in July before my latest flight and I did not have a problem having two hand baggages, nor did I line-up an hour in advance of boarding, nor did I take up all the space in the carry-on cabin.

Last edited by Muqawim; Sep 18th 2007 at 11:34 am.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muqawim
No, this is why airlines should enforce the rules of the destination airport. In fact, airlines should enforce their rules, period. And according to Virgin Atlantic, only upper class fliers are allowed two items of hand baggage. If airlines do not enforce their own rules, why/how should/can they expect that passengers respect them?
Anyone flying out of or transiting a UK airport is restricted to just one item of hand luggage, "period". This is a Department for Transport rule and it will override anything imposed (or relaxed) by the airline. You can see it at http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo...rportsecurity/. If you took two bags with you through Heathrow recently then that highlights a failure on the part of the security people.

People should take on board what they need and will use for the flight and nothing else. If someone will need so much stuff for a flight of, say, ten hours (that being London-Phoenix which I usually take), that it will only fit in two bags then they should ask themselves "do I REALLY need all this?". I fit my laptop, camera, external drive, book, newspaper and mp3 player into a backpack. Of those I only use the book, newspaper and mp3 player during the flight and the laptop, camera and drive are with me as I don't want them to be thrown around. Everything else is checked and I can't see why other people are unable to do the same.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Anyone flying out of or transiting a UK airport is restricted to just one item of hand luggage, "period". This is a Department for Transport rule and it will override anything imposed (or relaxed) by the airline. You can see it at http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo...rportsecurity/. If you took two bags with you through Heathrow recently then that highlights a failure on the part of the security people.

People should take on board what they need and will use for the flight and nothing else. If someone will need so much stuff for a flight of, say, ten hours (that being London-Phoenix which I usually take), that it will only fit in two bags then they should ask themselves "do I REALLY need all this?". I fit my laptop, camera, external drive, book, newspaper and mp3 player into a backpack. Of those I only use the book, newspaper and mp3 player during the flight and the laptop, camera and drive are with me as I don't want them to be thrown around. Everything else is checked and I can't see why other people are unable to do the same.
I roughly take the same on board with me...mainly because a can't stand hauling a heavy bag around the airport and on and off the plane.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I roughly take the same on board with me...mainly because a can't stand hauling a heavy bag around the airport and on and off the plane.
Yep, and lugging it around the already crowded airport and trying to squeeze into a toilet cubicle with it (if you're on your own). Airports are bad enough without adding to the misery by dragging a big bag around.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:17 pm
Dan Marsden

Muqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to allMuqawim is a name known to all

Anyone flying out of or transiting a UK airport is restricted to just one item of hand luggage, "period".
No, I believe I can set that 'period' by choosing which airport to fly through from now on !

People should take on board what they need and will use for the flight and nothing else.
Says who? I would not need anything other than my ticket and passport on the flight, and I take my laptop and electronics with me not because I need them (I really DO hate carrying all that stuff for 5 hrs at the airport!) but because I have no other choice. I have previously packed such items in my regular luggage (and I have packed it very carefully so that it would not break), and I have gotten back broken stuff upon arrival at the destination. So I carry my valuables (electronics in my case!) in my carry-on! It can't be much simpler. An airport or a department for transport that determines which valuables I am supposed to pack in my regular luggage and which I can take on board 'only if I need it', is not an airport worth flying through. Yes, I suppose it WAS a security failure that I was allowed to go through with 2 bags. But this failure shows, precisely, that this rule is not about security at all. It has been devised by people who have some sort of complex and want to feel unique -- at the expense of billions of pounds worth of money that could be flowing into British economy. But apparently no one gives a damn about that these days! Instead, people seem to care about having to put their baggage 3 rows behind their seat. How about you also make sure that your luggage is actually stored right underneath your seat, too? And remember, if people are only supposed to take only what they need on the flight, then most people would not have that problem as they would not need to carry all those big carry-ons, and would instead carry a simple purse which can even fit under the seat. But suppose you have a point, then what is next -- the department for transport will come up with a reduction in the weight of regular luggage, saying that people should take 'only the stuff they need during their trip'? Now that would be fantastic, wouldn't it? "Sir, you seem to have packed more than you would need for your stay in Boston." Maybe you can even come up with a list of items that are deemed 'necessary' and therefore 'allowed' (depending on which city you are flying to), and items that are deemed a 'luxury' and therefore disallowed.

You fit your laptop, camera, and external hard drive into a backpack? How is that possible, unless you are carrying an ultra-thin, probably 12" laptop? (Mine is 15" and quite old and therfore 'thick'), and my external hard drive is not really one of the smallest, portable ones available on the market. At any rate, I do not think you are making any sense with your 'take only what you need' argument. If I am moving from one country to another and need to take those valuables with me, let us say I have a SLR camera with several lenses, and a laptop, external hard drive, etc., then you are suggesting I should be putting all that in my luggage ? Well, we are going in circles. I still do not see a good argument for it. How on earth does it provide better security? When I had two bags, I had to go through more security checks. All my items were inspected one by one, and I had to go through another security check at the gate, was even asked to turn on my camera, remove my laptop battery, etc. I did not mind it one bit. But on the 2nd occasion I flew through Heathrow, aside from being given a hell of a time for having mistakenly carried two bags, I did not have to undergo any security checks whatsoever, lord knows I could have taken a bomb through that place successfully if I had wanted to. SO MUCH for security. Do you see my point now? They are wasting our time, your time, passengers' time, and people's money, for something that is of no significance, instead of focusing on the real issues.

Last edited by Muqawim; Sep 18th 2007 at 4:26 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

You fit your laptop, camera, and external hard drive into a backpack? How is that possible, unless you are carrying an ultra-thin, probably 12" laptop? (Mine is 15" and quite old and therfore 'thick'), and my external hard drive is not really one of the smallest, portable ones available on the market.
I have a laptop with a 15.4" screen which I carry in a padded neoprene sleeve. My drive is quite large (it's a couple of years old) and my camera is not a particularly fancy one. If I were carrying a "proper" camera with different lenses then yes I'd want to take it all with me. When I travel with my musical instrument there is no way I would check it (I believe the UK permits an exception to the 1 bag rule for this). The professional travelling with the tools of their trade is the person who will need two carryon bags - the family of four going to Florida on holiday do not. Enforcing a difference between the two is practically impossible on an official level, so it is up to the individual traveller to police themselves when it comes to carryon luggage.

For what it's worth, I actually agree with you! It makes no sense for the UK to have such punitive restrictions while the rest of the world does not. Just as the restriction on the amount of fluid you can take with you will have no impact on overall security. I think it's because national governments feel compelled to respond to contemporary situations, lest they be accused of doing nothing. So we have ridiculous restrictions on how much water you can take, reminiscent of Monty Python, and confusion over how many bags you can take depending on where you're flying to/from, all resulting from knee-jerk reactions by politicians with no comprehension of science.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:23 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, and lugging it around the already crowded airport and trying to squeeze into a toilet cubicle with it (if you're on your own). Airports are bad enough without adding to the misery by dragging a big bag around.
Well if a US Senator can ALLEGEDLY! attempt to fit two people in an airport public bog cubicle you should have no problem with a bag!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:34 pm
Dan Marsden

Originally Posted by Titchski
Well if a US Senator can ALLEGEDLY! attempt to fit two people in an airport public bog cubicle you should have no problem with a bag!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

i was working a flight from minniapolis to Washington DC yesterday, full flight and i lie not, that no one had a pot plant under their arm was a wonder. I stood there with my gob open at some of them. Little old lady could hardly bloody walk but 4 carry ons ... she was not the exception. Flight half full of passengers and all bins full. I told this guy he was not going to put his luggage up in the bins but fit it under the seat in front of him. he scowled, but got it under.... It messes it up for the rest who just dont have even room for the one piece they are allowed. It delayed the flight by 30 minutes finding places to stow the stuff and the ongoing flight was also delayed getting this lot off with their luggage and camels!!! bloody damn annoying.

God did want to piss me off yesterday, get off the plane and then on the way to the layover hotel we had a traffic accident... on the way to the hospital after we got rear ended... All i wanted to do was go see the white house!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way I'm going to check my bag unless I'm on vacation. The thought of my checked bag not making a connection, and having to meet clients in the clothes I wore the day before... and then perhaps the day before that......... No, definitely not worth the stress - I'll keep my bag where I can see it.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:25 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Some people really take the piss with their carry-on. Basically mini (or not so mini) suitcases with what I would consider reasonable carry-on strapped to the side of it.
Can't believe the airlines tolerate it to be honest.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

I flew from LGW to ATL last week on BA. I had my Laptop bag and back-pack, both of which I took on the plain as carry-on.

BA's website even said that I was allowed 2 when I was doing the on-line check-in...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh - and flying into ATL, you can understand why people don't want to check stuff in... You have to wait an hour to get through immigration, then you have to wait for your bags to get off the plain. You then have to pick up your bags and put them on another conveyor belt. Then you have to go through security. Then you have to travel to the other side of the airport - which takes ages, then you have to wait the 1/2 hour or so for your bags to appear on the conveyor belt in the arrivals hall...

Take it on the plain with you and you'll save about an hour...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

But apparently no one gives a damn about that these days! Instead, people seem to care about having to put their baggage 3 rows behind their seat. How about you also make sure that your luggage is actually stored right underneath your seat, too?
I assume this was directed at me, just for the record- my luggage would not fit under the seat (and before you get on your high horse about that it does not exceed the airlines limits) we tried to fit it under the seat infront of my daughter but because it protruded a little it was blocking a possible escape. The seat I had as with all aisle seats in the center rows on the that flight had one of those computer boxes under the seat in front of me. And yes I did have an issue with not having my bag at hand, as the majority of the items were my daughters diapers, snacks, toys etc. I was trying to avoid having one of those 'annoying children' you were whining about earlier.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:07 am
Just Joined

karenhutchison12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I am travelling from New York to Brussels via London Heathrow and want to buy some whiskey after the security checks in the US. It seems as though I am not going to be able to get this through the transfer security check at Heathrow, Is this correct ?
Thanks for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.