Heaters

Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heaters

Originally Posted by Rete
Now I'm all confused. I thought when you moved to Mass you and OH moved into a building complex with a swimming pool, etc. Now it is a Victorian house/apartment. If you heat with oil do you have a separate tank for your heating oil or does the entire house share one tank and the bill is split proportionately?
complex with pool? I wish *lol*...naaa...we looked at a few of those scary places, but went with something that wasn't a shoe box in size for the same money.

And the house, it's got two oil tanks, one for us and another for the folks below.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You live in a duplex not an apartment.
whatever, it's a flat

Anyway, we've got the huge space, the family below, well they've got the nice appointments...as the owners use to live there, till get had more kids and it was a tad small, but looks fab compared to our place, not that it's to shabby either *l*
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
whatever, it's a flat

Anyway, we've got the huge space, the family below, well they've got the nice appointments...as the owners use to live there, till get had more kids and it was a tad small, but looks fab compared to our place, not that it's to shabby either *l*

Can't you persuade him to turn his heat up...that way it will warm your place up too.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:16 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
who do you use for the electric?

Not that I've a choice, but we dont' get charged much for electricity usuage, but the cost of supplying it is stupidly high....averaged about $70-100 a month...ouch *lol*
I'll dig out a bill and have a look...my bills were $125 a month without AC...now they are $80...the only thing thats changed is the carrier...
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can't you persuade him to turn his heat up...that way it will warm your place up too.
he has got it up....we just ain't getting much of it *lol*
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
he has got it up....we just ain't getting much of it *lol*
Have to put a grate in the floor for the warm air to raise. My friend installed a pelt stove in MA three years ago and it does quite a good job in heating the basement live-in area and the first floor once they put in some ducts. As lowered her oil heating bill to 1-1/2 tanks per winter instead of the 3 tanks she use to use.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:42 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
whatever, it's a flat

How are the windows, are they the old wooden rickety type, you lose a lot of heat through them if they are.

You can buy cheap temporary plastic that seals old windows, I cant remember the name of it but it's like cling film but a lot stronger, it comes in a kit and you simply tape it around the frame, then you take a hair dryer to it and it shrinks. As it shrinks it stretches out to point you can hardly see it is there. After winter you just pull it off and bin it.

Call it a poor mans double glazing, I have used it and it was very effective.

It may not be the heater that's your problem, it might be the house itself.

EDIT:

Just found it on Amazon. $17 will do 5 windows.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Company-214.../dp/B00002NCJI

Last edited by Rodney you plonker; Oct 28th 2006 at 3:05 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
Have to put a grate in the floor for the warm air to raise. My friend installed a pelt stove in MA three years ago and it does quite a good job in heating the basement live-in area and the first floor once they put in some ducts. As lowered her oil heating bill to 1-1/2 tanks per winter instead of the 3 tanks she use to use.
would be nice, but I doubt that's a go-er with the landlord *l*
Old Oct 28th 2006, 4:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Aye, old sash windows, right shite they are, gone and taped them up with insulation, and have thickish curtains all over the place.

That shrink wrap stuff, I've seen it around, which works alright, but it's a mare to get off the windows, well around in maine it was, went crackly and you couldn't get it off the windows, so a bit reluctant to try it again around here, it not being our gaff *l*

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
How are the windows, are they the old wooden rickety type, you lose a lot of heat through them if they are.

You can buy cheap temporary plastic that seals old windows, I cant remember the name of it but it's like cling film but a lot stronger, it comes in a kit and you simply tape it around the frame, then you take a hair dryer to it and it shrinks. As it shrinks it stretches out to point you can hardly see it is there. After winter you just pull it off and bin it.

EDIT:

Old Oct 29th 2006, 1:58 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker

EDIT:

We use it to cover the hole in the wall we have between the living room and kitchen/dinning room...why they cut holes in walls over here I'll never know...I think its so you don't feel left out while you cook or something like that...
Old Oct 29th 2006, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
would be nice, but I doubt that's a go-er with the landlord *l*
I was going to say, I reckon he probably wouldn't be too impressed if you starting sawing holes in the floor!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, old sash windows, right shite they are, gone and taped them up with insulation, and have thickish curtains all over the place.

That shrink wrap stuff, I've seen it around, which works alright, but it's a mare to get off the windows, well around in maine it was, went crackly and you couldn't get it off the windows, so a bit reluctant to try it again around here, it not being our gaff *l*
I know you rent so it's not your choice but we had new thermoglaze windows fitted all round last year and it cut our fuel bill by vazt amounts.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I know you rent so it's not your choice but we had new thermoglaze windows fitted all round last year and it cut our fuel bill by vazt amounts.
how much were those a window? I might try put it to the landlord, worth a try, he's got to come by anyway as the plumbing has decided to die in the kitchen...but our place has abour 20 windows *lol*
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
..... , but if anyone has any ideas, would be great to know.
Electricity costs more than gas, so unless you are using a small heater for a (very) confimed space - just to keep, say, a small room cozy, you are just going to trade a high gas/ oil bill for a higher electricity bill.

Personally I'd recommend spending whatever you have to "invest" in buying a thicker duvet/ comforter, and wearing a woolly jumper and warm slippers in an evening.

Mrs P used to be skeptical, and when we first got married wanted the heating cranked up at night, but, after a little "discussion" she agreed to try letting the temperature fall overnight (currently to around 56ºF) and she has discovered that, just as I said, she sleeps a lot better in a cool room, under a thick duvet and blanket to keep warm, than she did in a warm one.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Aye, we've got the sheets going and all that, but the heat has to be on all the time or the pipes will go, though I'm thinking of keeping it pretty low all the same, and it's an oil furnace, so not cheap to run really...and yeah, I know the electric will go up, but I'm thinking it'll still be cheaper to have a small one heat the living room while we're in it up, and perhaps the bedroom for a couple hours than have to have the whole apartment heated up to a comfy temp, or at all for that matter.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used a nice small space heater, most of the fan jobbies, with either ceramic or quartz style elements are either really flimsy looking, loud, or take a lot of juice to run, so can't be cheap...this Eden Pure seems pretty good, the in-laws really like it as it doesn't dry the place out, and uses' the moisture in the air to heat the room up fully and quickly so they only run it for a little bit to warm the place up and seem to love it, but not got the electric bill yet so don't know how much it costs to run....but then they also have a wood stove which is always on, the joys of getting free wood...and then they have a propane tanked heater to heat a couple of the other rooms.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Electricity costs more than gas, so unless you are using a small heater for a (very) confimed space - just to keep, say, a small room cozy, you are just going to trade a high gas/ oil bill for a higher electricity bill.

Personally I'd recommend spending whatever you have to "invest" in buying a thicker duvet/ comforter, and wearing a woolly jumper and warm slippers in an evening.

Mrs P used to be skeptical, and when we first got married wanted the heating cranked up at night, but, after a little "discussion" she agreed to try letting the temperature fall overnight (currently to around 56ºF) and she has discovered that, just as I said, she sleeps a lot better in a cool room, under a thick duvet and blanket to keep warm, than she did in a warm one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.