Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heat/sun of the US vs. rain of the U.K.?

Heat/sun of the US vs. rain of the U.K.?

Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heat/sun of the US vs. rain of the U.K.?

we've had 90+ since about mid may and probably will have until late Sept... I love it... oh and we have an outside pool too, we make great use of it almost every day.

andy
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:07 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woodsey
...I can't believe there aren't more places geared for entertaining your kids inside other than places such as Chuckee Cheeses, back home we have places with fabulous indoor climbing frames, ball pools etc, especially for younger kids...
I noticed that too - my kids always loved going to places like that. They used to love running themselves ragged and they were popular venues for birthday parties.

This is the only place I've lived where there's been nothing like that.

I've thought, for a long time, what a great business opportunity that's being missed out on over here.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 3:26 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say I didn't imagine not being able to go out in the summer here, taking my son to the park has to be done before 10 am otherwise the swings are too hot for him to sit in, same with the slide.. What is nice though, is to be able to plan things without worrying about whether or not its going to piss it down as is what happened many times when I was back in England just. Being able to drive to the beach at weekends here is wonderful, had a lovely day yesterday at the beach which is always cooler than inland, certainly beats Scarborough. Last time I went there in August it was bloody freezing.
I do have the luxury of a pool in my back yard which beats going to the swings anyway although its nice to actually leave the house on the odd occasion too. Many moms here seem to just take their kids to the mall just for something to do in the summer, I can't believe there aren't more places geared for entertaining your kids inside other than places such as Chuckee Cheeses, back home we have places with fabulous indoor climbing frames, ball pools etc, especially for younger kids, my son loved them on rainy days, something like that would be perfect here for the hot summers.
One thing I do miss here and love about the UK is the light nights, by 8.30 its pitch black, back home we could get light evenings until 10.30 at least.
I was expecting to be able to say it was nice here having a mild winter but all it did was piss it down for 6 months so we didn't do much then either.
Raging waters might be a good idea, those girls would probably like it and there is some sections for little kids too;

http://www.ragingwaters.com/index.cfm

I think it's close to you??
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:33 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Good things about the UK weather:

1) Winter mornings, when the sky is clear and there's frost on the ground and you go for a walk in the woods with all the leaves crunching under your feet.

2) Spring days when snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils are just starting to poke up, trees are getting their blossom and the bird song every morning is incredible.

3) Hot summer days when people immediately put on their shorts and tiny tops and head to the park or seaside to enjoy the sunshine because it might be the only chance they get this year, then come back home in the evening bright red.

4) The autumn, with the sudden chill in the air and the leaves all different colours.

5) Unexpected snowfall which is wonderful to watch through your window, then you go running out into the garden to disturb the virgin snow and make snow angels. It's great until the country grinds to a halt and the whole lot turns to ice, then slush.

6) Wondering whether it's going to be a white Christmas or not.

7) Actually having proper seasons, marked by different flora and significantly different weather patterns.

8) The most incredible rainbows I have ever seen.

9) Days that make you feel totally alive and lost in the wonder of nature, like the New Year's Day when I was in Aberdeen and walked down to work at the beach, crested a rise and was so gobsmacked with the view that I just stood there and watched it for a good 10 minutes. It had snowed during the night and the snow on the beach, with the waves lapping up to it and the sun just rising over the horizon was a truly amazing sight.

10) Long summer days, when you come out of the cinema at 10.30pm and it's still light.

Good things about the California weather:

1) Predictable sunny, hot summers where you can organise a BBQ or trip to the beach in the certainty that the weather will be good.

2) Dry climate with low humidity.

3) You can use your outdoor pool even in March.

That's about it. On balance, I think I'd rather have the variety of the UK than the sunny summers over here.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:45 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Good things about the UK weather:

1) Winter mornings, when the sky is clear and there's frost on the ground and you go for a walk in the woods with all the leaves crunching under your feet.

2) Spring days when snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils are just starting to poke up, trees are getting their blossom and the bird song every morning is incredible.

3) Hot summer days when people immediately put on their shorts and tiny tops and head to the park or seaside to enjoy the sunshine because it might be the only chance they get this year, then come back home in the evening bright red.

4) The autumn, with the sudden chill in the air and the leaves all different colours.

5) Unexpected snowfall which is wonderful to watch through your window, then you go running out into the garden to disturb the virgin snow and make snow angels. It's great until the country grinds to a halt and the whole lot turns to ice, then slush.

6) Wondering whether it's going to be a white Christmas or not.

7) Actually having proper seasons, marked by different flora and significantly different weather patterns.

8) The most incredible rainbows I have ever seen.

9) Days that make you feel totally alive and lost in the wonder of nature, like the New Year's Day when I was in Aberdeen and walked down to work at the beach, crested a rise and was so gobsmacked with the view that I just stood there and watched it for a good 10 minutes. It had snowed during the night and the snow on the beach, with the waves lapping up to it and the sun just rising over the horizon was a truly amazing sight.

10) Long summer days, when you come out of the cinema at 10.30pm and it's still light.

Good things about the California weather:

1) Predictable sunny, hot summers where you can organise a BBQ or trip to the beach in the certainty that the weather will be good.

2) Dry climate with low humidity.

3) You can use your outdoor pool even in March.

That's about it. On balance, I think I'd rather have the variety of the UK than the sunny summers over here.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things ..............
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:57 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things ..............
My wonderful, idealistic, rose tinted post ruined by random sarcasm. Ruined, I tell you.

I'm not talking to you no more
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Claire dlv is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in North Carolina where it's hot and steamy for months in the summer - and don't mention the mosquitoes. We can never have dinner outside because we get eaten alive. And when it rains its a torrential downpour and we get flooding. One thing I do like though is our neighbourhood outdoor pool so the kids can swim every day (except of course when there's a threat of thunderstorms which is almost every day at the moment).

I do miss the long hours of daylight in the U.K. summers (I'm from Edinburgh originally).

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm interested to hear from those of you who live in an area of the US that gets HOT (e.g., 90 degrees plus) for several months over the summer.

Several times while my brother was out here on holiday (5 weeks), he has commented "well, it's better than British rain" whenever a comment was made about the heat. For most of his visit it's been the usual unpleasantly hot, humid summer you get in the Southeast of the US.

I personally prefer to put up with occasional (well, OK, maybe more than "occasional") rain in the UK in exchange for summer days where you can stay out for longer than 10 minutes at a time without sweating buckets.

I (again, personally) think that many Brits have an unrealistic view about sunny days in much of the US. I can't stand the endless weeks of uncomfortable heat, especially because I spend several hours a week riding my bike in it.

Bottom line for me is what's the use of "lovely" sunny days if you have to spend them cooped up inside in the air con?

What about those of you who live in Florida? Arizona? Texas? Do you prefer US summers to UK summers?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wintersong
My wonderful, idealistic, rose tinted post ruined by random sarcasm. Ruined, I tell you.

I'm not talking to you no more
My life hasn't been a pointless waste after all
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
I noticed that too - my kids always loved going to places like that. They used to love running themselves ragged and they were popular venues for birthday parties.

This is the only place I've lived where there's been nothing like that.

I've thought, for a long time, what a great business opportunity that's being missed out on over here.
must admit I've thought about looking into the cost of all the equipment, I'm guessing though that the insurance costs might be the thing that puts people off..
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:52 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

must admit I've thought about looking into the cost of all the equipment, I'm guessing though that the insurance costs might be the thing that puts people off..
There are more places like this in northern states where long winters are common. Discovery Zone is one, though the one location they had in Austin has shut down. I was sorry to see it go.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:52 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by lionheart
My life hasn't been a pointless waste after all
Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:02 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

That was my thinking too.

A good start would probably be to find a large empty warehouse and take it from there.