Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

heartworm medication online?

heartworm medication online?

Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heartworm medication online?

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
Yes, but where do I get them? Dog has a tick on him NOW!!!
I buy them from my vet, but I would imagine a pet store would sell them.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

I just spoke to the vet, $120 for an emergency visit. She said to have another go...
Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I just spoke to the vet, $120 for an emergency visit. She said to have another go...
I'm not sure where you are, so I just googled for pet stores in New York, and here's one that stocks a tick remover hook - http://www.petco.com/shop/searchresu...emover&x=0&y=0

Maybe there is a branch near to you and you can get a hook sorted out which will make getting the tick out nice and easy.

Last edited by rebs; Jul 15th 2012 at 4:25 pm. Reason: more haste - less speed!
Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:41 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Walmart and the like sell them too.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Pinch the area around it up with thumb and forefinger, so that you have it firm and can't drag on him (that sounds harsh, but hopefully you understand what I mean -- support the flesh around the tick), and use your tweezers. You'll have to be firm -- but if you say he only just arrived, it can't be that well embedded. Then dab with alcohol or some kind of antiseptic.

PS Make sure it really is a tick! It may sound elementary, but a customer of my veterinary hospital got so tick crazed that they thought a male dog had a tick in the nether regions and attempted to rip off a nipple . . .

Last edited by Nutmegger; Jul 15th 2012 at 5:04 pm. Reason: Add PS
Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Walmart and the like sell them too.
Aye, the big super walmarts definitely would....Target as well.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but where do I get them? Dog has a tick on him NOW!!!
My local apothecary/chemist sells similar devices that remove ticks. You can probably get something similar from Walmare/KMart/Target/PetCo etc.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

oh no! this might not be a tick. i've been reading and i've realized it's too pink.

poor dog
Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

this is it, any thoughts?
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It is really apparent that something is embedded into the flesh? It couldn't be some kind of fatty external growth?
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It is really apparent that something is embedded into the flesh? It couldn't be some kind of fatty external growth?
I just spoke to my husband in UK. Apparently vet saw it when the dog was checked before the flight, it's just a skin growth!!

Panic over, now I feel bad for the dog although he didn't seem too bothered about what I was doing, more curious as to why I was fiddling with his nether regions
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

I just spoke to my husband in UK. Apparently vet saw it when the dog was checked before the flight, it's just a skin growth!!

Panic over, now I feel bad for the dog although he didn't seem too bothered about what I was doing, more curious as to why I was fiddling with his nether regions
What a relief! That's what I thought the pic you posted looked like: a skin tag! But back to heartworm, I really do suggest that you get your dog checked and tested by a US vet, so he can not only create a baseline on his status, but also recommend other necessities of US dog life -- such as the Lyme shots I mentioned earlier.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

We have 4 dogs, and live in a heart worm area.

There are good reasons for testing the dog yearly for heart worm, and getting the heart worm from reputable sources.

A test to make sure the dog is free of heart worm is important because giving the dog the heart worm medication while it is already infected can create problems of its own - result = big vet bill. If it is already infected, that can be dealt with appropriately.

Dying from heart worm is a particularly nasty way to go.

Another reason for regular (yearly) testing is to make sure the preventative medication is working as it should.

Our 4 dogs are incredibly important to us, it's one reason we brought them to the US with us. I don't recall the heart worm test being expensive, and neither is the medication. We don't mind paying an extra $4-5 to know the preventative medication is from a reputable source. We pay about $24 for 6 tablets. A tablet lasts 30 days.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:33 am
Just Joined

InKorea is an unknown quantity at this point

My local petco offers low cost heart worm tests, as well as pet vaccines on certain Saturdays of every month. I believe they charge $18 dollars for a heart worm test. Also where I live, there is a low cost chain of vets known as value vet and it offers vaccines etc are really competitive prices. Check around and see if there is something similar in your area.