British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hearing Tests (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hearing-tests-925380/)

lansbury May 30th 2019 5:40 pm

Hearing Tests

Had my annual check up yesterday and was recommended to see an audiologist. My insurance is for one company who contract with 3rd party local providers, who seem to make their living selling hearing aids. Which doesn’t inspire much confidence in the impartiality of their testing.

Is there some impartial professional body that one can get reviews of providers from, or some way to avoid being scammed into buying the expensive and maybe unnecessary aids.

Rete May 30th 2019 6:02 pm

Re: Hearing Tests

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12691374)
Had my annual check up yesterday and was recommended to see an audiologist. My insurance is for one company who contract with 3rd party local providers, who seem to make their living selling hearing aids. Which doesn’t inspire much confidence in the impartiality of their testing.

Is there some impartial professional body that one can get reviews of providers from, or some way to avoid being scammed into buying the expensive and maybe unnecessary aids.

Any audiologist that I've used for the last 43 years has been in an office that also dispenses (sells HAs). They don't try to scam you into buying expense and/or unnecessary HAs. The results of your test will show what your needs are, if any. Hubby just had his first hearing test done two weeks ago and yes, while he would benefit from an aid, the decision is his as to whether or not he gets one. He worked with aircraft for 36 years in the RCAF which has damaged his hearing.

We use the Hearing and Speech Division of the University of Southern Mississippi. In fact, Jennifer took two of my Endeavor aids and is working with Starkey to get the software needed to reprogram them for Hubby with no cost for us. However, if you are so concerned that the profession is rife with scammers, then make an appointment with an Eye, Ear and Throat Doctor who does not sell HAs but will do the hearing test.

Your insurance should cover the cost of the doctor and the test, particularly if your primary doctor has recommended that you be tested.

BTW, I have never had healthcare that covered hearing aids so count yourself fortunate.

lansbury May 30th 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks for the advice Rete. I called the provider my insurance uses and then called Costco. Even with the discount through my insurance Costco were about 25% cheaper. I use the optical department at Costco and have been very satisfied with the quality for the cost, so decided to make an appointment at the local Costco hearing center. Added bonus the hearing test is free.

petitefrancaise May 30th 2019 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12691374)

Have you asked Mrs L if she thinks you have a hearing problem??:rofl::rofl:

lansbury May 30th 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12691423)
Have you asked Mrs L if she thinks you have a hearing problem??:rofl::rofl:

I didn't have to ask, she kindly informed me. Apparently my problem came on just after she got her hearing aids, and she kept turning the TV down. :unsure:

She was not happy with where she went. Felt she was not given enough choice and pushed towards the higher priced models. Hence my OP on the subject.

Jerseygirl May 30th 2019 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12691406)
Thanks for the advice Rete. I called the provider my insurance uses and then called Costco. Even with the discount through my insurance Costco were about 25% cheaper. I use the optical department at Costco and have been very satisfied with the quality for the cost, so decided to make an appointment at the local Costco hearing center. Added bonus the hearing test is free.

I bought my hearing aid from Costco. Don’t know whether it is the same in the US, but the staff in Canada work for Costco and are not on commission, therefore they do not try to oversell. Fortunately the Ontario healthcare system pays the first $2K. I choose the type that can be operated from my iPhone.

Rete May 30th 2019 10:47 pm

With hearing aid selection, one needs to understand the degree of hearing loss involved, the type/range of loss and then you go from there. For many people there isn't a number of aids to choose from. Buying a HA is not just the cost. That should only be the second consideration. The first and foremost consideration is the type of aid which is needed for your type of hearing loss and then the manufacturer and its rating and service policy. No two losses are the same.

One thing to remember is that the HA comes with a warranty, usually for one or two years. My comes with a two year warranty. So within six months of the lapse of the warranty the HR is returned to the manufacturer for some problem (and yes, there usually is a problem) and when returned the two year warranty starts fresh.

I can't imagine how a HA can be operated from an iPhone? Unless you are saying your HA is iPhone compatible. With my Phonak, I can purchase separately what is called a Roger Mic which is over $600 which allows me to use my mobile phone without the speaker, attach to my TV for listening without using closed captions, etc. Instead I purchased a different attachment mic which is less expensive that does the same things but one person can wear the mic on their shirt and I wear the receiver on my shirt and in crowded situations, i.e. a restaurant I can hear every word that is said.

Jerseygirl May 30th 2019 10:58 pm

Yes Rete my HA is iPhone compatible. It does not work with other cell phones. I can adjust the range and sounds for several different environments. For instance if I am at a restaurant, I can adjust the range so that I can hear the person immediately by me and cut out some of the background noise.

Rete May 31st 2019 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12691455)
Yes Rete my HA is iPhone compatible. It does not work with other cell phones. I can adjust the range and sounds for several different environments. For instance if I am at a restaurant, I can adjust the range so that I can hear the person immediately by me and cut out some of the background noise.

Perfect!

excpomea Jun 6th 2019 1:17 pm

I use a similar type of device.
Added benefit I can stream my favorite radio station direct to my ears.
I use Resound LiNX2 devices, about $2k a side, but covered for free under the US VA system.
Costco sells a similar device at about $1100 a side

Jerseygirl Jun 6th 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by excpomea (Post 12694100)
I use a similar type of device.
Added benefit I can stream my favorite radio station direct to my ears.
I use Resound LiNX2 devices, about $2k a side, but covered for free under the US VA system.
Costco sells a similar device at about $1100 a side

Phone calls, music, TV programs etc...all audio from my iPhone comes straight through my hearing aid...unless I choose otherwise.