Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthy eating

Healthy eating

Old Mar 5th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthy eating

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Also, we only buy Juicy Juice for our daughter, and water it down heavily! It contains 100% fruit juice, but I would never give that stuff full strength to any young child. When we lived in the UK we never used Ribena, that stuff is as bad as Kool-Aid is here
We used the Ribena Toothkind - approved by dentists and nothing like Kool-Aid thankfully.

My kids have a genetic problem that effects their teeth in particular. So we have to stay right away from fruit juice - the dentist said it was ok for us to use the Ribena Toothkind every now and then though so I wish we could get it here.

I had assumed the fruit and veg was of a lesser quality because it simply had further to travel to it's destination with the country being much bigger than the UK.

I'd like to check out the farmers markets but I doubt I could make them a regular part of shopping though, because I just don't have the time to add another trip to the list of things to do at the weekend. That was what I loved about Sainsbury's, it had everything I needed all in one place. I usually go to three different stores at the weekend now to get my weekly food shop.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
Actually, Bob, I think you would find that if you got into the habit of shopping at a farmers market or meat farms place you would soon find it wouldn't cost you anymore if you go with what is in season. You wouldn't need to buy as much because it won't spoil as quickly or be bruised badly. You just don't waste as much.
I don't waste anything now...but as for farmers markets, there only open for a couple of months in the summer, so not really very useful year round...there is a greenstore near by, but that's well expensive, double the cost of the supermarket, so we do go get some bits and pieces there, like rice and flower which is cheaper as it isn't packaged....but it really isn't feasible in maine.

As for meat, there isn't any butchers...only thing we can get cheap is fish by the side of the road.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I had assumed the fruit and veg was of a lesser quality because it simply had further to travel to it's destination with the country being much bigger than the UK.
thing is, a lot of the fruit and veg in the UK gets shipped over from south africa as well as spain, so it can't be that bad an excuse for it over here...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We used the Ribena Toothkind - approved by dentists and nothing like Kool-Aid thankfully.

My kids have a genetic problem that effects their teeth in particular. So we have to stay right away from fruit juice - the dentist said it was ok for us to use the Ribena Toothkind every now and then though so I wish we could get it here.

I'd like to check out the farmers markets but I doubt I could make them a regular part of shopping though, because I just don't have the time to add another trip to the list of things to do at the weekend. That was what I loved about Sainsbury's, it had everything I needed all in one place. I usually go to three different stores at the weekend now to get my weekly food shop.
I agree, I miss Sainsbury's as well. Their fruit and veg was usually pretty good, especially the potatoes - hate the potatoes here, if you buy them in the supermarkets.

Ribena Toothkind hasn't got sugar, but it does have artificial sweetner....not an easy choice. What about just getting some fruit juice (Hansens is pretty good and has a pretty good variety) and watering it down a lot. I suppose they may not like it initially, but they'd get used to it eventually.

Another thing I've found here, which I really like, is a butcher shop. I was surprised to stumble across one. The meat isn't any more expensive....the taste a bit better than supermarkets.

I'm beginning to think I should own a farm and just raise everything myself.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I agree, I miss Sainsbury's as well. Their fruit and veg was usually pretty good, especially the potatoes - hate the potatoes here, if you buy them in the supermarkets.
pink ladies were great too, which they got from florida, so no idea why there so kack over here...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:51 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't waste anything now...but as for farmers markets, there only open for a couple of months in the summer, so not really very useful year round...there is a greenstore near by, but that's well expensive, double the cost of the supermarket, so we do go get some bits and pieces there, like rice and flower which is cheaper as it isn't packaged....but it really isn't feasible in maine.

As for meat, there isn't any butchers...only thing we can get cheap is fish by the side of the road.
I can imagine it is very frustrating when things aren't made available. I have to say we are very lucky where we are. We may be living closer to each other but shops are more accessible. I can totally see where you are coming from just from the differences I saw in NJ. The farmers markets where we lived were only open during the summer months, where as here they are open all year round.

Old Mar 5th 2005, 5:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ben
I can imagine it is very frustrating when things aren't made available. I have to say we are very lucky where we are. We may be living closer to each other but shops are more accessible. I can totally see where you are coming from just from the differences I saw in NJ. The farmers markets where we lived were only open during the summer months, where as here they are open all year round.

Yup, pick of the luck I guess, though it is very good in the summer, but then again, I don't blame them not opening in winter, just a spot nippy...and there isn't that much to sell in winter here, so what there is that is locally grown gets sold in the greenstores...Macintosh apples, now those are cheap, but that's about it.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 5:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Now who is making the sweeping assumptions here? Not every fruit and veg you buy in America is grown for size and tasteless. If you spend all your time at local supermarket chains, then that's probably what you are going to find. Same thing in the UK. However, if you take the time to find a, for example, farmer's market, you might find something worth eating. Also, in hotter weather, i.e. California all the time it would seem, fruit and veg will not last very long. Even when we lived in the UK our produce didn't last long in the hottest days. When we buy fruit during the winter here we keep it out in the garage, its very cold out there and our fruit really does last longer. Veg I keep in the fridge. I must say that I've never had any fruit or veg go bad before I expected it to.
<<snip>>
I'm referring to grocery stores which is pretty much where the majority of Americans and residents shop.

If you've read previous posts from me on the subject of food and food shopping, you'll discover that I shop at my local farmers market and also buy direct from farmers but I think much of the population does not get the same opportunity to buy produce this way. I have also participated in the Slow Food movement by buying a heritage turkey for last Thanksgiving.

Also, my Mum is an avid gardener and grows her own produce in the UK so I can easily distinguish mass produced produce against produce grown by an individual farmer/a co-operative and an individual.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 5th 2005, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by izibear
Whom here has taken to healthier eating than they were used to, since moving over stateside?
I must say I don’t eat any healthier since moving the US. We would eat out a lot at first as it was cheep but then I missed a good home cooked meal and was sick of eating burgers and Mexican as I lived in San Diego. So I started to cook again. There is a lake of ingredients to make a good meal. My other half is not a great fan of UK food he thinks we over rate it and to be honest he eats a load of crap and I have had a hard time trying to convince him that some other things other than burgers are better for you. It has taken me a while but I think I am getting there. He has cut back on his salt.

I have to agree with woodsy the quality of fruit and veg is so bad in CA for being grown a 100 miles down the road. May be they keep the over ripe for us as they have to send they less so ripe further away. I used to work within the food and retail industry and I know a lot of the quality is to do with temperature control. I have noticed a lot of the fridges run too cold and I am not sure they adjust them depending on the cooler weather. So you take it home to your slightly warmer fridge and it starts to wilt. Humidity does have a big factor on food rotting. When they water the salad and greens most of it is for show they don’t need to be watered as it caused it to wilt. How well does your local supermarket rotate the stock? The next time you are in have a good luck underneath and check the quality and that will give you an idea of quality control. In the UK we have better quality as we are more strict with temp control and rotation as there is a lot of completion at home so it has to be good and a lot of the produce is imported from Europe in the winter months to keep the cost down a bit as they can produce more due to there warmer climate. I hope this will help answer some query’s out there.

I think I will invest in a bread maker as I hate the bread here it is so sweet. I am lucky with my daughter she will not drink fruit juice at all so I don’t have the struggle of looking for a sugar free drink. My Doc said it is good that she is not interested and to just keep giving her plenty of water. No rotten teeth too young.
Happy mothers day for tomorrow to all you mums out there
Old Mar 5th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by effi
I am guessing that most of the people on here writing about this are either in their 20s or 30s. How can you say that eating out is cheap? Where are you eating, I want to go there? I find the standard of fruit and veg and most of the stuff I used to buy in the UK that I buy over here is way cheaper. Sure McDs is cheap, but is absolute shite. We do not eat out much, and never have fast food. I cook from scratch, but then that is how I was brought up, I am a fair bit older though than most of the people on here. If you are all anything like my sister who is 36, then you don't know how to cook, I know she doesn't.

I am 33 and can cook very well, problem is things I used to make at home, just don't taste the same, I make a mean italian meatballs with tomato and basil sauce, can't find any passata that isn't loaded with salt, chicken breasts are so full of water they turn to mush, my chicken balti has to be simmered for about 90 minutes just to get rid of the water in the chicken...
As for cheap eating out, my local mexican (which is fabulous, not a Taco Bell type place, uses all fresh ingredients etc) is so cheap its not true, can buy enough food for five people for less than $20, maybe its because of where we live, there are so many restaurants its not true so the competition keeps the prices lower but I know when we go out, I would struggle to buy the same ingredients to cook the same food at home as we pay in the restaurant...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 7:52 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

There is definitely something about eating out being cheaper and connected to where you live. Here on long island it isn't that cheap to eat out for a family of five. For us, it is a treat and I can get fruit and veg at good prices if I stick with produce that is in season.

when we went to Conn. we went out for breakfast. also when we drove down to Florida we stopped in SC for breakfast. As a comparison to these and how much we would pay here on long island for a family of 5 - here we don't get any change from $50 (includes tip) for breakfast, Conn. it was $40 and SC it was under $20 but we gave the waitress the full $20 so she actually got a much bigger tip percentage wise compared to the other two! In Orlando, Florida it was the same price we pay on Long Island.

I can certainly see why some people feel it is a heck of a lot cheaper to eat out than it is to stay in. It has nothing to do with whether you can cook or not, it comes down to basic economics. I know if we lived in SC we would be eating out all the time!!! Thank goodness we don't because my expanding waistline couldn't take anymore
Old Mar 5th 2005, 8:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
pink ladies were great too, which they got from florida, so no idea why there so kack over here...
Most produce like that is produced under contract with a given farmer, or is bid for as is the case with the cut flower market. The buyers for American-destined produce may feel that Americans won't pay top dollar for produce so they may well go for second-rate or Grade B product.

It's a hungry world out there and there are plenty of countries who need feeding. Have you ever checked the cost of produce in Japan?
:scared:
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by snowbunny

It's a hungry world out there and there are plenty of countries who need feeding. Have you ever checked the cost of produce in Japan?
:scared:
yup, but you seen the size of those apples and peaches?
Not to mention cubed water melon...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:39 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Right -- I checked with a friend who's lived in the US for three years (in Iowa) and now lives near London. He's worked at Tescos and is a foodie. He instantly said that Pink Lady apples are grown in Australia and that the only apple grown in England is (his words) genetically modified small and yuck.

Anyway -- he said bollocks to having inferior fruit/veg here. His complaints were: the milk is watered down so he looked for Jersey milk here; the bread is too soft so he looked for crusty bread; and the tea bags are too weak.

I did ask him if he'd tried putting an American teabag into an espresso maker. I wonder what the result would be. The teabag would certainly take the hint

Please note that living in a college town in Iowa is probably going to provide better quality stuff; however he has travelled all over the US and into Canada so.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:41 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Bob
yup, but you seen the size of those apples and peaches?
Not to mention cubed water melon...
There's an idea for a restaurant: a Japanese fruit bar. Instead of sushi, the lovely staff will take gorgeous and delicious produce, cut it up into bite-sized pieces, and serve it artistically arranged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.