Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare for retired mum

Healthcare for retired mum

Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare for retired mum

Maybe she should consider unretiring.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Assume this as well since here in MS $1700 monthly is over the threshold and in MA my friend gets only $850 a month in social security retirement benefits and that is considered over the threshold.
Threshold for states that expanded Medicaid is effectively 138% of federal poverty level. For a single person, that's about $1386 a month. Not sure why someone on $850 would be above the threshold; perhaps that figure is net of their Medicare premiums paid directly out of their social security? Or maybe they get SSI or Section 8 housing subsidy as well?

Originally Posted by Rete
Who in their right mind would allow their parent to emigrate to the US if the parent is destitute or if they the petitioner cannot afford to pay all the parent's expenses, including healthcare. So again based on his one and only post, she does have income just is being very prudent with it.
But equally who in their right mind would bring over a retired relative without having researched the availability of affordable health access/insurance first?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 18th 2017 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Threshold for states that expanded Medicaid is effectively 138% of federal poverty level. For a single person, that's about $1386 a month. Not sure why someone on $850 would be above the threshold; perhaps that figure is net of their Medicare premiums paid directly out of their social security? Or maybe they get SSI or Section 8 housing subsidy as well?
She inherited the family home (cottage) when mom passed away. The house is considered an asset and they want her to sell it to pay for her supplemental healthcare policy. Medicare comes out of her $850 monthly check.

Her daughter and granddaughters and one great granddaughter have moved into her 2 bedroom/1 bath cottage. No one receives welfare. Daughter and granddaughter help with the living expenses so that she can retain the house.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know in Colorado it is income not assets for Medicaid.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 2:34 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

MA does not include assets in MassHealth applications, just income. I was on MassHealth for over a year as I did not have enough income to qualify for ACA, even though I had assets that put me in
the 1%.

If you are an MA resident you qualify. After 5 years an retired immigrant is eligible for Medicare.

Last edited by nun; Jun 19th 2017 at 2:37 am.