Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare and Pregnancy in the U.S.?

Healthcare and Pregnancy in the U.S.?

Old Jul 1st 2012, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare and Pregnancy in the U.S.?

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
One month later we are now starting to get bills in the mail for 12k wondering what they are for despite excellent insurance cover and pre certifying everything. Monday should be fun calling up the hospital to try and get it resolved.
Expect bills like this to continue to trickle in for at least the next several months - I once got a bill for something that had happened 18 months previosly.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinseltown17
I rather like looking into this well in advance - my husband's colleague has just recently been transferred there, and organised maniac that I am, I'd rather want to know what's ahead of us if we go down that route.
Your husband's colleague will potentially become a very valuable source of information about a lot of these questions (assuming, of course, that this is something that you and your husband would feel comfortable asking them about).
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Agreed. Not sure about fortnightly but some friends had twins a couple of months ago with numerous routine scans - certainly a lot more than with a "normal" pregnancy.

Back 5 years ago the scan lasted maybe 15 minutes. Nine months ago with baby #2 the scan lasted a good half hour with far more tests and examination than previously, such is the progress of what they can do with ultrasounds now.
I'm glad I didn't have to have all those scans personally, but I suppose they do have a purpose.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm glad I didn't have to have all those scans personally, but I suppose they do have a purpose.
Every fortnight does seem a bit excessive if there was no reason to suspect anything wrong. A way to make money I guess.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

my experience is that even with "good" corporate group plans, healthcare is a nightmare here in the US (and Boston is meant to be the world capital for healthcare!)
- monthly cost around $1400 for a family, company covers about 75%
- deductible (excess) around $500
- copay every visit - $20 to see the doctor, $100 for emergency room, $400 if you have to stay overnight in hospital
- a hospital visit can lead to 3-4 different bills from a variety of private entities you didn't know existed.
- every medical visit leads to weeks of wrangling with the insurers
- wait months for routine care
- my son had to pay $1200 a month (well, we did) for time between college and starting a job. Gap year, anyone? (at least Obama-care fixes this, till age 26)

last year visiting back in London, got sick with a severe stomach bug, and after 3 days wasting away let my wife take me to the local hospital - got seen in 20 mins, no paperwork. And my mother in law in Manchester had better NHS treatment for cancer than anything I've seen here. I know every system has its problems, but the NHS is often simple and efficient. Michael Moore's Sicko is no exaggeration...
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yup they do! Ours run 25 min - of course I have twins in there. They measure EVERYTHING now. They can 'watch' the blood flow, the chambers of the heart, profile of face (anatomy indicator of Downs or other chromosomal problems) - Everything is checked and rechecked.

I only get one 4D one though - that is closer to 30 weeks.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Every fortnight does seem a bit excessive if there was no reason to suspect anything wrong. A way to make money I guess.
Well with multiples the risk factor goes up, so its standard, at least from every OB that I interviewed before picking mine. My sister had a singleton 5 years ago and went maybe only 3-4 times, tops.

We are lucky to have insurance, mind you!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Back for OP: don't worry about this part of your possible move here. If its a multinational, most likely there will be 2-3 plans to choose from, with ranges of premiums and deductibles. HR from the company will provide that info to you now or most likely when discussions are more set for a possible move, as this is part of the decision-making process and they know that.

Smaller companies offer most likely only one plan but it will be better than any private, individual plan you will find to cover you and your husband and/family.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Well with multiples the risk factor goes up, so its standard, at least from every OB that I interviewed before picking mine. My sister had a singleton 5 years ago and went maybe only 3-4 times, tops.
Yes, I understand that, hence my previous points, but does the situation really need fortnightly scans if everything to date is normal? The stuff you mention about watching blood flow, facial features etc is standard on the NHS for a single pregnancy, let alone multiples. Even checking the heart valves which is amazing to pretend that you really did just see it and understood what it was .

Of course, on the NHS you get the midwife and then health visitor visits at home for a good few weeks and then can pop-in to the baby clinic any time too. Something I understand is pretty rare here! Our cousin's baby has only been for two check-ups in 3 months, no home visits, and that was after delivery on her own in the hospital car park (classed as a "home" delivery as it didn't happen within the hospital walls) with low bilirubin (um, jaundice I think).
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinseltown17
My husband is working for a large company with headquarters in the U.S. - and so do I. On my husband's side, there's a good chance he may be transferred to the U.S. in a few years time (or Canada, but that would be a different forum). I'm not sure whether I could transfer within my company, but ironically, both our companies are headquartered in the same U.S. city!

Now, I know that healthcare in the U.S. is expensive. Could you let me know how much insurance usually costs for a (by then) mid-30s couple?

Given that one day, we may want to start a family - what happens when you fall pregnant? Does this get covered by the insurance? How much does it usually cost to give birth, etc. when you're there?
You may find this thread by Bob interesting. Early last year his daughter was born prematurely...he discusses some of their out of pocket costs. His wife has good healthcare insurance through her employers...even so the medical bills were significant and they are still coming in...over a year later.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Moving now or in a couple of years?

Any advice about now will probably be worthless in 2 years time, if Obamacare gets a shot at least.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
If you are covered under a company group health plan, don't worry a bit about falling pregnant here. We came specifically from Scotland for the health care as I was having difficulty falling pregnant and NHS wasn't much help in diagnosis nor treatment of our difficulty in two years. And we DID have the postcode lottery winning area! We came to Houston and within a DAY we had a diagnosis and treatment started immediately. I very soon fell pregnant with twins, which with our insurance, puts me immediately in high risk pregnancy, which is fine as I get seen every 2 weeks until week 28 then I go every week. This includes an ultrasound at each appointment. I'd never get that level of attention with NHS. Plus, for any complications, we are safe to know the number of Level III NICUs in Houston. (Although we are blessed and all is quite fine with the babies.)

However, I just met a lady whose son and daughter in law moved back to Scotland in order to give birth as they didn't have health insurance here. (He was self-employed contractor with only a catastrophic plan for themselves, which does not cover maternity.) Hospitals here demanded $10,000 deposit. And no confirmation of final charges as no one can confirm there will be zero complications. That does not include pre-natal or OB care. That is separate.

Sadly as good as the health care is in the USA, it is for those who can well afford it. For your case, I'm sure the health insurance offered by your respective companies will be quite adequate. Meaning, you'll not need to go seek private health insurance.
The level and quality of healthcare in the US is just as varied as it is in the UK. Some of it is top notch, some of it is shit.

The only difference between the two is one usually has the option to chose where to go on the NHS while in the US you are beholden to where your insurance tells you or where you can afford to.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by md95065
Expect bills like this to continue to trickle in for at least the next several months - I once got a bill for something that had happened 18 months previosly.
Our littlest one has just turned 17 months and we're still getting bills from her 3 weeks in NICU and delivery. At least some of these are addressed to her and not us, so what do we care of her credit history
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Our littlest one has just turned 17 months and we're still getting bills from her 3 weeks in NICU and delivery. At least some of these are addressed to her and not us, so what do we care of her credit history
I hope you are querying every one that comes through. We've just managed to save ourselves 5k in medical bills from my husband's surgery before Xmas by phoning and asking what they were for. Some had been sent in error, some had been processed at the wrong coverage level etc. I refuse to pay any medical bills without querying them. The whole process in mind boggling, I'm sure the insurance companies make millions from bills sent in error to people who just pay them.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by denzil75
I hope you are querying every one that comes through. We've just managed to save ourselves 5k in medical bills from my husband's surgery before Xmas by phoning and asking what they were for. Some had been sent in error, some had been processed at the wrong coverage level etc. I refuse to pay any medical bills without querying them. The whole process in mind boggling, I'm sure the insurance companies make millions from bills sent in error to people who just pay them.
Yup...but it's such a hassle. What's really annoying is that we moved and instead of sending some bills to our new address, they just sold them to debt collection agencies, so even bigger hassle to deal with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.