British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Healthcare issues with no SS number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/healthcare-issues-no-ss-number-804896/)

lj2 Aug 2nd 2013 4:11 pm

Healthcare issues with no SS number

Has anyone had any issues with healthcare coverage for children without SSNs or ITINs (not yet filed taxes)?

Mercer Trion seem about ready to cancel my children's coverage, which clearly doesn't work for me. I just wonder what others' experience may have been, and with what providers?

Bob Aug 2nd 2013 4:22 pm

Re: Healthcare issues with no SS number

Don't need ssn to have insurance.... And most people get insurance through work so don't have a choice.

SanDiegogirl Aug 2nd 2013 4:26 pm

What type of health insurance do you have? Looking at your earlier posts were you not transferred by your company - so should be on Group insurance?

Having SSN's etc does not usually come into the equation if covering children under their parent's policy on either Group or individual insurance.

Giantaxe Aug 2nd 2013 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 10832191)
Has anyone had any issues with healthcare coverage for children without SSNs or ITINs (not yet filed taxes)?

Mercer Trion seem about ready to cancel my children's coverage, which clearly doesn't work for me. I just wonder what others' experience may have been, and with what providers?

What basis are they giving you for cancellation? Are they worried about fraud? I am pretty sure they legally can't demand a social security number to use as an id.

Sally Redux Aug 2nd 2013 4:41 pm

It was not a problem for us.

Lbjen Aug 2nd 2013 6:47 pm

I've never been asked for an SSN or ITIN for my kids by the insurance company.

lj2 Aug 2nd 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks all. Yes, group insurance through work - I'm in the same puzzled boat as you all about why it seems to be such a problem.

sir_eccles Aug 2nd 2013 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 10832472)
Thanks all. Yes, group insurance through work - I'm in the same puzzled boat as you all about why it seems to be such a problem.

I suspect they just need a unique identifier that they can verify for your kids. Talk to HR at work they should be able to sort it.

SanDiegogirl Aug 2nd 2013 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 10832472)

You need to discuss this with your HR department and the insurance company handling your benefits.

Duncan Roberts Aug 2nd 2013 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10832476)
I suspect they just need a unique identifier that they can verify for your kids. Talk to HR at work they should be able to sort it.

They shouldn't. As long as you can show that they are immediate relatives of the subscriber then that's all they need. My son is 4 and our insurance company doesn't have his SSN and I refuse to give mine out to any providers or hospitals.

lj2 Aug 4th 2013 3:35 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 10832490)
You need to discuss this with your HR department and the insurance company handling your benefits.

I am. Just always feels better to come from a position of some knowledge or understanding, even if learned in haste.

Thanks all.