Healthcare Cover Upon First Entering the US

Old Nov 19th 2017, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthcare Cover Upon First Entering the US

Varies, best to ask.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Did they know you had migrated?
Yes absolutely we did.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
Wow, what travel insurance did you go with? We will be in same situation but on an IR1.

If an employer in the states provides a very good standard health care plan what will the cost be to us? Just co-pay? Or will we still have to pay a standard monthly premium? I know there are a lot of factors but i'm just looking for a rough estimate.

Cheers
It is through my husbands company, we were very lucky to have such great coverage.
Thankfully it was only the tooth that ended up being painful in the end!!

In terms of costs, the variables are too great to give you a costs.
I googled US health insurance explained, this gave me a brief understanding of how the system works. This along with calling my insurer and asking lots of questions, has help me understand our position and exposure.
There are some very knowledgeable people on here that can offer help and advise on this subject if you need it.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If an employer in the states provides a very good standard health care plan what will the cost be to us?
Unfortunately, there is no "standard" cost. It varies so much from employer to employer that there's no way to give even a rough estimate. You could pay zero for premiums (employer pays it all), or pay a couple of hundred per paycheck.

Just co-pay?
It depends on the insurance plan.

Or will we still have to pay a standard monthly premium?
It depends on the employer's insurance plan.

I know there are a lot of factors but i'm just looking for a rough estimate.
I guess for the monthly premium, figure zero to several hundred a month. Then depending on the type of insurance plan, figure a co-pay each time you see a doctor, go to urgent care, etc....or plan to pay out of pocket for all that up to the deductible amount until insurance kicks in 80% up to another level. Plus cost of prescriptions depending on the plan.

There's really no way to give you even a ballpark figure.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If an employer in the states provides a very good standard health care plan what will the cost be to us? Just co-pay? Or will we still have to pay a standard monthly premium? I know there are a lot of factors but i'm just looking for a rough estimate.

Cheers
There are always monthly premiums the employee has to pay (in addition to co-pays, deductibles etc).

There is no standard monthly premium, it depends on the type of medical cover.

However, for two of you (you and wife) budget anything between $300 and $500 per month.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
There are always monthly premiums the employee has to pay (in addition to co-pays, deductibles etc)
There are some (maybe very few) employers who cover 100% of the premium.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Many corporations added unmarried domestic partner coverage as an option in the years preceding the legalization of gay marriage, especially if they had operations in states with different laws on gay marriage (which would have led to unfair treatment of employees in homosexual relationships in different states). Unless that policy has been reversed now that gay marriage has been legalized, which I think is unlikely, then there is a very real possibility that an unmarried domestic partner can be covered on an employer's health insurance policy. I suspect that some evidence of cohabitation might be expected.
No, it has not been reversed. Although they might be hard pressed to classify her as a domestic partner since she is newly arrived in the US and as such has nothing to substantiate their claim to a domestic relationship, they can always try it.

Personally, I know of two domestic relationships with shared benefits. One is male/female living together for over 20 years and another is a married same sex couple.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
Thank you all for your helpful comments on this problem. Knowing that I can obtain temporary cover of some kind is a relief. I'm too paranoid not to have some form of cover upon entering the US!
It is not all that expensive to visit an urgent care center for medical assistance if you have a cold, the flu, a bladder infection, etc. Common aliments. The cost would be less than or perhaps the same as the monthly premium for a healthcare policy and if the policy has a deductible you are out of pocket for the premium as well as for the deductible and/or the co-pay.

If you had an accident, i.e. a car accident or fell in a public store or on someone's property, many states mandate that auto insurance covers medical costs associated with the accident and homeowner insurance policies will pay for your medical expenses and public stores will also pickup the costs of all medical bills if you are injured on their property (even if it is your own fault). A friend, at this moment, fell at Stop n Shop and fractured her elbow. It was her fault, she didn't look where she was going and tripped up the curb and stated as much on the questionnaire given her by the store. They are paying all the hospital, doctor, tests, physical therapy bills and offering her a tidy sum for her carelessness.

Your peace of mind is all important and if that means obtaining a policy for 3 months, then, of course, that is what you should do.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
..... Although they might be hard pressed to classify her as a domestic partner since she is newly arrived in the US and as such has nothing to substantiate their claim to a domestic relationship, they can always try it ....
A K-1 visa should be sufficient IMO.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A K-1 visa should be sufficient IMO.
Hey, no harm in trying. A K-1 visa only gives her the right to live in the US for 90 days which is not a domestic relationship IMHO. But then, MO doesn't count for jackshit.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Although they might be hard pressed to classify her as a domestic partner since she is newly arrived in the US and as such has nothing to substantiate their claim to a domestic relationship, they can always try it ....
A K-1 visa should be sufficient IMO, along side whatever else they have - shared address, wedding date, etc.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:20 pm
Concierge

Again, it is an opinion. Be interesting to see what HR has to say if they try this approach.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 10:22 pm

Again, it is an opinion. Be interesting to see what HR has to say if they try this approach.
Maybe, maybe not. I was only countering your (lMO) overly confident "most probably they will not ...".

It would certainly be interesting to hear if they do try.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for everyone's input on this. As I'm finally nearing my time to enter the US on the K-1, we've investigated insurance options via my fiancee's employer's healthcare provider. Unfortunately they won't add me to his policy until we can supply a marriage certificate, however I won't need a SSN. Which means if we marry pretty quickly (and we intend to) then my lack of coverage window should be reasonably short.

I'm intending to investigate interim insurance cover with the same provider, if they'll allow it.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

SSN is not needed.

If the same provider provides interim cover it will not be on the same terms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.