Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare and costs

Healthcare and costs

Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare and costs

Originally Posted by E3only
Brilliant, thanks for clarifying that. My 401(k) contributions are also taken out of the gross right?
Yes, there may be other things that will be as well like life insurance if they are offered.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Clarify this for me - sorry about these questions.

In Australia we have something called Medicare (public health insurance system). We don’t have the concept of copays. For common GP visits, we head to a GP and flash our medicare card  that’s it.

So are you saying here in the States, the co-pay is billed?
It might be. You will pay at the point of service unless they let you off, ER visits will usually let the co-pay slide and bill you. The service provider has no idea what coverage you have other than the co-pay amount printed on your insurance card. They will charge you that and then bill your insurance. The insurance will pay out, or not pay out, based on your plan and contracted rates with the service provider and then any remaining will be put on your account and you will get a bill. Some places are quick and within a month you will have your bill, some are not and you may get a bill a year or so later.

The thing you have to realize is there are thousands and thousands of insurance companies, most are localized, and then thousands of different plans and thousands of variations on those plans. It's impossible for doctors, hospitals, etc to know what will be covered under your specific plan or how much they will get reimbursed. That's why it's essential you know the ins and outs of your plan so you don't get stuck with an unexpected bill. Also remember that people get it wrong. You may get a bill because the provider submitted the claim incorrectly and they need to fix it. Billing errors are very common.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Jun 16th 2010 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
It might be. You will pay at the point of service unless they let you off, ER visits will usually let the co-pay slide and bill you. The service provider has no idea what coverage you have other than the co-pay amount printed on your insurance card. They will charge you that and then bill your insurance. The insurance will pay out, or not pay out, based on your plan and contracted rates with the service provider and then any remaining will be put on your account and you will get a bill. Some places are quick and within a month you will have your bill, some are not and you may get a bill a year or so later.

The thing you have to realize is there are thousands and thousands of insurance companies, most are localized, and then thousands of different plans and thousands of variations on those plans. It's impossible for doctors, hospitals, etc to know what will be covered under your specific plan or how much they will get reimbursed. That's why it's essential you know the ins and outs of your plan so you don't get stuck with an unexpected bill. Also remember that people get it wrong. You may get a bill because the provider submitted the claim incorrectly and they need to fix it. Billing errors are very common.

Got it thanks. I am used to carrying a public and a pvt health insurance card. If I avail private health insurance at (say) a dentist, they just swipe the card during billing which automatically checks with the insurer to rebate. In 3 seconds, they then tell me what my oweing is and I pay before I step out. End of story!

Here, as you guys explained - I need to know what my coverage is and once I am billed, need to check it before I pay!

I am learning slowly! Some of the things are so fanctasic here if I comepare them. But sometimes make me wonder - so behind times but I am realizing issues as we go so no complaining!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But sometimes make me wonder - so behind times but I am realizing issues as we go so no complaining!
Just wait until you get to banking.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait until you get to banking.
God, that has been a bit of a nightmare.I was astonished to see the charges they have, min balance requirement, bill pay charges, pay anyone complications.

I can't get a credit card so trying to get secured card and that is taking for ever! I mean I have put a deposit/bond and they still need 5 days to decide? Can understand couple of days but a week just to decide is over the top.

Just getting used to all the things though
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Got it thanks. I am used to carrying a public and a pvt health insurance card. If I avail private health insurance at (say) a dentist, they just swipe the card during billing which automatically checks with the insurer to rebate. In 3 seconds, they then tell me what my oweing is and I pay before I step out. End of story!

Here, as you guys explained - I need to know what my coverage is and once I am billed, need to check it before I pay!

I am learning slowly! Some of the things are so fanctasic here if I comepare them. But sometimes make me wonder - so behind times but I am realizing issues as we go so no complaining!
The US spends almost 4% of its GDP on health care administration. It really is a stunning mess, especially as that figure makes no allowance for the time that individuals invariably spend dealing with billing questions/mistakes etc.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, there may be other things that will be as well like life insurance if they are offered.
Don’t mean to drag on - this confuses me.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5232993_he...ductible_.html

Private Health Insurance
• The premiums that are paid for private health insurance can also be tax-deductible. The premiums for medical insurance and other expenses need to be included as itemized deductions on the tax return. In addition, a tax benefit will only be obtained if expenses exceed 7.5 percent of an individual's adjusted gross income (AGI). This means that 7.5 percent of AGI is deducted from the total amount of health insurance premiums paid to obtain the amount of the deduction

What if I do not itemize tax deductions and just get the standard deductions?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The US spends almost 4% of its GDP on health care administration. It really is a stunning mess, especially as that figure makes no allowance for the time that individuals invariably spend dealing with billing questions/mistakes etc.
And I thought Australia was a rip off.

From what I am picking up Australia has a far better 'system' but not necessarily better 'insurance coverage'.

For instance, if I enrol for a pvt health insurance plan I need to pay for 12 months insurance premiums before I can avail say major dental or Pregnancy benefits for my wife. So if she falls pregnant and we have pvt insurance < 12 months old she wont be covered at all! We then would fall under public health insurance.

Even if we are covered by pvt insurance, there are heaps of 'exclusions' on what costs will be covered. It's frankly useless.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought Australia was a rip off.

From what I am picking up Australia has a far better 'system' but not necessarily better 'insurance coverage'.

For instance, if I enrol for a pvt health insurance plan I need to pay for 12 months insurance premiums before I can avail say major dental or Pregnancy benefits for my wife. So if she falls pregnant and we have pvt insurance < 12 months old she wont be covered at all! We then would fall under public health insurance.

Even if we are covered by pvt insurance, there are heaps of 'exclusions' on what costs will be covered. It's frankly useless.
IMO the whole system a colossal rip-off here.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Tough luck - you don't get to deduct the proportion over 7.5% of your agi.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don’t mean to drag on - this confuses me.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5232993_he...ductible_.html

Private Health Insurance
• The premiums that are paid for private health insurance can also be tax-deductible. The premiums for medical insurance and other expenses need to be included as itemized deductions on the tax return. In addition, a tax benefit will only be obtained if expenses exceed 7.5 percent of an individual's adjusted gross income (AGI). This means that 7.5 percent of AGI is deducted from the total amount of health insurance premiums paid to obtain the amount of the deduction

1. Since your premiums are pre-tax they are already included in your deductions and don't need to be itemized.
2. Unless you spend over 7.5% of your income on healthcare expenses, not including insurance premiums, then you don't need to worry about it.
3. However you file your taxes you should have a check to see if itemizing will be better than just taking the standard deduction. Software or a CPA can do it easily.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

1. Since your premiums are pre-tax they are already included in your deductions and don't need to be itemized.
2. Unless you spend over 7.5% of your income on healthcare expenses, not including insurance premiums, then you don't need to worry about it.
3. However you file your taxes you should have a check to see if itemizing will be better than just taking the standard deduction. Software or a CPA can do it easily.
Thank you kindly. The premiums will not be close to the 7.5% AGI.

The software you refer to is the TURBOTAX or something?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Or, to be strictly accurate, the term "private health insurance" doesn't include group insurance provided by an employer. Employer-provided group insurance is currently not taxable to the recipient and is deductible to the employer. It doesn't figure into the 7.5% calculation for individual's deductions.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, or one of the many others.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you kindly. The premiums will not be close to the 7.5% AGI.

The 7.5% refers to other healthcare costs if the premiums are deducted pre-tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.